Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you stop motion sickness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motion sickness is wierd. I was in the Guard with a guy, that besides being a Cobra pilot, was an FAA Check Pilot, and probably had 5000 hours. He never got sick, except when we went to the flight simulator. Then it was barf city. He never solved it, and just carried a bunch of air sickness bags.

I know that is no help, sorry.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 04-17-2006, 06:05 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
This sounds similar to advice that was given when I was sailing. I was told the problem occurs when the brain gets mixed signals from your inner ear and your vision. That's why keeping your eyes on the horizon helps and why it's worse when indoors.

This was the advice I was given more than 40 years ago - when it was very common for me to get car sick. It works well, keeping your head up high - stop looking down, and by all means, cut the reading out while someone else is driving That, and for some reason, drink more water.

For someone like myself, the elastic bands did nothing for me - and dramamine only made me want to throw up more... Really, if there is a problem, please talk it over with your own doctor. Much has changed in the 40 years - and fortunately, many of the old myths have been busted.

Good luck, and if you come up with something new - please let us know.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that Z-Man has his new suspension, I no longer experience motion sickness when on track with him....in my car, watching his car!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 AM
svochuck
Instructor

Ginger is what we prescribed to the US Navy flight students.

also make sure there are no fumes getting in the car.
chuck
Old 04-18-2006, 03:32 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. As far as my health, I'm extremely healthy. Healthy enough to be invited to try out for the practice squad for the Seattle Seahawks and am in talks now with Men's Health and Men's Fitness for photo work. Diet is on, work out is on, sleep is good, I just can't stop being a ***** about motion sickness. I never used to get it. Now I get in on certain roller coasters, sometimes a boat if it's pretty rough water. I was at Bondurant and had to cut my time short last day on the track. From all your comments, I wasn't drinking enough water, I don't think. I'm better now. Since it has been getting worse as I grew up, maybe I'll get my ears checked. Also, a few of you suggested ginger? The spice? Do they have it in pill form? Thanks so much for all your advise. Trust me if I figure it out from all of your advise, I'm buying all the drinks. The girlfriend will too as she gets motion sickness easier and worse than anyone I know. I'm just sick of being the only one to need a bag at Disney World...
Old 04-18-2006, 04:27 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

if all else fails

http://www.lamborghini.com/2006/lamb...l.asp?lang=eng
Old 04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used this.... I’ve had it cranked up to 5 with my whole hand twitching and but with being thrown around the track with just a 3 point stock seat belt and a Jerky student even this does not work for me. But most of the time it really helps without any drugs.

http://shopping.msn.com/Specs/shp/?itemId=184257673

ReliefBand RB-OB for Morning Sickness
FDA-Cleared: For use in early pregnancy to relieve morning sickness symptoms.
Gently stimulates nerves in wrist for relief of mild to moderate morning sickness.
Drug-free: No drug-like side effects.
Easy to Use for Pregnant Women: Sealed membrane touch pad control. On/Off, five power settings (1,2,3,4,5) for wide range of comfort.
Begins to Work in Minutes to Relieve Symptoms of Morning Sickness: Worn on the underside of the wrist. No pre-planning. Use before or after nausea symptoms begin.
Replaceable Batteries: Insert two new CR2025 batteries for about 144 hours usage.
Two piece nylon and stretch elastic strap. Band is 9 inches long, Stretches to 10 inches with elastic. Holes are every 1/4 of an inch. Fits small (child-size) to larger wrists.
ReliefBand device is 2 inches long, 1.5 inches wide. Electrode area is one inch wide by 3/4 inches high. Wrist band is connected above and below electrodes (connections are mounted one inch apart.
Solid-state reliability. Shock-resistant. Water resistant to splashing water (waves and rain).
LED Indicators: Green, flashing LED indicator for Power On, Green Flashing LED for Power Level Selection. Red, flashing LED for Low Battery.
Large double clam shell electrodes for better placement for wrists of all sizes. Each electrodes is 3/4 inch long and maximum of 3/8 inches wide.
Operating specifications: 50°F to 113°F, Relative Humidity Range of 20% to 90% (non-condensing).
The RB-OB Obstetrics unit is CE approved for use in early pregnancy for morning sickness relief.
Note: Install Batteries with + sides down. Change Batteries only when unit is dry. Battery Tray Fits only with Arrows Up. Remove battery tray and batteries for storage. Do NOT immerse in water. Clean electrode area with damp cloth to remove gel build-up which may decrease stimulation.
HINT: Add Extra Gel and/or Batteries to Your Order With NO Additional Shipping Charge. Losing Gel or Running Out = Panic for Morning Sickness Sufferers. Gel is required for best results!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:06 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Does it work that well MJHanna? Have you tried the others like ginger? Still want to know if it is taken in pill form or what. Finally, thanks for giving me your advise guys. I can't stand feeling like that.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Does it work that well MJHanna? Have you tried the others like ginger? Still want to know if it is taken in pill form or what. Finally, thanks for giving me your advise guys. I can't stand feeling like that.
I've not tried the ginger but may in the future in addtion too. I would say its pretty effective. There are several instructors that use it. But once your head gets messed up its gone at least for me.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motion sickness starts with the inner ear, your balance center.
A good analogy might be; you turn around in a circle until you fall down and.throw up. If you stop turning, you feel better very quickly. Your balance center was just out of whack for a short time. The point is a part of you that you use in drivng and car control is not working well. Even if you can keep lunch from becomming launch you are not 100% as able to drive as if you were not motion sick.

Medications:
There are several good medications on the market. The best by a large factor is the scopolamine patch by Transderm Scop. It is still a prescription medication but usually easy to obtain with a simple call to your doctor. Dry mouth is usually the only side effect. but that is true with most all motion sickness medications.

There are several over the counter medications but the one I like best is Bonine. Drowsiness is the side effect but less so with Bonine than with other brands. To be effective you should get this medication in your system 8 hours before you will be exposed to a sickness inducing event. If possible, sleep on it and take more before driving and you tend to be less drowsy. That way, it's in your system and working with most of the side efictes worn off when you wake up. With pills the less sleepy it makes you the less powerfull is is for the most part but Bonnine is noemaly enough to do the job. The key is to use pills per the directions! Most folks that take any of the pill meds and say it did not work took the meds after they were already sick. This is too late to start for the most part. When you get sick you are mostly done for the day and your driving is compromised even if you can overcome the sick feeling.
Pass on the bands and pills if you have a reoccurring problem. Some folks love the bands but not one trial has ever shown that they do anything at all. Get the patch go drive and have a good time and be done with it. Don't blow yer weekend blowing chunks. I find that even 1/2 a patch started the night before works great with little down side. Read the directions and follow them to the T and you will kiss this problem good bye.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:08 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I'll echo Kurt's comments. I get extremely sick while instructing but am fine if I'm driving.

Bonine seems to work well for me. I tried the Dramamin non-drowsy formula; it worked but still made me a little drowsy and occasionally a little dizzy.

I've tried the pressure-point wrist bands (non-electrical) while flying as I occasionally got airsickness when I traveled w/ my job. I never got sick using them but could have just been coincidental. I haven't tried them while instructing on the track (I don't have THAT much faith in them, but they may work).

Last year I started using the Scopalamine patch and it works terrifically. No side effects and 1 patch lasts me a 3-day weekend. Just make sure it's on well and avoid scrubbing the patch while in the shower. I put it on early the morning of the event (about 3 hours before instructing) and have never had a problem.

I don't think I've met another person who gets sick playing driving simulators at Dave & Busters. 5 minutes and I'm ready to puke (I guess the beers beforehand don't help).
Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ginger works....it really does. Also, I used to go sailing with a group in BVI and several of those people would eat PLAIN microwave popcorn to settle an upset stomach. No I wasn't sailing with the Redenbacher's
Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Ok, ginger it is. I still don't have an answer on how to take it though. I'm assuming pill form. So how many milligrams? If that doesn't work, Bonine or the bands, last, as I'll try anything once, PLAIN microwave popcorn. Sounds almost crazy enough to make sense. Thanks to all.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Back when I got it at the health food store it was in capsules, I would guesstimate aroung 500mg..

Quick Reply: How do you stop motion sickness?