Sponsored by:

Sebring.........the wall

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone remember when turn 16 was an incredibly fast 4th gear sweeper onto a 8 car wide back straight? Who remembers the triangular patch of grass in the middle of that turn? Boy, they really have de-fanged Sebring.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:10 AM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Mike it's tough to admit mistakes, but I was hoping it was going to be good for the "Masses".
Now a fence! Guess you guys might know where to make a move on me next year
Let me know if I can be of further help on this.
Bill
Old 09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fresh from Sebring last weekend.

I went little wide at turn 16 once. Only two wheels so it was not a problem. I just came in too fast, turned in maybe little too early and didn't want to slow down, couldn't make it and had to use little bit of grass.

That wall is not as close as I originally though ift would be and to be honest I didn't find it intimidating or scary (this is from DE prepective).
For me, Bishop Bend and turn 1 are those where I hold breath through the turn...

And Dan,

Yes, I did go to pits to check if I had rattsnake pieces in my suspension (did not).
Old 09-26-2005, 04:34 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I went little wide at turn 16 once.
once?!?! Liar!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The Flying Finn ...
For me, Bishop Bend and turn 1 are those where I hold breath through the turn...
Which turn is Bishop Bend? I've only done Sebring last Feb for the club race and don't remember all the nicknames.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Fresh from Sebring last weekend.

I went little wide at turn 16 once. Only two wheels so it was not a problem.

Which two, Finn?

The rears?

Old 09-26-2005, 04:58 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Which two, Finn?

The rears?
So you've driven behind him too, eh?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:00 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
Which turn is Bishop Bend?
Go back to page one of this thread, and have a look at turn 14. ...not really a turn per-se, but a lot of fun for sure!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

... and have a look at turn 14 ...
I remember that one. It was quite, uh, interesting. It was quite fun as long as you were paying attention.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4 Guy
once?!?! Liar!
Absolutely not! That other one was 15!
And there I just went straight over the kerbs where ther is asphalt runoff area so only few rubber pieces in my tyres were the result.

And a black flag (since I didn't go to pits , doh!).
Old 09-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Which two, Finn?

The rears?

I was little "off" this time so it was two wheels on same side of the car!

On a serious note, I though I was at Sebring last year but when I checked, my last time at Sebring was two years ago!

It's such an awesome track that I can't understand what I've been thinking since I haven't been there more often! OO, reason really is busy business schedule but still!
It took little while to get "the rhythm" and I didn't felt perfectly comfortable for the whole time, I definitely need more time there, I was kinda pissed since I was not as smooth in many places as I wanted to be, mostly at braking/turn-in.

My lap time was still pretty good since it was almost 2 seconds faster than last time (my best was 2:32.73), although I think most of that improvement goes to better balance due to better tyres.
Even these are little shot at this point but last time my rears were way too slippery, yes, even for my liking.

Overall great day and big thanks to Terry, Dan & Co. for the schedule changes etc., we had TON of track time!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:00 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Very nice shots Bob

Would an e-mail campaign help, Dan?

I know a number of drivers that regularly attend the Feb club race are on this board...
I'm in on the campaign although I'm not sure I will do this race again after what happened last year

On a side note...what's so scary about 14? I was flat out on 5th through there... MY biggest trouble was 17...I did not have confidence in that turn, my car was all over the place and I'm sure I lost a bunch of time each lap, since I could easily pull ahead from "my competition" the rest of the lap only to be caught at 17...
Old 09-27-2005, 12:57 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
On a side note...what's so scary about 14? I was flat out on 5th through there... .
Bishops is scary for me because it's tough to gauge exactly how much adhesion the car has, and there's no runoff (walls on both sides) and consequently little room for error. I carry about 110mph through there in my M3 and I know the car can go faster, but I'm not interested in pushing it - to what end?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:18 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Bishops is scary for me because it's tough to gauge exactly how much adhesion the car has, and there's no runoff (walls on both sides) and consequently little room for error. I carry about 110mph through there in my M3 and I know the car can go faster, but I'm not interested in pushing it - to what end?
I guess I never thought of it this way since it looked that my car was handling the bend very easily and I was literally flat on the floor accelerating all the way on 5th. My only "concern" was that after the bend I had to brake like there is no tomorrow since the right hander following was approaching at that speed very fast , it was off camber, sliperry as hell etc... I got a couple of times squarely trying to shave off enough speed and take the corner without an off...
Old 09-27-2005, 08:37 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
I guess I never thought of it this way since it looked that my car was handling the bend very easily and I was literally flat on the floor accelerating all the way on 5th. My only "concern" was that after the bend I had to brake like there is no tomorrow since the right hander following was approaching at that speed very fast , it was off camber, sliperry as hell etc... I got a couple of times squarely trying to shave off enough speed and take the corner without an off...
Yea, that's the problem. 14 is easy, flat out. It is slowing for 15 that's the trick. As far as 17, I love it.

Quick Reply: Sebring.........the wall