Old 01-11-2006, 06:50 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Cool!!! My karting partner just got a superkart. I still thinks it's a bit crazy. I don't mind doing 120mph in my 125, but 140 or more seems a little crazy.

I've only done a few races they last two seasons since my time and money's been going into my engine and EFI system. I'm about done with the 930 and the local kart roadrace schedule looks very good, so I should make several races this season.

I should also get the 930 to the track for the first time this year and it'll be interesting to see how my kart skills translate to a full size car (I still bet my kart is 5 to 10 seconds a lap quicker).
Old 01-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pierre.

Does this now mean you are going to be the first guy to lap sub 60 seconds at Zwartkops? I mean with your talent and all . . . L O L.

Regards

Johan
Old 01-13-2006, 01:24 AM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat Top
Pierre.

Does this now mean you are going to be the first guy to lap sub 60 seconds at Zwartkops? I mean with your talent and all . . . L O L.

Regards

Johan
Hey Johan, I was just browsing your site.

Unfortunately the kart is way faster than I am, so it will take a while before I get to grips with this thing.

Cheers,
Pierre.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pierre,

You wouldn't happend to have more information/pictures about the GT Junior you have? I just love them!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rassel
Pierre,

You wouldn't happend to have more information/pictures about the GT Junior you have? I just love them!
I'll round up some pics and post them here soon. I don't have time to race this little car at the moment, so I'm giving a youngster, Deon, a chance to race it in the local historic car racing series. Deon has to provide race reports for my website as part of the deal. I'll probably start another thread and post links when the time comes. We're trying to get the car ready for the David Piper invitational due a few weeks from now.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pierre

If I provide race reports will you add my name on the drivers list as well? LOL. I'm not young but I'm quick!

Johan
www.almost.co.za
Old 01-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Two long days of very hard work and this is what my new kart looks like now -

Last edited by Pierre Martins; 01-21-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:26 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

that is insanely cool looking. I would love to drive that. How much did it end up costing to build if you do not mind me askin?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS
that is insanely cool looking. I would love to drive that. How much did it end up costing to build if you do not mind me askin?
Thanks man.

+/- US$ 15k as it stands.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:56 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Damn, its like the batmobile. Pierre you are nuts man I enjoyed reading your reports! Keep em coming this year. I must ask you a q though. What the hell is Lekker? And this statue thing drives me crazy
Old 01-22-2006, 05:14 AM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJF1
What the hell is Lekker?
Thanks Danny. "Lekker" is local slang for cool, nice, sweet, that sort of thing.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Okay, I finally managed to do some good laps with the new shopping trolley today. Here's how it went -

First session I was a bit rusty, but the kart felt way, way better than my old one. It's more balanced in corners, brakes are awesome and it's much quicker in a straight line than my old kart.

Local legend Veron did consistent 1'03"s around Zwartkops Raceway in this kart. He did an equal time to a Porsche 956 - 1'01" once in practice last year, but the track conditions were superb that day. On race day he was back in the 1'03"s. That is still quicker than the quickest GT2R's in the country. Now if things were up to me I would have loved to go out there today and break the lap record, but like Eddy Lawson said - If my aunt had ***** she'd be my uncle.

I decided to use Veron's 1'03" as a benchmark and see how close I could get to his times. With my ex team mate Vaughn timing me I was eager to impress and by lap 4 I was in the 1'07"s, but it felt quite slow in this kart, so I thought I'll turn things up a notch or two and tried turn 1 flat out. Before I could wipe the **** from my eyes I did a complete 360, caught it as I fell off the track heading for the inside tyre wall at some stupid speed. I tried to miss the tyres but clipped the last few with the left side of the nose cone and left side pod.

Lucky no big damage. The subframe of the nose cone was slightly bent and one of the uprights were cracked. Other than that the tyres were flat spotted a tad and I ruined my brand new spray job on the nose and side pod. I was lucky.

The David Piper circus is in town with some awesome machinery. Porsche 917's Ferrari P33's, Lola T70's, McLaren MIC's, Mustangs, Cobra's, Corvettes, you name it they're all here. Fantastic cars to see in the flesh I tell ya! Anyway, track time was bound to be limited, so I decided to go out minus a nose cone for the second session. Well whaddya know 1'04"s consistently! Whithout a nose cone. I'm so chuffed I can **** my pants and it won't even stink. I think I'm gonna be on pace this season.

Third session I went out without the nose cone again and ended up playing axe murderer with the bigger cars, overtaking them under braking, on the inside, around the outside, I pretty much carved them up at my leisure. When I came into the pits I was swamped by a mob of curious people ooh-ing and aaah-ing about the kart. Geesh, I felt like a celeb! Some people had never seen a Superkart in action before, so I took some time explaining what they're all about and trying not to brag, but it wasn't easy. He-he.

Anyhow, if today is anything to go by, I should be quick this season. The engine in the kart will be my spare engine. I'll be back at Zwartkops next week breaking in my race engine, which is supposed to be even quicker than the engine I used today. Next Wednesday I will also hand over my old kart to the lady who bought it, Elna and help her with setup. She needs track time.

The pic below was taken by Vaughn before I went out for the first session.

Cheers for now,
Pierre.

Last edited by Pierre Martins; 02-01-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:33 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

they let you run with the fullsize cars? wow i wish they'd let us do that over here
Old 02-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by penguinking
they let you run with the fullsize cars? wow i wish they'd let us do that over here
They let us out with full size single seaters on busy days. It's good fun.

Quick Reply: My next race car