Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you stop motion sickness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:32 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How do you stop motion sickness?

I know there are gimicks and such. I just want to know if anyone here suffers from it and what you do for it that really works, besides Bonine. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have worked with several people on this problem.

First let me say that barfing in your own car, means you buy the drinks.

Firstly, its a really good idea to check your diet. Before doing something which might cause problems, avoid fried and fatty foods. Next stay off the beer/wine/spirits for the duration, particularly the night before. Avoid cigarettes, chewing tobacco, snuff, pipes and cigars. I tell you they have it better in a monastery! Get plenty of sleep, get up early, run/jog a little and then have a healthy breakfast. Yoghurt drinks are good, always have plenty of them available, together with a mineral water you enjoy drinking. Avoid any 'flavoured' drinks, watch your sugar intake, add sugar to the list of no-nos.
Make sure you are sitting properly in the car, so your body is and remasins completely relaxed, no matter what crazy things you are doing to the car. If possible, get somebody else to ride with you to watch your head movement, otherwise turn the videocam on yourself. Moving your head upß and down, or forward and backwards to check the instruments, for example, whilst pulling Gs can set off the owners of the strongest stomachs. I learnt when doing stuff in the air to keep my head still and just let my eyes move, moving my head forward to check the instruments could provoke real queaziness.
Talking to WRC navigators, they tell me that it is fairly common to be sick when practising and preparing for a rally, but that they are never sick during the competition itself as they are too busy. Something to think about there. Also Be sure to get yourself really firmly strapped into your seat.
It is also very importsnt to make sure that you are not getting disturbed by any fumes and vapours, not suffering from dehydration (vomiting dehydrates you). Make sure you don't have to squint against the sun or get nasty reflections, these all contribute to the problem.
Finally, have a good supply of T-shirts, balaclavas and nomex underware. Always wearing fresh clean clothes after each driving stint helps you recvover and makes you less likely to be sick.
If eating lunch avoid the problem foods, and the strongly flavoured ones as well, so stay off the chili sauce!
If you visit the Lamborghini web site, and check out their shop, you will see that they are offering Armani designed barf bags, tres chic!
The airforce ruins a program to help aircrew handle motion sickness, I don't know if you could get access to it in the US. Also, get a doctor to check you out, in case there is a problem, and get your ears syringed whilst you are there.

R+C
Old 04-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I been known to cause more than a few people to turn green. My good friend's daughter jumped out of my car and barfed right in front of a whole group of instructors in my club. I still hear about that. Funny though, I have never gotten sick in my own car, but I do suffer in other people's cars. Usually just one Dramamine, even the non-drowsy version, works fine for the whole day.

I am working on improving my diet, so that might help.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

I've had reasonable luck with the pressure point bands - little elastic things that go around your wrist and push on a pressure point. They have the big advantage that there are no drugs and they don't make you drowsy.

It *might* be placebo effect, but as long as no smart-**** says "they've done studies that say they don't work" - which I have never heard - then they ought to work.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Eat light and frequently the day of the event, salads are good, greasy foods are not.

Are you getting sick while driving or while instructing?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago, I went out for a ride with an instructor at Summit Point - just after downing a bowl of their world famous chilli! Other than a couple of burps, nothing else came up, which pleased the driver, Will D. So I guess I have a decent enough stomach. (Will's also a very, very smooth driver, BTW)

Back on subject - some other advise:
1. When driving OR riding with someone, focus further up the track - the further you look, the more you and your body will be prepared for what comes next. The sooner you know there's a right hander coming up, the sooner your inner ear will be able to 'set up' your equilibrium for what's about to happen.

2. When driving, focus on being smooth. Faster speeds at higher G's with more smoothness is far less harsh on the stomach than tossing a car into a corner harshly.

3. Relax. Go with the flow. The less tense you are in the car, the less likely your stomach will get nervous and want to expel its contents. Remember to breathe, and ease up on all your inputs - your hands shouldn't be in a death grip on the steering wheel - your feet shouldn't be tense on the pedals. If you've ever done downhill skiing or snowboarding, you know that you have to 'go with the flow' on the mountain - you can't fight it - you have to be loose, relaxed and calm on the snow. Same applies to driving.

Hope this helps,
-Z.

Last edited by Z-man; 04-17-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:34 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z-man
...focus further up the track - the further you look, the more you and your body will be prepared for what comes next. The sooner you know there's a right hander coming up, the sooner your inner ear will be able to 'set up' your equilibrium for what's about to happen...
This sounds similar to advice that was given when I was sailing. I was told the problem occurs when the brain gets mixed signals from your inner ear and your vision. That's why keeping your eyes on the horizon helps and why it's worse when indoors.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbaker
This sounds similar to advice that was given when I was sailing.
Sailing can be really tough, its good practice, however. If you feel a heave coming, and you want to hang onto it, breathe through your mouth. Sipping very slowly a fizzy drink also helps you keep everything down.

Be very careful about using any drug including herbal and similar remedies. Firstly check them with your own doctor and also then ask the doctor for the association that is running the racing or track day. 'Failing a drug test', could be embarrassing!

You can build up a tolerance to G, that is a big help for pilots. Oh, finally, women cope with motion sickiness (and Gs) better than guys, so a trip south of the border may be on the cards if all else fails.

R+C

PS the guys racing at night can sometimes find the combination of rain, wipers, headlights in the rear view mirrors and a bumpy track can cause them to become seriously disoriented, and sick.

Make sure your source of fresh air is pure. Formerly, several NASCAR drivers were thought to be suffering from dehydration fatigue when they were actually being subjected to Carbon monoxide poisoning.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:19 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If memory serves; most motion sickness is related to mixed signals to the brain from a circuit known as the lateral geniculate striate pathway which has to do with monitoring input of motion of objects and spatial reasoning from the visual cortex and the inner ear cochlear(balance) aparatus. When the visual cues of motion do not equate to the g-force inputs to the cochlear balance mechanism; nausea and dizziness results. Thus the validity of looking uptrack to compensate and ready the brain for what is ultimately coming; mixed signals ! Anyway, I find that taking Zyrtec (ceterizine) the night before boating or planning on DE instructing will eliminate all motion sickness without the side effects of dramamine. Check with your MD prior to taking any new meds and let your chief instructors know that you get "passenger" sickness. I do not rec. high performance driving while on any meds with potential for dizziness as a side effect.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I used to take a ginger capsule back when certain video games made me nauseous, it seemed to work well. Haven't felt that way in a car i'm glad to say!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the Mythbusters, ginger is the way to go. Just as effective as Dramamine without the side effects of drowsiness. I plan to try ginger on my next cruise.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always gotten motion sick, especially when I instruct at the track and I sit in the passenger's seat. I don't get sick when I'm driving.

My friend and I went up to the Minas Basin in the Bay of Fundy to go Kayaking and we went by ferry from Portland and I had bucladin (my mother-in-law is a Dr and she prescribed it) and dramamine in my pocket.

I stopped at a drug store and got two elastic bands with the pressure point bumps because I hate to take pills and got over on the ferry without incident, kayaked in 66 ft tides and came back on the ferry w/o incident.

I now have no motion-sick problems instructing if I wear the bands.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
I have kayaked in 66 ft tides
YIKES!! Holy water enema, Batman!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:53 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick964
. I plan to try ginger on my next cruise.

I prefrer maryann... but each to his own taste...

BTW.. when riding, pretend you are driving, and as suggested, look down the track... this prepares you for the abrubt changes in G-load
Old 04-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The patch - works every time. Only downside is generally a dry mouth (thereby giving extra motivation to constantly drink water and avoid dehydration)

Quick Reply: How do you stop motion sickness?