Sponsored by:

Ball hitch in front?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 02:42 PM
4master
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball hitch in front?

I have a very narrow opening in which to back my 24' enclosed Pace trailer (about 3" on either side) and it is not possible to widen the opening any further. Usually, my father or wife spots me as I back up using radios since I can't really see thier hand signals. As I was backing in Saturday, my neighbor suggested having a hitch mounted on the front of my truck and push the trailer in my spot by driving forward. He said that it is often done at boat ramps and such.
I have personally never seen this done but it sounds as if it would be a good idea. I have a Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel so mounting a ball hitch on the front would not be too difficult. Does anyone have any experience with something like this, firsthand or otherwise?
Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Cheers - Scott

Scott Foremaster/1985.5 I class 944/#909/"goes like a herd of mice"
Old 01-24-2005, 03:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have seen it used, at a local trailer company (helps moving trailers around). In your situation, I would think you would still need spotters/radios, but it would seem to make your task a lot easier.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:27 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

You may want to get a trailer mover (not sure of what they are called). They use them allot at the airport. They are like a hand truck for a trailer and that would allow you to move the trailer easily. I am going to get one as I have a similar problem but with a little more room on the sides (about a foot on each side). If I can dig up some info I will post it
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM
WilsonAnderson
Advanced

Scott,

You can absolutely mount a reciever on front of your truck. I have seen them flush mounted inthe bumper openings and mounted below the bumper from the frame rails. Works perfect for intended use.

Check out U-Haul and or Warn Winches accessories. You will find what you are looking for.

There are all sorts of attachments that can be used withthe recievers.

Take care,
Wilson
Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch236
You may want to get a trailer mover (not sure of what they are called). If I can dig up some info I will post it
http://www.powercaster.com/products.html
http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html
http://www.lindbergh.com/Djproducts/...ilermover.html
http://www.powerwheel-usa.com/

(I had these bookmarked, as I was considering one a while back)
Old 01-25-2005, 01:00 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Just search front hitch reciever. I have one on my 2500 suburban. I used to nose in my trailer but later got good and lazy so I just back it in. Now I use the front hitch to carry bikes etc. or stand on when doing engine work. The hitch was cheap and bolts right on. The other cool thing is you can put a plow on it and plow your driveway!
Old 01-25-2005, 02:42 AM
4master
Advanced

Thanks for the response. Mitch236 and ltc, I had looked at trailer movers early last year and like the idea, but if I remember correctly, the cheapest one that could be used on my trailer was about $1100.00. I still have some of the literature. The one I liked best was from a company in England.

I would still need a spotter if I was using a front hitch but it might go just a bit quicker, especially if it's late at night after a long drive home. Plus if I ever needed someone else to do it for some reason, I would feel better if they "drove" the trailer in rather than "backing down".

Thanks again for the comments.

Scott Foremaster/1985.5 I class 944/#909/"goes like a herd of mice"
Old 01-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Front hitch is the best way to move your trailer !
Old 01-25-2005, 11:41 AM
John Brown
Instructor

I have extensive experience moving trailers (boats) around using a front hitch and can vouch for the greater ease and precision which it affords. Even with the vision limitations it will be much easier to manuever the trailer. In your situation the front hitch would be my solution.

I learned to drive at about age 13 in an old Willeys Jeep at a resort on the Lake of the Ozarks (south-central MO). Had a hitch on the front and a hitch on the back - actually one of each size on each end. The preference was using the front hitch; sometimes we used them both. Rarely used the rear hitch alone. Amazing what you can move with enough gears!

Quick Reply: Ball hitch in front?