Sponsored by:

GT3 Drivers at Limerock this weekend: Question RE Spoiler adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Drivers at Limerock this weekend: Question RE Spoiler adjustments

Guys, I jumed into my GT3 and drove to LRP on Saturday with my brother. I noticed that most of the GT3 DE cars had the large orange wedge in the rear spoiler that really angled it down. Is this becase the top speeds at LRP are relatively slower than the GT3's top speed? Does this wedge really help with rear downforce? I do several DE's with my car and wonder how helpful the spoiler adjustment is?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, changing the wing angle does help keep the back of the car stable on higher speed turns. Most guys run with the 4 degree shims on regular tracks, and install the 8 degree shims for shorter tracks (like Lime Rock). Of course, the hot setup, but not legal for club racing is the RS wing. I felt a difference with mine.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yes, changing the wing angle does help keep the back of the car stable on higher speed turns. Most guys run with the 4 degree shims on regular tracks, and install the 8 degree shims for shorter tracks (like Lime Rock). Of course, the hot setup, but not legal for club racing is the RS wing. I felt a difference with mine.
Do you think there would be an improvement in lap times with the RS Wing?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Z06
Do you think there would be an improvement in lap times with the RS Wing?
I really think that it depends on your abilities, and how hard you drive your car. If you are the type who drives the car all stuck down, and well with-in the limit of the car, I doubt that you would notice a difference. If you are driving closer to the limit of the tires, and sometimes feel the back of the car get unsettled or even a little loose, then you probably would feel it helping, and could see some small lap-time improvement. If you are driving the wheels off of it, cornering under full throttle, and basically controlling the rear of the car with the steering, then it will make a significant difference. When you are on the edge like that, an improvement in the grip at the back of the car will be noticeable, and useable.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I really think that it depends on your abilities, and how hard you drive your car. If you are the type who drives the car all stuck down, and well with-in the limit of the car, I doubt that you would notice a difference. If you are driving closer to the limit of the tires, and sometimes feel the back of the car get unsettled or even a little loose, then you probably would feel it helping, and could see some small lap-time improvement. If you are driving the wheels off of it, cornering under full throttle, and basically controlling the rear of the car with the steering, then it will make a significant difference. When you are on the edge like that, an improvement in the grip at the back of the car will be noticeable, and useable.
Larry,

They way I understand it, the wing helps at speeds of 80 mph+. At these speeds I will try not to let the rear end travel around to much, I rooooll on the throttle at these speeds.

So I guess the wing will not help me very much... I can not see me being that aggresive at those speeds.
I run my GT3 at Mosport.

Do you have the rear end aggresivly slide around at those speeds?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I do agree that the wings don't start to work until you get up to 80 or so.

At these speeds, for me, the car is in a hard drift. That is not to be confused with that broadsliding, countersteering stuff that you see in some videos. It is where the back of the car is developing it's maximum slip angle, and it is definitely "wiping" the tires across the track. Along with that, you are unwinding the wheel (but usually never past center) to allow that car to accelerate in a widening arc. The traction on the rear tires is very tenuous at this point, and any additional loading (i.e. a wing) will provide more traction and allow for greater speeds.

I guess that if you are "feeling" the back of the car moving around at high speeds, then you may benefit from more downforce. I would suggest getting the wing shims (you need them for either wing) and going from the stock setting to the big (8 degree) shims. In back to back testing, if you feel a difference, and can see it on the stop watch, then you'll know. I do feel that the RS wing is a much better design, and provides more downforce with less drag. Plus you can't beat the coolness factor.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Larry
Old 05-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The RS wing is wider, protruding into the cleaner airflow to the sides of the car, not directly behind the rear window. That is why I have heard it is more effective at lower angles of attack and therefore with less drag.

I put the 4º shims in for last weekend at Shendandoah and could not feel any difference, but there are no real high speed corners there. I think the Glen will be a better test, although I'm not sure whether I was getting all four wheels off the track quite as high when cresting the rise after the bridge.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:06 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard that the RS wing at 0* produces about the same downforce as the stock wing at 8* with a bit less drag.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Based on the way it looks, the way it felt on my car and and the angle it sits at with no shims, I would think that a better comparison would be to the stock wing at 4 degrees.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could noticeably feel the down force at as low as 60 mph with the 8 deg. z06, larry is right, sounds like you could use the wing shims. i just got the rs wing so i'd be happy to report back on how it compares with the stock with/out shims etc after roebling and mid-o the next few weeks.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt3skea
i just got the rs wing so i'd be happy to report back on how it compares with the stock with/out shims etc after roebling and mid-o the next few weeks.
Just wait till you feel the difference up the fast esses at VIR. You can keep your foot in it and really walk away from everyone.

Quick Reply: GT3 Drivers at Limerock this weekend: Question RE Spoiler adjustments