Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA and lap records

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you are going through tech / scales after qualifying, a "track record" set at that time is hollow IMHO.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:12 AM
mrepka
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coco_951
To chime in on the practice vs. qualifying vs. race track records I think they should count all the same. I love that Rennpoints is now breaking down for each category but for a PCA track record I think it should be the fastest time, period. I race in a stock class and get lumped into the fast race groups quite often, undoubtedly there will be that guy in a GT car who pulls you by 6 car lengths down the straight but ends up parking it in the every corner so it’s impossible to get a shot at anything resembling a clean lap. Certainly you would be handicapping everyone who races and isn’t lucky enough to have their class of car in the front of the race group.
+1 In SP1 there is no such thing as a clean race lap, our race pace more often than not it dictated by the pace of the slower D and E cars.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mrepka
+1 In SP1 there is no such thing as a clean race lap, our race pace more often than not it dictated by the pace of the slower D and E cars.
I wouldn't have believed that possible until I viewed a video recently... thing is it happens in every race group!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
Unless you are going through tech / scales after qualifying, a "track record" set at that time is hollow IMHO.

FWIW, what I've seen is that whenever a record is broken or someone in a class posts a much faster lap than everyone else, gets called into tech/scales. At least that has been my experience 100% of the times
Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
FWIW, what I've seen is that whenever a record is broken or someone in a class posts a much faster lap than everyone else, gets called into tech/scales. At least that has been my experience 100% of the times
I've never seen that happen in a practice session
Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am with the Race Lap crowd here. What you do in qualifying is not held to the scrutiny of the rules of your class so how could that lap count as any form of record.

Am I missing something? Hasn't the Lap Record for any form of motorsports always been during a race lap?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Lap records, in most forms of Motorsports, include quali. Then again the cars are also scrutinized afterwards to ensure compliance with the rules. Heck some even include practice sessions (I believe Indianapolis does this).

The only reason I don't like the, quali is rehearsal analogy is that, it's (quali) part of the actual performance. It's more like act one. Perform bad and your act two (race) may not go so well. The two are linked and therefore it's not just rehearsal.

An open practice session, that's rehearsal.

Also most forms of Motorsports have the designation of Fastest Lap for the quickest race lap. A lap record could be a fastest lap but not all fastest laps are lap records.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
We have been impounded after qualifying as much as after races. The scrutineers are smart and don't want us to think we can run without ballast for qualifying.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

In D Stock it's normal for us to get scaled after practice, qual, and race...
Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
In D Stock it's normal for us to get scaled after practice, qual, and race...
DITTO, DITTO, I have been scaled, and impounded after practice/quali sessions
Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I've never seen that happen in a practice session
Well, I've always been impounded in practice whenever I posted a lap record.
They probably may become complascent if they see the same car-driver in same class all the time?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Practice is the wild west...shouldn't count. All sorts of games are played in practice sessions.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Well, I've always been impounded in practice whenever I posted a lap record.
They probably may become complascent if they see the same car-driver in same class all the time?
Odd to hear. I know people who run random stuff in some practices just to 'test' things out of curiosity, that's why using practice times for anything is a bit of a waste IMO.

Qualifying I could be convinced of being worthy for consideration. But I still like race as the only thing.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Odd to hear. I know people who run random stuff in some practices just to 'test' things out of curiosity, that's why using practice times for anything is a bit of a waste IMO.

Qualifying I could be convinced of being worthy for consideration. But I still like race as the only thing.
Not to be Pollyanna-ish, but "testing" anything that violates class rules during a race weekend is "cheating". Track days or D.E.'s are the place for playing outside class rules.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
Not to be Pollyanna-ish, but "testing" anything that violates class rules during a race weekend is "cheating". Track days or D.E.'s are the place for playing outside class rules.
Particularly in a series such as PCA where each practice is really qualifying for the next session. It isn't really "practice 1" as much as qualifying for qualifying for qualifying for qualifying...

Quick Reply: PCA and lap records