Sponsored by:

Sebring.........the wall

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:53 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sebring.........the wall

If you have driven Sebring lately you might have noticed something a little different out there by turn 16.
We used to tell student drivers "hey if you go into 16 too hot just drive off, there's about 2 miles of cow field out there and unless you are unlucky enough to hit a cow you will be OK to go".......

Not any more! Now there is about 20 feet of grass and a VERY unforgiving cement wall!

The wall runs the length of the back straight and it's purpose is to create more viewing space (Read big bucks from RV Parking) for the 12 Hours Race.
While I love the 12 Hours and hope the powers that be make money, I know of four or five folks who have smacked it hard already, (don't worry Bob, no names will be mentioned here!).

We (Suncoast and Gold Coast PCA) are running a DE threre this weekend and I hope to get a chance to speak with the powers that be about the sense of having a obviously dangerous wall up for the other 11 months of the year.

If you know of anyone who has hit the wall on the outside of 16 let me know so I can try to "get it gone".

Dan Smithyman
DE Chairman
Gold Coast Region PCA
Old 09-23-2005, 12:19 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

There were no cows out there, but lots of rattlesnakes.

But maybe they can sun themselves on the wall now.

Dumb move on the track's part -- good luck with it. We race there in February.

I thought you were going to say they moved the wall back on the inside that guys regularly hit when they hook it at track out...

Last edited by Mike in Chi; 09-23-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:34 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Damn I almost lost it there a few times and saw a few cars ahead of me spin on that VERY slippery turn... what a shame...
Old 09-23-2005, 09:07 AM
DanS911
Pro

Right, 16 is now the scariest corner at Sebring, often greasy and perfectly placed walls on both sides!
Watch your butts boys and girls.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dan,

That's not good.

When you talk to them, ask why not start the wall little "later" when the straight starts so that someone coming in too hot can still drive straight out AND the track has more paring even though it might be 100 ft less wall.

Something like this:
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:18 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh the balance between driver safety and spectator money! Actually they could just remove the wall for the remaining 11 months and replace it for the 12 hour. But of course that would mean more expense for the track which they would pass on to the clubs. I for one, wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee per event to have that wall removed. I mean, how much could it cost to remove and replace the wall once a year?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:20 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Dan, they should have tires infront of the cement walls. that should be a minimum.

Often they move the wall on drivers right out for the 12 hrs (and other pro races), but it was always moved back after the race. putting a wall on drivers left, is a new issue. as I remember, there were no tires on drivers rt wall...

Also try talking to SCCA

http://www.cfrscca.org/officials.html

Course Marshal and Safety stewart....
scca insurance certification means a great deal.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:47 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The above illustration by Flying Finn only shows the wall on the grass side. Since this year's 12 Hours, there's a wall on the inside of the back straight as well, a concrete boundary wall about 4 feet tall separating the paddock between the front and back straights from the back straight (between T16 and T17). Just trying to clarify things here.

That new wall greatly reduces the width of the back straight and therefore also reduces the runoff area. I've spun at T16 a few times, and I think the only wall which really poses a problem is the one on the INSIDE of the track (right side as you're driving), not the one in the pasture. I mean, if you TOTALLY (and I mean really) overcook T16, you can probably save the car by driving out into the grass and trying to stay parallel to the track.

About a month ago at a Chin DE, I was too aggressive with the steering input coming out of T16, the back end came round, and I ended up parallel to the inside wall facing oncoming traffic out of T16. Luckily there wasn't any traffic directly behind me and the corner worker flagged me back onto the track. No damage, but it was certainly a close call made needlessly closer (and more dangerous) by the wall on the inside.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:47 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Speaking from experience They should remove that outside wall in IMHO at least...right-on! I messed up there last Feb @ my 1st CR I think, now in hindsight, if that wall on the left wasn't there, or anywhere close, I would have not hooked it. I've also driven the track w/o the wall, and as said, you just didn't have anything but cows and fire-ants to worry about.
It sure would save $amage, less Yellow's ..or even Black flags.
Count me in Dan.
Bill
Old 09-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Bill

You are indeed a brave man to dredge up those memories in the best interests of your fellow racers
Old 09-25-2005, 07:39 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

.....on the other hand, what a great place to watch T16 and the back stretch... think we can drive over there for a DE?

Seriously,
Tire Bundles infront of all Strike zones please........
Old 09-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
.....on the other hand, what a great place to watch T16 and the back stretch... think we can drive over there for a DE?
FWIW, the photogs are rather pleased with the revision. It's created one of the nicer shooting locations at the track. ...although the safety of the drivers trumps the desire of the media.

http://www.autosportimage.com/what/g...318_b_2021.jpg

http://www.autosportimage.com/what/g...319_c_3435.jpg

http://www.autosportimage.com/what/g...318_b_2116.jpg
Old 09-25-2005, 11:15 PM
DanS911
Pro

Finn unfortunately they cannot have a structurer half way down the streach that you could run head on into (sideways seems to be OK). So it's all or nothing.

"I think the only wall which really poses a problem is the one on the INSIDE of the track (right side as you're driving), not the one in the pasture."
NAHADIHI, sadly you are wrong. While the inside wall surely has it's own set of concerns the one in the pasture has been smacked several times that I know of personally in its short lifetime.
That was kinda the purpose of this thread.

Anyway I met with the people at Sebring Friday and expressed our concern (I was speaking for the Gold Coast and Suncoast regions of the PCA), they said that Mr. Chin had done the same.
They are sympathetic to our concerns. It obviously is a cost thing.
I noticed this weekend that there is now a chain link fence, running behind the wall the length of it, not good for easy removal.

Stay tuned but don't hold your breath.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Very nice shots Bob

Would an e-mail campaign help, Dan?

I know a number of drivers that regularly attend the Feb club race are on this board...
Old 09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll certainly participate in the email campaign...

Quick Reply: Sebring.........the wall