Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to drill rollbar for seat brace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to drill rollbar for seat brace?

I have a DAS Sport rollbar. I need to drill the holes in it to mount my Brey Kraus seat back brace. How do I do this? What special tools do I need? Should I drill it in the car or out of the car?
Old 12-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

You should not be drilling thru ANY rollbar structure, as you will compromise the strength of the member. If you must drill it, drill it oversized and then weld a sleeve in that can carry the fasteners.
The word "weld" should be in any solution, unless you have a 'clamp-around' seat brace.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:28 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure Brey Krause dont have a mounting braket to go with that seat back brace?
Can;t imagine any vendor sellign a brace that requires drilling the roll bar.

In fact [went and checked BK specs] they offer a weld on AND a bolt on bracket:

Old 12-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking No holes for me....no Siree

I ordered a seat back brace from http://www.mindovermotorsports.com

It does not require any drilling, just an Allen wrench!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys;

The second picture that Tony displayed is a unit that requires drilling through the belt bar. This is the style that my current client project car has installed, and is likely ubiquitous as far as B-K kit is concerned.

I cannot in the strictest sense, or in good conscience, argue against what the good Professor said. Where possibility exists, default to at least the 90th percentile.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey Guys;

The second picture that Tony displayed is a unit that requires drilling through the belt bar. This is the style that my current client project car has installed, and is likely ubiquitous as far as B-K kit is concerned.

I cannot in the strictest sense, or in good conscience, argue against what the good Professor said. Where possibility exists, default to at least the 90th percentile.
Second pic is the one I have. Not good?

If good, how to drill?
Old 12-31-2004, 12:10 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

The welded bracket is stronger, and does not weaken the existing roll bar structure.

I guess the bolt on is acceptable, but it surprised me that BK go this way. The IO Port bolt on uses U bolts to secure the bracket to the cross bar of you cage/roll bar.

If you are drilling, then you can drill it in the car. Probably better in that you can confirm the angles before drilling. Clean up carefully with a vacuum cleaner after.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:49 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Charlie;

As the Good Professor related, drilling a structural tube is not necessarily a good idea, as it obviously weakens the tube to some extent. In this case (2) holes of approximately 3/8" in a 1.75" OD tube represent about 21.5% of the tube's section width; a fairly high percentage. Whether that is an actual or perceived issue is open to debate, but in most cases it is best to default to being safer than sorrier, eh?

I do not see why you could not go to a shop of your choice, do your positioning, and have that sucker welded to the belt bar? TIG will allow it to be done in the car with no real concern about sparking the interior. In fact, I think I will do that to the car I am presently working on, now that you've brought this all up!

Quick Reply: How to drill rollbar for seat brace?