Sponsored by:

Barber lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Barber lines

Here are my thoughts on the lines at Barber. First, I do not pretend to be the best driver, but I have put in 13 days at the track (15 after this coming weekend), and I have tried numerous lines. My current line can be seen in the following video (www.dpo.uab.edu/~tnagy/PBOC2.wmv). Please feel free to critique it, as I'm always looking for a quicker lap time. In my case, I think that means growing some cajones and keeping the pedal to the floor more. I also want to make sure that I'm teaching my novice students the best line.

I slow way too much for turn 1, it is much faster than one thinks. After much experimentation, I've determined that in my car, hugging the inside of 2 and 3 works best. I like to late apex 7 and turn back to the left some for 7A, that puts me in good position for the right hander (7B). I tend to stay off the curbing on the left as it generally causes me to lock the front wheels when I try to brake after the curbing. As for the kink, I used to be able to go WOT through there, but having just added 80hp and different gearing I was not hitting it as fast as I should. Going into 11 I slow too much, but I want to make sure that I late apex it and hug the left side, this sets me up for a late apex of 12 and gives me a little more piece of mind cresting the hill (this weekend I'm going to try and downshift to 3rd going into 11, that should give me more power up the hill and get rid of the shift at 14). 14 is trouble, I still don't know the best line, I tend to straighten the car and head for the left side and break hard and turn in hard. I once rode with an instructor in an E30 M3 that hugged the inside line from 13 on. He would lift hard on 14A and allow the back end to rotate in a controlled slide and catch the car with the throttle. It was an very quick route through the corner but also a very easy way to head off track (I did that once when I didn't quite catch the back end).

Thoughts, comments, critiques?

Last edited by Lemming; 11-23-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:42 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Video, Tim !!!

I'm using your video as a "Refresher"...

it's been a year since the last great...

"TracQuest Adventure @ Barber" !

Cya @ the Track,

Trumper
Old 11-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Nice Video, Tim !!!

I'm using your video as a "Refresher"...

it's been a year since the last great...

"TracQuest Adventure @ Barber" !

Cya @ the Track,

Trumper
I assume that means that you'll be here this weekend? I'll be there both days, stop by.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:04 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had not seen a video of Barber, it looks like a great track. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:28 AM
J3
Cruisin'

It indeed is a great track, very technical yet fluid. Had a blast out there today - unfortunately it ended with my Nissan breaking the CV boot (and consequently a nasty CV joint). Time to limp home...
Old 11-27-2005, 02:27 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The track looks superb. Great combination, with much more flow than the 'buzz' suggested. Its on my 'must run' list. I've been a slave to the race series schedule for the last couple of years, so maybe soon its time to take off an run tracks like Barber, Mosport, Mt Tremblant, Road Altanta that are already on the must run list! So many tracks, so little time.

Thanks for the video - great stuff!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:45 AM
944racer
Intermediate

I was out there this past weekend for the TracQuest event, I thought I saw Tim out there, but I wasn't sure. I was the small dude that was on that loud mini-chopper thing, of the three guys that were riding around on it.

Sorry for the hijack, but looking at the video, it's close to the line we run, but in turn one you may want to track out a little more and swing out before hugging the inside. I try to center the car over that inside seam before starting the dive into turn 2. Those are the only differences I could see. Do you race, DE, or autocross? Or all of the above?

By the way, my name is Sean, can't figure out how to do a signature on here...
Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Right you are, 944 racer.

We were following the inside black stripe... about 12 feet above the inside radius thru turn one, sloooowly coming down to apex at the bottom of the hill ( turn 2).
Old 11-30-2005, 12:07 PM
944racer
Intermediate

First time through, I tried a similar line and liked the feeling much more of the way I described it, taking it like two different turns, almost. Z06, were you there this past weekend?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:15 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Yes, I was there instructing... this was my second year with TracQuest @ Barber. My ride is a Silver Z06' 04, number 11.

On Saturday... I had three students, two were sharing a C-6 Z51 in Yellow, and Steve has a late model ( 93-97) Mazda RX-7 in blue.

On Sunday morning, Ray asked me to ride with him in Blue. He has a Suburu WRX all wheel drive. We were FLYING by everyone.... watching others... either pedaling SLOOOWLY... or spinning. All wheel drive is Great... in the wet.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
944racer
Intermediate

Yeah, I remember seeing the C6, were ya'll paddocked with Rick, guy who drives a grey and red 944?

And yeah, I love watching the AWD track cars, they always amaze me

Oh yeah, I think that the RX-7 guy paddocked next to us, I believe it was him that played some great music while just hanging around, helped things out a lot
Old 11-30-2005, 12:21 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

We were west of the Bldg... about half way down after pit exit.

Jeff was on my right, Blue Z06 and a Yellow Porsche Carrera, on my right was Glen with his black 996 TT x51.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
944racer
Intermediate

yeah, i think i had to ride the chopper past yall a couple times. TracQuest/Chin Motorsports really puts on a great event, kudos to those guys!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Tim was there (Lemming), instructing. Thanks again Tim...for the Video.

Yep, Chin/TracQuest... puts on good events. Y'all come on out and join us next year.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:04 PM
944racer
Intermediate

Hey, I think I might actually know Tim... Did you happen to take your car to Eurasian at any point in time? If so, I used to be a fairly common face down there...

Talk about a great lunch, TracQuest/Chin puts on some great meals, that's for sure. Not to mention they seem like pretty good guys.

Quick Reply: Barber lines