Sponsored by:

Sebring.........the wall

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Yo Finn,

How far is the wall from the track ? and where does the wall it start? (relative to the exit curbing) And are there any tires infront of the wall?

On the T14 Left hand sweeper, yes is slippery, but the thing I watch for is dropping a wheel off on drivers right, theres a hole (usually filled with red clay/dirt) just after the curbing ends, (before you start to make the left turn) and if you hit it, it would hook the car... big time.

For me the key is looking ahead and planting the gas. then straightening the car for the brake zone right after the apex.

on T17, in RACE mode, & in traffic, I always hugged the inside line, right next to the bridge, then tracked out after the bridge. It is very effective to keep following cars behind you until the track out. (they will have to pass on your right, once you cross, so it kinda kills their momentum.) --plus you can pass on the inside there when they leave the door open! note: theres a huge bump at the bridge but once you know its there, its ok. (of course it adds another point or two on the pucker meter)
-the other thing about the inside line is if you screw up on the braking you have some room to recover.... before you see the tire wall.

The DE and Fast line with no traffic is deep and wide doing most of the turning before the bridge.

-On the T16 wall, would you be concerned sitting in the right seat with a student driver?

thanks!

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 09-28-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill,

I think it's at about 30-40 away from the track at the turn and then less after the turn.
It starts where the turn starts (if you'd drive straight instead of turning, you'd hit the wall) and there are tyres stacked in front of the wall. Not along the straight but at the part where you'd most likely "hit".

T14,

I do the same, almost always flat (or little less if I have passed someone) and yes, it's the braking that's the trickiest part but my car doesn't feel that planted as some of you guys. My speed is 120 mph right before I brake.

T17, I like it, especiallt the sound when WOT coming under the bridge and car bouncing!

T16, I didn't feel uncomfortable with my student but he wasn't going that fast either (and for that speed was controlling the car well).
If student was at the edge of his/hers cababilities and I didn't know if he/she can handle some oversteer, I think I'd be litttle concerned.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem, as I see it, isn't if you are oversteering but if you can't turn in at 16. I have always told students that if you can't make the turn just go straight. Now I can't. If they hook it, they will hit the inside wall, but if they are plowing and then go off straight, they will likely hit the outside wall. Probably won't get hurt but the car will be damaged. I still think the cost of removal/replacement of the wall once a year for the 12 hour spread out over all the events that occur throughout the year wouldn't amount to much.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
The problem, as I see it, isn't if you are oversteering but if you can't turn in at 16. I have always told students that if you can't make the turn just go straight. Now I can't. If they hook it, they will hit the inside wall, but if they are plowing and then go off straight, they will likely hit the outside wall. Probably won't get hurt but the car will be damaged. I still think the cost of removal/replacement of the wall once a year for the 12 hour spread out over all the events that occur throughout the year wouldn't amount to much.
True, even though there is at least some time to react before you're on the grass witout grip.

IMO, one good and not that expensive way to imrpove safety there would be to replace that grass with asphalt in that area outside of the corner. Same principle as there is kerb outside of 15 and asphalt outside of the kerb.

This way you could still go straight out but would have grip to either stop or slow down and drive back to the track.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:07 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

30-40 yards (meters) right? (not feet)

I thought there were 2 pro races a year at sebring.

if so, it should be comming up... october fest? trans am? (or is that history)

I kinda doubt it would pay to remove the stands and barriers, but I'd like to see an estimate.

Still think the SCCA will have more pressure to change it. (thats why moroso's T9 and T10 Armco was moved back a few years ago... scca saftey track inspection, without their blessing, no one can get track insurance.)

when I've gone off there it wasnt by much. similar to T4 at moroso. dropping 2 or 4 wheels.

biggest problem was cars hooking cross track when they reentered.

now that inside wall.... had a student spin there, early turn in, too hot, tried to correct, looped it... thank God the wall was not out that day!

if you have video, pls post. thanks!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Bill,

I don't think it's that much (30-40 meters), I meant 10-15 meters (about 30-40 feet) but now that I think of it, it's gotta be 20-30 meters (about 60-90 feet) or so.

I'll check my in car video and see how much it is at the exit of the turn.

Guys (Dan, Terry...), how much would you say the wall is outside of the turn?

I have to ask if Terry can digitize a clip for me (I have "old school camcorder...) where I put two wheels off, I have some other I've been sending to him for couple of months but somehow haven't gotten around it yet.

Terry,

If I send you VHS and point you the places where to digitize (not collection type of thing, just lap or two from Homestead and maybe one from Sebring, and the "off"), you have time to do it?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:24 PM
agio
Racer

Certainly count me in for an email campaign.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:41 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I have to ask if Terry can digitize a clip for me (I have "old school camcorder...) where I put two wheels off, I have some other I've been sending to him for couple of months but somehow haven't gotten around it yet.
drop it in the mail, I'm sure I'll find some time to knock it out!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4 Guy
drop it in the mail, I'm sure I'll find some time to knock it out!
I'll fax some moonshine also, that shuld speed up the process, correct?!

TIA a lot Terry, I need to come up with something else than faxed moonshine.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:25 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As always a few great ideas from you guys:

Mikes idea of an email campaign sounds really good. I will try to get Tres' (the Sebring guy) email address

Finn I really like the idea of paving the area instead of grass. It would be a one time fix and should solve the problem. Put some FIA curbing there that you really don't want to hit on purpose but it you go over you can still control the car.

It would be nice to get something done by the 48 hrs

Quick Reply: Sebring.........the wall