Sponsored by:

Guns, ammo and the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All in all, I think it's fantastic that some cops got this kind of driver training. If more police understood what DEs were really like, they'd be handing out flyers promoting the events along w. the speeding tickets they issue!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:37 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

While surprised, I sure do appreciate the community's viewpoint on this topic. Sure makes me feel much better.
Thanks all

JAck
Old 10-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

I was told that since they were "on duty"...
To heck with side arms... I'm still trying to figure out why there are on-duty police at a DE.

We have a county deputy who instructs at CMP occasionally. Yes, he gets to count it as training. But he uses his own car, is not uniform, and is not armed.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:45 AM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

We did have a car catch fire on the track that weekend, in addition to the wrecked beautiful gt3.

Would anyone instruct a student wearing an armed sidearm?

Do you think the Road Atlanta or the BMW CCA folks were notified?

Jack[/QUOTE]

On a side note, did anyone else note the irony of the wrecks at RA. In August at the PCA DE two (2) BMW M3's were totalled. Then in the BMW DE a Porsche GT3 bites the dust. Are the DE gods trying to tell us something????
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Go ahead, let's see you *NOT* give me a point by now! mmwwwaahhh!

Last edited by BrokeAss; 10-28-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RXDOC
Are the DE gods trying to tell us something????
The track is not Disney World, perhaps?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:25 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Would you pull over if the cop turns the "blue lights" on when he's behind you on the track???
Old 10-28-2005, 10:35 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Both my Sig Saers... model 229 & 339 are always in the " HOT CONDITION". I have a concealed carry permit... but DO NOT take weapons onto the track.

I really don't know if the officers weapons were "loaded", but I certainly hope not!

Sigs are really safe... "carried hot", I'm not sure that Glocks are.

I instruct... mostly the high power cars so... I didn't run with them in the Novice group. If they could catch me... I would certainly give them a " Wave-By". Hopefully using more than one digit.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Sigs are really safe... "carried hot", I'm not sure that Glocks are.
The only way to carry is "hot," and Glocks are extremely safe; as long as one does not pull the trigger they will not discharge. Of course it is a really good idea to keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to discharge the weapon. You can see a report, and a link to the video, of a DEA agent who forgot that in front of a classroom full of students HERE.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Trumper,

Actually it is Sig Sauer not Sig Saers and the reason they are safe to carry chambered is they are double action AND the firing hammer cannot touch the firing pin unless the trigger has been depressed. They are very safe guns.

I would have thought that having that heavy belt would be uncomfortable being tossed around the stock Mustang seats.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:09 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

We have officers show up in their squad cars once in a while. One of the local counties gives them credit for training if they take a DE. Once in a while one will show up with a pursuit Camaro that only has one seat, the other seat of full of computer stuff. We just send them out by themselves and have them follow. One of funniest things happened once when we were egging one of the officers to drive with his lights on. Well guess what, one of the cars actually pulled over on the track!!!!!! I found it funny but others didn't. It did cause a mess on the tracks as others didn’t want to pass the car that had stopped.

George
Old 10-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
The track is not Disney World, perhaps?
Bless you, my son.

Re: firearms - someone needs to explain the 'wisdom' of carrying an unloaded sidearm. WTF ? Why not just carry a stalk of celery ? It's just as useful...more usefully actually...if you get hungry, you can always eat the celery.

Cocked & locked, baby.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:30 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Reminds me of a gentlemen whose name escapes me at the moment who instructs for the Evo School. He is a Driving Instructor for the NYC Police Dept whos also an SCCA National champion, as are most if not all of the Evo intsturctors. He was rather stern in his instructing demeanor, but thankfully, he never pulled a pistol on me, at least.

(for those of you unfamiliar with Evo its an AX school which travels the country to local venues doing somewhere north of a hundred+ school days a year. They focus on ocular driving...for those of you who believe in AX as a benefit to track driving, you might consider doing one of their schools... about $250 a day depending on local conditions. There are four phases, the first is on AX basics, 2nd is on reading the course rapidly, the 3rd is on plotting the best line and the fourth is known as the challenge school in which you compete against your instructor in the same car...really cool!)
Old 10-28-2005, 12:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not surprizes you were a little take a back by the firearms.

Certainly not a common thing. It does seem rather safe however as these folks have been trained in proper handling of the weapons and carry them all day long for many years with little cause for concern.

What I do like is having law enforcment getting proper high speed driver training. I know they have police drving schools, but learning how to controll a car at speed through twisty roads is critcal skill.

All too often it seems like Police talk about "slowing down" if drivers would just "slow down" everything would better. Well maybe some will learn if folks got better driver training things would be MUCH MUCH better.

It is not speed that is dangerious it is lack of skills and attention. Folks can be hurt or killed even in low speed incidents, but someone who pays attention and has good skills is far better off.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple thoughts come to mind:

1. Must've been fun passing a cop at 100mph knowing he can't do anything about it!

2. If they wanted to pass someone, did they just put on their red & blue lights?

3. If someone didn't give them a pass, a little persuasion with a firearm would have moved them over quite quickly!

-Z-man.

Quick Reply: Guns, ammo and the track