Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPSC vs. A048 vs. RA1 vs. Corsa vs. ??? (hoosier/V710/Escta v700)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:11 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

What a gorgeous car Colin.

MPSC are excellent for the track, just get them to temps as mentioned. I doubt there are many faster DOT tires around. If you heck out some data from another thread I posted, I was getting almost the same Gs than Hoosier on them. They do snap more easily but I have to learn to control my right foot on the throttle rather.
For the street they are certainly not my favourites (I find that P Corsa grip better when cold, amazing tires BTW, no wonder they came stock with the GT3RS), but far from being dangerous I would say.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I have also found the MPSCs to be competitive, winning C class at the Glen Clash PCA race last year, besting a field of cars on Hoosiers. Actually, I podium'd in every Sprint on MPSCs...
I have had a similar experience in D. I was normally the only person near the front not on Hossiers. Also, there is not a single top car running DSSRs, which should tell you something.

Btw, I found the RA-1 to actually be worse than the MPSCs in the rain until they had been scrubbed in. I tried driving the RA-1s freshly mounted in pouring rain, and they had very little grip.

(And I was 2nd at Lime Rock in the rain, and all the folks in front of me had rain tires like Hoosier Wets/RA-1s).

Originally Posted by Jean
What a gorgeous car Colin.
Thanks. Yours ain't too bad either!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried the new series of Corsas, and can comment on them compared to the old series or the MPSC? They look like more of a compromise tire, just wonder if there is a difference.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:06 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well guys.. I decided to order the A048s and try them out... I just don't like the picky MPSCs and if the outside temp is too cold here in the midwest... We really only have 2 solid months of promised 80+ degree days all day long and that means the MPSCs won't get the right heat in them if it's only 60 degrees outside (IMHO anyway)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:01 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ceboyd
well guys.. I decided to order the A048s and try them out... I just don't like the picky MPSCs and if the outside temp is too cold here in the midwest... We really only have 2 solid months of promised 80+ degree days all day long and that means the MPSCs won't get the right heat in them if it's only 60 degrees outside (IMHO anyway)
I just ran a 2:10.2 in the club race at Watkins Glen, and it was 65 degrees at best. My MPSCs had 22 heat cycles, and I had first run them at the Sebring race (where it was also about ~50 degrees, and the MPSCs were still good enough for a 2:27...). This is in my D class 964 Turbo, so a very similar car to your 993.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

o.k. well, maybe if I dislike the A048s, I'll try a MPSCs again (only this time in 235s instead of 225s in front and see if that makes any difference)...

It's odd cause I knew I used to love the MPSCs... go figure
Old 06-12-2006, 09:44 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Let us all know how you like the Yokos. I have been very curious about them.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David 23
Let us all know how you like the Yokos. I have been very curious about them.

will do!

I won't be at the 1st track DE event until June 30th but I will post back what I think for sure.... from what I hear, I'm supposed to expect the first 2 to 3 sessions to be pretty greasy and then the tires get better so I'll be taking it easy that first 20 minute session of the day
Old 06-13-2006, 12:25 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Did you sell your MPSCs?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David 23
Did you sell your MPSCs?
I sold the ones that were already mounted on the wheels BUT I still have 1 brand new unused one FS (I always liked buying spare backups just in case since they tend to run out of stock in the middle of summer right when I'd need one due to a nail or something stupid)...

So LMK if you wanted to buy this one new rear one off me for $250 + shipping (new was $308 + shipping from Tirerack)
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MPSCs 40degs in Rain can get grip

Can't give MPSCs a bad wrap. In support of Bull and 38D here is Pocono(May), 40degs, MPSCs with no tread and of course rain starts after a long delay. I think the track was being cleared after Larry's off in 2. Anyways, the windsheild has had a full bottle of RainX dumped on it and everyone else is on treads or R treads. I let them go for 5 good laps, tires heat up, and pull everyone back except the turbo and Tom D's 3.8 and 2100 lb red rocket. The point is, these tires are just fine in the cold, get em hot. Oh, the start is a plug for Larry since he won his race this weekend. Sorry for the length, still learning edits on the new system. Sound is off. I should have shot the wheel, since it was very busy.

http://bobt993.neptune.com?selectedalbum=bobt993253876
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

funny cause MPSCs almost totaled my car as I hydroplaned going in a STRAIGHT line while the track was wet and spun out into the infield (had there been a wall I wouldn't have my car any more).. but I was fortunate and only got shook up and lots of grass and dirt everywhere....
Old 06-14-2006, 10:13 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ceboyd
funny cause MPSCs almost totaled my car as I hydroplaned going in a STRAIGHT line while the track was wet and spun out into the infield (had there been a wall I wouldn't have my car any more).. but I was fortunate and only got shook up and lots of grass and dirt everywhere....
Maybe you just made a mistake and it wasn't the tire's fault.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:07 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D
Maybe you just made a mistake and it wasn't the tire's fault.

I suppose so but It was the first time in my life I ever hydroplaned (EVER)... I wasn't turning... I wasn't accelerating.. I wasn't lifting... just steady speed (obviously too fast for conditions in hindsight but the car in front of me must have had better tires since he was faster to begin with and pulled through that same straight at almost twice my speed.. go figure)....

...needless to say, I tend to avoid driving in rainy wet track conditions now (I'm not a racer going for points or anything like that and it just isn't worth it to me to drive slower and in the wet and risk another incident that can cause damage)... but I guess that's just me...
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Picture this. Front Straight at the Glen. Just before start finish. Car on my right starts to hydro at about 90 mph. He turns left in front of me. All I see is the broad side of a 911, 15 feet in front of my car. Perfectly perpendicular to me. I wish I had a camera. Anyways, he hit the wall drivers left, and thank God, kept the car against the wall. If he would have bounced back into me it would have been ugly...

Don

Quick Reply: MPSC vs. A048 vs. RA1 vs. Corsa vs. ??? (hoosier/V710/Escta v700)?