Hans Devices and DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Geo,

I don't think the stick pointed at your spine with a back brace is any worse than the stick of the steering wheel pointed at your chest. In fact we are probably more likely to get hit by that than the back brace. Distribution of load is the key so if the PCA etc say 30 square inches 12 square inces of plate on the back brace pole or whatever there should be enough distribution. You can always have more square inches. Also, if a properly designed cage with seat bolted to cage and cage features like seat rails that go from the base up to the harness bar the seat can deform less under your conditions regardless if it is plastic or metal as it is supported along its entire length from seat leading edge to shoulders. Is your beef with back braces not really the concept of seat back bracing but really with the way back braces are made/installed today for non-pro racers as an "add on" device with zero testing?
1) I can't do anything about the steering column.

2) My beef with back breakers is that they are pointed at my spine. And the fact that IMHO a seat that is not rigidly mounted will transfer less energy to the driver in a crash.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the bottom line is that you have to take safety seriously, non-pca clubs are not as safe in my opinion, one group had the honor system for tech, there were a lot of dishnorable guys that day.
If a hans makes you feel safer get it. Years ago when I was class racing they had a rule about driveshaft safety loops. Well, I snapped a driveshaft at 137mph, that shaft would have decappitated me if not for that steel hoop as it easily ripped through the aluminum floor panels.
Safety first, I think I'll put the DAS bar in mine.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
I think the bottom line is that you have to take safety seriously, non-pca clubs are not as safe in my opinion...
That's a pretty parochial statement.

Better than some perhaps, but not all.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:50 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Agree that a cage is only safe with a helmet, but I thought a roll bar (like the DAS bar) was fine when driving on the street without a helmet. What am I missing?
The problem is that in a rear hit, you would be utterly horrified how far back the seat will likely bend, how far up the seat back your body will travel, and how ultimately close your head will end up being to that roll hoop. It really CAN be that dangerous.

Of course it is a matter of degrees. If you are short and a long way from the hoop, if your seat is very stout in makeup and mount, and you don't get hit that hard, you might be fine. If any one of these go against you, you might get more than your bell rung!

It is NOT a universal problem, but it is DEFINITELY something you must take into account when making your decisions.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default What certifications?

For Larry and other instructors who may spend as much time in other people's cars as their own at a DE, I can see that the HANS (Hubbard/Downing) is not attractive--it can only be in a properly prepared car. (There is a FIA spec sheet in Acrobat format HERE.) For my car, though, I can set up the HANS correctly, and I won't be riding in other people's cars for some years.

I note that only the HANS is FIA approved. It's also SFI 38.1 certified. The SFI web site seems to be down now, but it should come back up HERE .

I guess the whole HANS setup is more expensive than a R3, but it has been in the market longer and I can set my car to use it properly. Thoughts on how to go?
Old 06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
John, My Kirkey seat has yet to be installed (I was trying to get the 944 ready for a DE tomorrow, but it will not be ready). I can probably return it for an Ultrashield. Which Ultrashield did you get, and do you have any advice on how I should mount it in my '84 944? Is the mounting hardware fabbed, or is there something else I should buy. TD
First off, the early 944 seat mounting is really a joke; 4 little 6mm bolts into tin platforms with floating nuts. Most of the floating mount pockets have long since failed from metal fatigue all on their own with only street driving. My floor had actually collapsed and the seats sagged sideways!

Mounting a seat is a real brain teaser.

First you need the positioning worked out. On top of my list is getting leg room worked out first. Then see if you can get the arm reach down right from there. This is where the Kirkey road race seats fail because of what I offered before.

Once that is worked out, syou need to allow for some re-adjustment in your mounting design because invariably what you think works sitting still in the shop will prove less than optimal in battle. You'll need to give yourself the chance to alter the setup with clever design.

Next, the mounting. I like alloy seats because they offer lots of options for mounting. I use a side mounting method like below. You can either do sliders or solid mount. I make side plates and bolt through the side panel for a very solid mount. You can also make your mount flanges large for multiple holes to fine tune your seat setup (see above).

I have landed on the concept of first attaching the two seat rails together (if using sliders) with a piece of 1.5x.125 angle iron welded to the sliders front and rear to form a square. It can sometimes be easier to use seperate tabs for mounting each corner because welding a bar across the two sliders front and back makes it a little trickier to keep the sliders parallel to eachother so they will slide easilly.

Then, I make pieces that these two cross members will sit on/in. Whether you need more headroom governs whether I set inside these mount rails or on top of them (as pictured). These mount rails are made of the same angle iron, and run across the floor from side sill to tunnel and weld on both sides and also various spots across the floor pan. 944s & 928s require you to section around the e-brake mechanism, which requiures more work.

Nuts are welded on the back of these beams corresponding to holes in the seat rail crossmembers. I use minimum 8mm fasteners, often prefering 10mm for serious track cars.

This all makes for a fairly simple and very stout mounting system that is not horrendously difficult to render.

Here is one I did in a 911 to give you an idea of what the floor rail look like. The seat rails then sit on top of this.

Does any of this make ANY sense?
Old 06-04-2005, 03:54 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Redlineman, What is the "proper" angle of the seatbase to the floor?
I would say a MINIMUM of 10 degrees. Then, you can fiddle with how much thigh support you like. Some people like the seat snug under their thighs while other like some room there. If you recall, in previous safety threads I've mentioned seat base declination as an important part of any safety system in regards to hold the driver in -vs- what crash bio mechanics try to do, which is submarine you.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:59 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess the whole HANS setup is more expensive than a R3, but it has been in the market longer and I can set my car to use it properly. Thoughts on how to go?
I went with the HANS for the same reason, but I have come around to the point that I regard the Isaac as the best for versatile and simplified usage in recreational applications in a single car. For varied car usage, I think Larry made a good decision.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, what are your thoughts on the lack of certification of any form with any of the isaac units.
Thanks
Jeeva
Old 06-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The Isaac web site does not describe mounting the unit to the car/seat, so far as I can see. Does the non-helmet end just attach to shoulder belts?
Old 06-04-2005, 04:24 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
That's a pretty parochial statement.

Better than some perhaps, but not all.
Parochial, maybe, but from the many non pca de's I've done that's the conclusion I find. You tend to see gigantic run groups; rag tag cars that I doubt were really 'teched'; same day run group promotions( noivice to intermed solo for ex); honor system teching; multiple off track excursions.....
I don't think they are all bad, pda runs a good one , but I think I'll stick with the pca events, jmo.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Parochial, maybe, but from the many non pca de's I've done that's the conclusion I find.
Gotcha. For some reason I didn't connect that you were talking about DE. I was thinking racing. Sorry.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The Isaac web site does not describe mounting the unit to the car/seat, so far as I can see. Does the non-helmet end just attach to shoulder belts?
The non helmet end merely rides on the belts on a roller/pin arrangement.
It is NOT firmly attached to the belts....this was discussed a year or so ago in a very long thread....I'll try and find it.
Here are a few pics:
http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Pr...m/RearView.JPG
http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Pr...em/IsoView.JPG
Old 06-04-2005, 05:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by adrial
Anybody have any pictures of the Isaac Link (their new, cheap device)?
Here is one:
http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Pr...k/SideView.jpg
Old 06-04-2005, 05:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I note that only the HANS is FIA approved.
FIA approval, along with SFI 38.1 approval would affect the design/operation/efficiency in what manner?
To me, these approvals/certifications mean absolutely nothing, especially given the history of the HANS and the FIA.

Quick Reply: Hans Devices and DE