Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guns, ammo and the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005 | 10:05 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

What do our event organizers (Todd) think about this. Do tracks, national sanctioning organizations or insurance companies care? Is in discussed in the endless paperwork we all regularly sign?
Jack
Old 10-31-2005 | 11:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by FixedWing
Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't. I've known all kinds of police over the years. For many (most?) their ego was completely tied up in it. For others, it wasn't. Some were very professional. And yes, sometimes, they really did need to carry.

There are places where one cannot carry a gun. If they cannot be without their gun then those are places they cannot go. If I had any say about it, the track would be one of those places.

Stephen
What's the big deal?
Old 10-31-2005 | 11:02 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

While surprised, I sure do appreciate the community's viewpoint on this topic.
Surprised? Bring up a "firearms" discussion and you're sure to have a heated debate in no time at all. Stay tuned and watch the transgression.............proceed.
Old 11-01-2005 | 11:30 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Originally Posted by shiners780
Surprised? Bring up a "firearms" discussion and you're sure to have a heated debate in no time at all. Stay tuned and watch the transgression.............proceed.
No kidding, we might as well be talking about Roe v Wade, polarizing to say the least. My final salvo on the subject, the misuse of firearms by police officers is statistically insignificant as is the misuse of firearms by law abiding citizens, the issue of having someone legally able to carry a firearm with one at a track event is just not a safety issue. Having someone with a high powered car and no ability on the track is much more of real issue.

I am on to finding a new motor for my 944 turbo, one without a hole in the block. THen again maybe that hole in the block was not caused by a rod afterall, where were those coppers when that happened. I did hear a bang....hmmmmmm.
Old 11-01-2005 | 02:34 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I have to take my cell phone off and remove my wallet from my pocket to get my skinny *** to fit in my new Recaro Pole Positions. How could I carry?
I think my harness bar could double as a rifle rack tho....
Old 11-01-2005 | 02:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
I have to take my cell phone off and remove my wallet from my pocket to get my skinny *** to fit in my new Recaro Pole Positions. How could I carry?
I think my harness bar could double as a rifle rack tho....
For just a minute there I was thinkin' y'all had to be from Texas.

What I want to know is if you have a gun rack in the back of an American pick-up are you supposed to have a katana rack in the back of a Japanese pick-up.
Old 11-01-2005 | 02:59 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Worked in Awl Bidness in Texas for years.
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:41 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Sorry I didn't have time to read the entire thread but I feel strongly that police should be carrying all the time. Let's face it, whether you agree or not, they are on duty 24/7 and expected to protect us. I personally admire and am thankful for all those folks who put themselves in harm's way so I can sleep soundly at night. To quote Jack Nicholson, "You want me on that wall, you NEED me on that wall". We certainly do, and thank you.
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:41 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My first driving school ever was in CA when the CHP had the 5.0L Ford Mustangs, someone with a sense of humor purchased a training car from the academy in Sacramento, refurbished it and used it as a DE car that day. For about 3 seconds, I damn near had a heart attack (being 17 at the time, it sure felt like one anyway) when he caught me in turn 1 and put the red and blue lights on! That bastard!

First time on the track, and I thought just for 3 seconds that speeding like I was, I was going to get a ticket. That was my first track experience with the "Johny Law" and a cold sweat.

Old 11-02-2005 | 11:24 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

There is an BMW SCCA IT car on the east coast that is painted up as a 'black & white', and even has the 'gold stars' on the doors. At first glance, it might as well be a Crown Vic or Impala. Pretty freaking funny, really...
Old 11-03-2005 | 12:22 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Car also is logo'd "To Protest and Swerve". Funny as hell. ;-)
Old 11-04-2005 | 03:11 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love this thread. I thought this would be an issue for only us Southerners but man you guys are chimming in from all over!

My question, does my .44 mag give me more passing authority than another driver with just a .38?
Old 11-04-2005 | 03:14 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PMS993
I love this thread. I thought this would be an issue for only us Southerners but man you guys are chimming in from all over!

My question, does my .44 mag give me more passing authority than another driver with just a .38?
Yes, but not as much as my "Alley Clearer"....sawed off 12 gauge pump.
Old 11-04-2005 | 03:17 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Yes, but not as much as my "Alley Clearer"....sawed off 12 gauge pump.
OK, then bringing my F/A 18 Hornet buddy to a DE allows him to bring a couple of sidewinders?
Old 11-04-2005 | 03:37 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Of course! But, he must still follow the passing rules.

Quick Reply: Guns, ammo and the track