Traq Mate vs. DL1

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Traq Mate vs. DL1

Can someone please comment on their experiences with either the Traq Mate or the DL1 Data Logger? I am interested in ease of use, as well as overall usefullness as an analysis tool. I believe they are priced somewhat competitively. Lastly, have they truly helped your lap times?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:58 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at the Racepak unit? I am pondering a data aq system for next year and wonder how they all compare. The Racepak looks very user friendly and comes with an LED display for a price less than DL-1 without display.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:41 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I think software and expandability are the big issues you want to look at. Also, if your car is OBDII or not is important.

There was some discussion of this recently at Corner Carvers:

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=25850
Old 12-17-2005, 04:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by K964
.... Lastly, have they truly helped your lap times?
You mean we're supposed to TIME our laps? Great, now I've got to go buy a stopwatch.
Happy Holidays Mike,
Old 12-17-2005, 07:36 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Can someone please comment on their experiences with either the Traq Mate or the DL1 Data Logger? I am interested in ease of use, as well as overall usefullness as an analysis tool. I believe they are priced somewhat competitively. Lastly, have they truly helped your lap times?
I have a DL1 in my 964 RSR. What do you want to know?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:09 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I have a DL1 in my 964 RSR. What do you want to know?
How easy is it to set up? How "user friendly" is it? Have you been able to truly utilize the information gathered to post faster lap times?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:31 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go to the site and download the DL1 software for free. There are good help files in there to tell you everything you need to know about it and how it works. The software is everything, the DL1 hardware itself is easy to plug in and turn on.

How to interpret the results is another matter. I have found one of the most beneficial ways to learn is to compare laps by me to another (faster) driver in the same car.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:16 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Well, like any tool, the DL1 won't make you a better driver unless you use it correctly. It won't drive your car, but it will help you see very clearly where your deficiencies lie, or where you're inconsistent, or which variation in approaching a given turn works better. One of the most useful features is the software's ability to break the track up into segments. This allows the computer to create a 'best possible lap,' which shows what you're capable of when you stitch all of your best segments together into one ideal lap. But the segments were also really useful for me in looking at the differences between me and my co-driver when we were getting ready for the Open Track Challenge. We might be running identical times at a given track, but the DL1 software would show that he was faster on certain segments of the track, while I might be faster on others. We could then look at what we were doing differently (driving line, braking points, throttle points, etc) and -- ideally -- benefit from what each other was doing better.

You can also look at the effect of things like different tires or suspension settings -- not just on overall lap times, but on each particular section of the track. Additionally, you can get absolute numbers on lateral grip, braking ability, etc. for changes -- and you're not just looking at the effect on skid-pad type testing, you're looking at the effect on the actual tracks you drive.

With the DL1 software, you can also trade files with other drivers, and -- again -- see exactly where they're doing better than you on tracks you drive. The data will show you pretty much everything they're doing, too -- which is a lot more reliable than their memory of speed/braking point/throttle point etc.

And one of the coolest things it offers is the ability to overlay all of that data -- precise speed, RPM, lateral and accel/braking G's -- onto your in-car video clips, so that the data can be connected in a very direct way with the actual things you were doing in the car. Even cooler, the TrackVision add-on software will also add a little picture of the track with a dot showing the car's position to the video.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jack---that is exactly what I was looking for. Where did you get yours, and how much did you pay?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:14 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I bought it direct from the manufacturer. Luckily for me, I bought the DL90 a long time ago, when the dollar was stronger, and took advantage of the upgrade price for the DL1.

If you'd been looking three weeks ago, I could have pointed you to a group buy that a bunch of Honda drivers were doing, that got them 20% off. It might be worth putting some feelers out on some of the 911 boards (like here and Pelican) to see if there's interest in putting together another group buy.

Quick Reply: Traq Mate vs. DL1