Sponsored by:

My next race car

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 Superkarts and other stuff

My Porsche ain't finished yet, but I'm prepping for my next project. Take a wild guess. What will I build next...?

Last edited by Pierre Martins; 03-02-2006 at 05:40 PM. Reason: thread's taken a new meaning
Old 01-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Hmmm... Let's study what's in the picture. I've got it!

A WORKBENCH!

...wait, wait...

A Workbench with WHEELS!

...wait, wait...

A Workbench, with wheels, that's powered by a Makita table-saw motor AND GOES 200 MPH!

...wait, wait...

A table-saw motored, 200 MPH Workbench, with wheels, THAT CORNERS AT OVER 2GS!

Man, that was easy...
Old 01-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Shifter cart.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

bingo
Old 01-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

You fellas are sharp!
Old 01-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Well things happened real fast since I started this thread. I was getting ready to build a new kart for the '06 season, but Friday I got a call from Veron Pappas (a local Superkart legend and multiple champion). He landed a drive in V8 supercars this year. That means he won't be racing Superkarts this year. One thing lead to another and his '03 & '04 championship winning kart now belongs to me. Just got home and snapped the pics below.

Veron matched Porsche 956 lap times at local short tracks with this kart. It also holds outright lap records at various tracks around the country.

A really nice piece of kit. It is properly set up with corner weights and has less than half an ounce tolerance between all four wheels. I've also got a new kevlar fuel tank, new brake discs and a new lightweight radiator. Everything's been prepped and serviced, ready to race. The motor has been rebuild and I intend running it in at a local track on Wednesday if the rain ****s off. (it's been pissing down nonstop here)

My old kart has been sold to a lady racer. She will be the first lady driver in 250 Superkarts as far as we know. Her name is Elna and she will also be testing her new ride come Wednesday. There are quite a few newcomers to the series and a few of the old (but fast) dogs are making comebacks, so this has all the makings of one helluva season!

Man this is a good start to 2006. Anyway, I just hope I can post remotely respectable lap times in my new kart. The bull**** ends here. Now I have to produce the results. Wish me luck.

You can read race reports from my rookie season HERE - I will post regular updates of our '06 season if you guys are interested.

Cheers,
Pierre.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Wow. Now that is cool. I was actually just reading about the south african series. I am seriously thinking about getting a kart in the next few weeks.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:35 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just love go-karts. Since I don't own one I frequently do three hour races in a rental go-kart cup and some day I hope to be able to try the real thing. Those things must be a real challenge to drive!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

What are some good resources for reading about karts? IK figured you guys would know. IE maintainence, series breakdown, chasis etc...
Old 01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sweanders
I just love go-karts. Since I don't own one I frequently do three hour races in a rental go-kart cup and some day I hope to be able to try the real thing. Those things must be a real challenge to drive!
er.... this is no go-kart.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
What are some good resources for reading about karts? IK figured you guys would know. IE maintainence, series breakdown, chasis etc...
There is a huge difference between "karts" and 250superkarts.

To undertand superkarts read this popular science article and make sure you click on the "next page" link at the bottom of each page. It tells a story of ex world champ Moto GP racers Eddy Lawson and Wayne Rainy.

It's a good read.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:05 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951

try www.ekartingnews.com

i just bought but have yet to receive the following highly recommended book

http://www.mgspeedsecrets.com/store.php
Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Very trick!, Congrats!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen
Very trick!, Congrats!

Thanks mate.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Prepare to laugh your *** off.

I was at the track bight and early with the new kart. Whipped off all the bodywork and the seat in 5 minutes flat. Yes 5 minutes. With my old kart you're talking at least 30 minutes. I marvelled at how this thing was constructed. Minimum effort to work on. Everything is there for the purpose of going fast without swanking, yet, it is so well thought out with quick release lightweight bodywork with just the right little brace here and there to keep things sturdy. Obviously loads of development have gone into this kart.

My karting mate, Vaughn, dropped by to bring me some fuel, but more due to curiosity methinks. We gave it a once over. Not surprisingly it was very race worthy. The only thing I had to do was tighten the chain, wipe it clean and stick the bodywork back on.

Time to fire it up. First problem. For the life of me I could not find neutral. Vaughn tried, same thing. So screw neutral, I just clutched it. Eventually we got it fired up after numerous attemts, checking for spark and whatnot. I warmed it up and killed it.

Time for the first session and I was like a kid on xmas eve. Again, it wouldn't start. We trollyed the kart uphill, got a good run and it fired. Still no neutral, so I was riding the clutch much better whilst putting on my lid and gloves. Had to really slip it off the clutch to get going. Right you bastard let's see what you got. Nothing. It kept bogging but I managed to keep it going. Down the back straight the clutch had enough and said bye bye.

Phonecall to Veron went something like this -

Hey man, the clutch packed up on the outlap.
Huh, I've never had clutch problems with the kart.
Well, it aint got no neutral either.

What?
Yeah I'm tellin you man, no neutral.
Hey Pierre, the shift pattern is the other way round from your old kart.
Huh?
You were in 6th gear.
Oh ****.

We both just packed up laughing. Coming from bike racing I should have known that. I saw the elbow link was upside down but I never clicked. I'm a ****ing *******. Anyway, I'm taking the kart to Veron in the morning so we can stick in a new clutch assembly while he busts my chops I'm sure.

Cheers,
Pierre.

Quick Reply: My next race car