Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Run groups

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I too like the open passing events I've been to.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:49 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I guess I stand corrected. Since I have never done either racing or open passing I was assuming that they would be similar, sort of like warm-up for racing. We have a couple of organizations down here that allow open passing and I pronise to try one. Until then, I will not opine about open passing.

I still would not like to see run groups segregated by lap time.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally Posted by mitch236
I still would not like to see run groups segregated by lap time.
Mitch, you might find that its not a necessity where you have the open passing w/ a point-by. One of the niceties is that it allows the competent driver/competent car to take the pass when they feel they can w/ ease - that may very well be in the middle of a turn provided the passee is that much slower. In my street car, I had our chief instructor come up behind me in a Daiso-ish thing at VIR full. I just gave him a point in Left Hook and held my same line and took a little bit off of what I was doing - I simly didn't worry where he'd pass me or when, just kept an eye out of the windshield for the roll hoop to know he was around me then went back to using the full track.

I have done open passing w/ NASA with my street car (Acura CL-S) on kumho street tires as well as in my 944 w/ roll hoop as well as my race car - I felt no more or less safe for my "car" in any case. In some ways, I too think there is a bigger safety margin by not trying to cram all the passing on the straights (I do like the idea of keeping passing to the straights in Beginner and Intermediate groups however).
Old 08-06-2004, 11:08 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm another supporter of open passing DE events - in the more experienced run groups.
I was PCA Black group, and a freshly minted instructor, when I did my first TrackQuest with Todd Serota. Will admit that the open passing experience was a little daunting at first. After a couple of sessions it was second nature. There are three factors that make it safe:

- Experienced drivers who behave predictably.
- The point still applies. No unexpected divebombing.
- Passee owns the line. Passer finds an alternate way around.

After the strict regimen of PCA DE, it takes a little while to get comfortable sharing a corner with another car. The fact that it is DE makes this a controlled and predictable experience.

Remember Kelly's maxim: DE is to racing as paintball is to armed combat.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:03 PM
prg
Pro

Alright, I'm convinced that with the point by, its probably reasonably safe with an appropriately experienced group who drive like DE'rs not racers. One or two walking sphincters could really wreck your day in this scenario though.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Remember Kelly's maxim: DE is to racing as paintball is to armed combat.
Unfortunatly, not everyone at DEs support your maxim, true as it may be. Which is why I like the waive by rule. Although, I drive in the B group (I think that translates to white) and have only done about 15 DEs so I may not be running with the good drivers yet.

Quick Reply: DE Run groups