Sponsored by:

ColorChange summation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004 | 02:55 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I don't know the first thing about the data-loggers and the g-sum and how appropriate it is. It certainly is what provoked all this discourse. From my observations many of these devices were being used at VIR this past weekend. Most interesting to me was seeing curves (laps) from two different drivers in the same car superimposed on the graph with a four second difference between the two. It was easy to see where the time delta was incurred. Along with that was g data. A few of the Cup Car drivers were using these devices as well. I did have any spare time (running from one place to another - hair on fire) to really understand the system. The driver explained that GPS data was used for position. Do they have accelerometers on board for the G data? It looked to me that the system was recording every conceivable input. Just understanding and interpretting the results could be good for hours of entertainment. I think it would be really interesting for a beginner to have such a system to bench mark their performance.
Old 09-13-2004 | 03:25 PM
mamoroso
Racer

I am a newbie here but I am with Chris Cervelli on the CC subject. I disagree with Jack on this one...
I don't care for what CC says... he openly stated he's a newbie as well.

What matters is that he generated a debate where people espressed their opinions.
There is a lot to learn from in these posts (not necessarily from Color, but from all the others that partecipated in the threads). Just because some posts might be misleading u don't need to discard the whole thread.

I noticed some people have this "protective" attitude towards the so called "newbies"... Come on... we are all grown ups. I'd rather get as much info as I can about a subject... It will be down to me to distill what is good from what is bad. Don't need any kind of censure.

Then again what's the point of this particular thread? ZERO infos abt how to drive a car faster.... but it's 4 pages long.... Guess what... I am not going to wast my time reading it any longer... but I am looking fwd to the next controversial subject which is going to shake the way people think and is going to generate a useful debate.
Old 09-13-2004 | 05:01 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn right, i'm not going to waste my time reading this either..... am I.... huh... am I
Old 09-14-2004 | 09:52 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I always read any thread started by CC. I think his tenure here has created the most informative and stimulating discourse. You may not agree with his theories. You may dislike his tone. He has provoked us to think about many aspects of driving and some great discussions have ensued.
Old 09-14-2004 | 10:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There's nothing wrong with stimulating discourse and respectful disagreement. It's when one party reverts to childish name calling that turns people off. On-line respect should be the same as if you were in front of that person. I would love to see someone call me ignorant and low character to my face...you want to see fireworks? I have also learned (in my many years) that if person A says one thing, and person B says another, and they are both fast then neither is "wrong" and there is something else going on. And that is certainly worth investigating.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-14-2004 | 12:32 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I feel compelled to state my opinion on this, as a newbie i found most of the info on those lengthy threads utterly useless and at times as childish bickerings. Also, I want to make it clear that I am NOT saying such thraeds should not be a part of this fabulous forum. Those who don't like it, just doesn't have to read it.
I found them useless not because I could not undrstand DAS and I obviously think it is important in racing (dhuh!), i just found the arguments non-constructive. C'mon a whole long thread on driver influence on a car, where it is clear both sides are saying the SAME OBVIOUS THINGS, yet the arguments go on forever. One is saying that the pot is hot and the other is saying that there is an inbalance in the thermal equilibrium and the pot is loosing thermal energy to it's immediate environment, and keeps arguing which is right, even though both mean the same. Who gives a damn who is right as long as we know the pot is hot enough to make my cup of coffee .
IMHO, A person with a Ph.D in DAS can still be a miserable driver, And another who doesn't give a hoot about DAS can still be a champion driver.
Old 09-14-2004 | 11:30 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
...I would love to see someone call me ignorant and low character to my face...you want to see fireworks?...
Amen brother. Its amazing how email, forums, etc, give people artificial courage allowing them to say thing to another person they would NEVER say to their face. I'm amazed at what people have said to me on an email over the years at work - things that would cause me to knock them in the mouth if they said it to my face.
Old 09-15-2004 | 03:14 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

jeeva... BINGO... some people just like to argue....don't they.... huh? Or do they?... well... which is it huh?.... Do they or don't they???

.....ooops... I wasn't supposed to read this anymore....busted!!!!
Old 09-15-2004 | 03:58 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Geo:
Please back up your claim that my writings are “fertilizer” by finding ANYTHING significant I have said that is wrong! You won’t because you cannot. You will continue your low character unsupported attacks and comments, just like I expect from someone like you.

Smokey:
Please, I have never said I am a gifted driver, in fact I have specifically said the opposite, so consider me awake: I will never be Jackie Stewart or near any other skilled pro racer.

Alan:
Good post. Some units have GPS line mapping capability in concert with g’s (yes accelerometer for lateral for sure, some calculate long g) and other data. This is ideal and what I intend to do when it is available from Aim.

Thank Matteo and Mitch.

Larry, of course I would and will call you low character to your face as I have proven your actions to warrant it and I do have the courage of my convictions and truth on my side. Should you choose to break the law, further cementing your LC position, you would likely find yourself in jail.
Old 09-15-2004 | 04:17 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Larry, of course I would and will call you low character to your face as I have proven your actions to warrant it and I do have the courage of my convictions and truth on my side. Should you choose to break the law, further cementing your LC position, you would likely find yourself in jail.[/QUOTE]

Hey Larry,

Can we write off a trip to Putnam to the LC FD expense account? It sounds like fun! I want to see this!
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Geo:
Please back up your claim that my writings are ?fertilizer? by finding ANYTHING significant I have said that is wrong! You won?t because you cannot. You will continue your low character unsupported attacks and comments, just like I expect from someone like you.
I don't mind. Considering the company I would keep in that club, I feel honored.
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Oooh CC, you've got me shaking in my boots! You know, if you re-read all of my posts, I was never disrespectful to you. The worst I ever did was to disagree with you, and emphatically state that you "didn't know how wrong you were" concerning A SPECIFIC TOPIC. No personal insults, no slams, nothing, ever. Such is my low character.

Well I am going to give you reason now! You are the most disrespectful, immature, ignorant, ill-mannered person I have ever encountered. Did I forget mis-informed? And I offer as proof (which you seem to cherish above all else, including accuracy) the many posts where you have wrongly criticized and insulted many good people on this list.

You desperately seek validation from people on this list who really know, and when they don't agree with your half-cocked theories (and that's all they really are is theories because you don't have the talent or ablilty to prove them on the track) you blast them with your childish nonsense. Why don't you go back under the rock that you crawled out from under? This list was a lot nicer the week you were gone. And the apology that you will be seeking from me...BITE ME!
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Larry,

Better bring GEO into LC FD. Soon LC FDC will have more members than HWFMR!
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:09 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Larry,

LOL!
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:50 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Larry,

Thanks! I'm honored.

We need a logo.

Quick Reply: ColorChange summation