Sponsored by:

PCA and lap records

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:19 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
We have been impounded after qualifying as much as after races. The scrutineers are smart and don't want us to think we can run without ballast for qualifying.
Mike is 100% correct on both accounts
Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Particularly in a series such as PCA where each practice is really qualifying for the next session. It isn't really "practice 1" as much as qualifying for qualifying for qualifying for qualifying...
+1. It is the reason for which I admire the guys who show up cold, with no test and tune or DE day prior to an event... Did that once... it did not work so well for me... We start looking at data from P1 onwards on Fridays... trying to find time with the set-up we settled on the day before.... Call me nerdy, but I aim to finish as high as possible every practice session, knowing full well the scrutes could send to tech or scales.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Particularly in a series such as PCA where each practice is really qualifying for the next session. It isn't really "practice 1" as much as qualifying for qualifying for qualifying for qualifying...
Then it's not really a practice session.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

At the Glen I was waiting for them to call "We are taking all your laps from the last 5 years and your best lap will be your qualifier"...
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
At the Glen I was waiting for them to call "We are taking all your laps from the last 5 years and your best lap will be your qualifier"...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Yep. Big kudos for Brian P. Rennpoints is a great resource, not only to keep track of records but also to know your competition ahead of a race.

One thing I have failed to understand how it works is the predictive laptime. How does it work (when a racer has not been to that race)? Seems that it compares race laps (so doesnt count the racer best lap vs the benchmark opponent) vs. lap records (that do consider fastest lap including all sessions).
It's a straightforward formula. It figures that your lap times relative to your peers stays relatively constant. So, if you generally drive 1% faster than a fellow driver in your class, it then sees what that driver does at the target track and then figures you'll be 1% faster.

There's a bit more logic in there to make sure that it's picking a good peer for comparison purposes, but that's the crux of the formula.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
+1. It is the reason for which I admire the guys who show up cold, with no test and tune or DE day prior to an event... Did that once... it did not work so well for me... We start looking at data from P1 onwards on Fridays... trying to find time with the set-up we settled on the day before.... Call me nerdy, but I aim to finish as high as possible every practice session, knowing full well the scrutes could send to tech or scales.
Agreed. Same strategy here. Practice 3 is specially important as you want to make sure that any car starting in front of you in Qualifying (green from pit entry) is really faster than you and will not ruin your Quali laps.

Most likely if you look at the top finisher for competitive classes (5 or more racers) it is usually the case that fastest lap time was done in Qualifying, while several of the mid pack racers probably get their fatest laps in the race when they get to draft, follow someone with a better line or be pushed harder to catch or not be cached by someone.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lap records should be race laps only. If not, you may as well open up lap records to DE runs too. Qualifying is about getting a solid lap sometimes your best, but often the first clear track run you get and then you go in. (unless you have unlimited funds to get another set of fast tires).
Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
I appreciate your admiration.

Quick Reply: PCA and lap records