Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanna know what a 997 cup car makes on the dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:31 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leh, is this a one race deal or are you in the #80 Synergy 997 with David Murry for the season?

Adam/Cory, what are Autometric's plans for this year?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

grand am GS porsche 996 or 997 is a stock porsche with a ecu upgrade and the cats removed.

Grand am rolex GT are the stock supercup cars, but no sequential shifters

world challenge GT are cup cars with the motorsport upgraded engines, but lots of GT3RS suspension components and other tweeks, making near the power of a GT3RS with its restrictor for ALMS . they run a few seconds slower than ALMS GT3RS times, yet only on DOT Toyo tires.

IMSA is the stock cup car with spec tires

PCA is stock cup car

the above is just a general flavor of the differences. im curious now, who changes the gear boxes from the sequential shifting that the new cup cars running in the supercup seriers have. does the new owner make the mods, and if so, where does the sequential gear box end up? back at porsche motorsport germany?

MK

Originally Posted by tar6day
How do the different series Cup cars differ? Grand-Am vs GT World Challenge vs IMSA vs PCA
Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The 997 Cup car's running in the Rolex series can run the sequential gearbox.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Hey, where did they go???

I wanted to show a friend the similarities of a viper and a GT3RS . same Hp, different torque, and close to the same Hp curve shape as well.

folks sometimes dont get that HP is equivilant to torque , through the gears, at any vehicle speed! two cars with similar hp will accelerate the same, regardless of the engine torque values!

MK

Originally Posted by kingleh
ok

here is the dyno sheet

here is the 997 cup car Vrs the 3RS

here is the one you wanna see... a brand new 05 996 motor Vrs the brand new 997 cup motor.....

just for fun here is my Boss's Supra Vrs the 997 cup

and here is a gt3 street Vrs the 997 cup

Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Konstantin
The lower HP are common for car that delivered outside the professional Carrera cup series.
I mentioned many times but people do NOT want to relise this.
You are down about 15 HP from a top pro car in the Supercup. There is a way to find this hp if you know the secrets of these engine.
Based on the performance I saw with 997 GT3 Cups at the Rolex 24, I'd say the maps got changed for the better over what the cars arrived with. The 997's also seemed to handle better than the 996's and they really put the power down well coming out of the corners. Realiability for a long race still seems like a question mark for the 997, and the attrition was higher than usual this year. I noticed Farnbacher did a late engine switch in the Red Bull car that I heard had been over-nighted from Germany. Seemed like most everybody had some issues.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Yes Farnbacher/LOLES changed the engine after they changend the gear box but not for power. They had a problem that they did not knew the reason and hoped this way they will solve it. (it is a bad think not to know the cause of the Problem)

The car drove with a broken suspension for the last hours of the race. That was about 2 sec slower than with the "good" damper

Konstantin

Quick Reply: wanna know what a 997 cup car makes on the dyno?