Sponsored by:

My next race car

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spare a thought will ya?

I recieved the email below yesterday from a 250 superkart friend in Ireland, Geoff McBride, the editor of acceler8 magazine, who I write for.

So sad when something like this happens. Shoot a prayer for his loved ones please.

Pierre.

Hi Pierre, at the start of the second superkart race yesterday at Kirkistown, Mervyn Campbell (Matts uncle) lost control of his kart going through the flat out kink, ran onto the grass on the outside of the corner and barrel rolled into the infield. The kart rolled about four times with Mervyn still in it at which point it threw him out about 25 feet in the air. The medics tried to resuscitate him for about twenty minutes but we think he died on the way to hospital with a broken neck.
The whole of karting over here are in a state of shock.
Mervyn was 46 and had raced karts on and off for 30 years. He had a near fatal accident when he raced bikes 10-15 years ago and had only came back to karts this year racing the kart I had driven at Silverstone in October.
Mervyns wife Sharon, his dad Eddie and his brother Keith were all at the circuit when the accident happened.

Geoff
Old 05-02-2006, 02:50 AM
Byron_944
Pro

Originally Posted by Pierre Martins
Spare a thought will ya?

I recieved the email below yesterday from a 250 superkart friend in Ireland, Geoff McBride, the editor of acceler8 magazine, who I write for.

So sad when something like this happens. Shoot a prayer for his loved ones please.

Pierre.

Hi Pierre, at the start of the second superkart race yesterday at Kirkistown, Mervyn Campbell (Matts uncle) lost control of his kart going through the flat out kink, ran onto the grass on the outside of the corner and barrel rolled into the infield. The kart rolled about four times with Mervyn still in it at which point it threw him out about 25 feet in the air. The medics tried to resuscitate him for about twenty minutes but we think he died on the way to hospital with a broken neck.
The whole of karting over here are in a state of shock.
Mervyn was 46 and had raced karts on and off for 30 years. He had a near fatal accident when he raced bikes 10-15 years ago and had only came back to karts this year racing the kart I had driven at Silverstone in October.
Mervyns wife Sharon, his dad Eddie and his brother Keith were all at the circuit when the accident happened.

Geoff
Old 05-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

As far as anybody can recollect there have been no karting fatalities in the Irish championship in over 40 years. There have been three at Brands Hatch, one last year and two at the one meeting in 1996.

Last year a girl was killed after hitting a kerb in the Rotax Max race at Isle of Man.

Locally there have been no fatal accidents in superkarts that I know of, but there was a racer who ended up in a wheelchair after a crash at Kyalami years ago.

Last edited by Pierre Martins; 05-02-2006 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply: My next race car