Open VS Enclosed trailer and safety on the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:36 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Open VS Enclosed trailer and safety on the road

So yes I'm exploring my options to purchase a truck and a trailer. While I have read all about enclosed trailer benefits etc, there are 3 things that i consider:

1. Space. I would need to have a storage place so to speak to store the enclosed trailer where with an open trailer I can back it in the garage and not have to pay monthly fees.

2. Truck size. By going on a light open trailer I can buy a smaller ( read cheaper) truck.

3. The thing that worries me most. Safety. Not so much road safety but all night parking in a motel with a truck full of things, tools and tires and an open trailer with a Porsche 911 car on...

I'm I too paranoid to worry about Number 3?
Do I miss anything on the big picture so to speak on making my decision?
How do you guys in general deal with my number 3 concern?

TIA
Old 06-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Consider your future needs in motorsports. Most people buy a open trailer that works great for the DE needs then move up to a enclosed trailer and proper tow vehicle when they start racing. Much cheaper to get the right rig first time out.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Trailex enclosed, 2" shorter than stock fits in std garage and You can pull it with a small vehicle. One for sale in the most recent Pano or maybe Rennlist classifieds cant remember.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:54 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using an open trailer for about a year and have had no problems (knock wood) with security and parking overnight but then again I am staying at motels with many other Porsches in the lot (Sebring mostly). I am selling the open trailer to get an enclosed trailer which is much more convenient. I have a place to store it and that is important. I also have a deisel Excursion so no problem towing. If you can do it, enclosed trailering is the way to go.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:14 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Danny,

I'm towing with an open trailer and have stayed overnight in motels with the truck+trailer setup. The biggest hassle for me is having to cram a set of tires into the truck cab area so they are not exposed in the bed of the truck. If I were carrying two sets of wheels (which I imagine you will be) I'm not sure if you could fit all of this with tools, air tanks, etc.

Like Glen mentions, some of the aluminum trailers are very light. Around 3000# if memory serves me correctly. You could maybe tow that with a strong 1/2 ton or gas 3/4 ton.

Have fun shopping.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm squeaking by with an open trailer because 99% of my planned trips are going to be one-day tows, where I can park the trailer/car at the paddock. My trailer allows locking the wheels to the trailer, and if I start having to motel overnight en route, I'm going to pop for a locking truck bed cover to protect the tools/spares.

Given the higher dollar value (and attention getting nature!) of your car & equipment, I don't think you're paranoid re: point number 3. If anything, I think you should not even begin to consider anything but an enclosed trailer.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny,

FWIW, I've been using an open trailer. While I have some concerns along the lines of your #3, like Mitch, mine tends to get parked at a motel with many other (more expensive) Porsches for one night and then stays at the track for the other nights. I don't think mine will fit in my garage (and leave me any romom to move round). While it's only a 16' trailer, the front adds 3'+.

I also chose an open because of weight. I did not want to buy a different tow vehicle and needed something the ML430 could pull. So far, all is working fine. While I normally agree to the philosophy of "do it right the first time," spending $4k on the open trailer and other bits was waaay less money than an enclosed trailer and a new truck to pull it.

Given that you don't have a commutel ike the rest of us and are prone to long distance travel for races, I'd probably go down the path Kim suggests and go with an enclosed trailer.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:54 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guys for the advise. It is true most of my hauls will be a 2 day trip to California especially in the winter ( January, February) where the tracks up north are not going to be available. So yes it does make good sense I guess to shoot for a 20 footer enclosed. If its light enough I may be able to get by with an F-150 or a Nissan Titan.
Ahhh.. the slippery slope
Old 06-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Danny

The enclosed is incredibly convenient. It's a rolling garage for your car, you don't have to load and unload everything every weekend, and everybody is yor friend at the track when it starts raining.

However they are heavy, kill fuel mileage, are tougher to maneuver, you have to find a place to keep it between weekends (my wife says we look like the Clampetts with that things parked by the garage), and you got a lot of weight riding on your butt when you're going down the highway.

Still, I'd do it again, but opt for more creature comforts than what I have right now.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:30 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go w/the open and sponge off your friends w/enclosed....just find a guy like Mike and put all your valuables in his rig. Al long as Mike's racing, I'm staying w/the open!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:00 PM
nman413
Drifting

And sometimes you just park the trailer once

Sorry, couldnt resist Kim :P
Old 06-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Kim
"I was wondering why Mike was selling me some parts REALLY cheaply.... "

I don't have to sell those parts anymore. Now that Jeff and Eric are both racing waterpumpers, I always have the spare I need.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:58 PM
silver44
Instructor

Default which trailer

I have to say I agree with those who say buy enclosed. First you get protection from the elements, second you have great storage advantages, and third security (you don't have to worry about all of your expesive tools and such being exposed). I remember a car club that came to memphis a few years back for a weekend together. One guy had a nice camaro and trailer stolen right out of the parking lot and it was full of other cars. If they want it they are gonig to get it but I just think the enclosed offers a lot more advantages...and I am proponent of buying at least a 24 or 28 footer. You will fill it up eventually.

Don
Old 06-24-2004, 10:22 PM
kary993
Drifting

I say enclosed for all the reasons above. If you are staying with the sport buy once otherwise it will cost you alot more to buy twice or even three times. I love the enclosed protection and storage. I understand the need for a place to park it though, as paying for a parking spot can get expensive over time.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd eventually like an enclosed trailer for all of the reasons above, but I just bought an open trailer to fit in my garage. Maybe in 3-5 years I'll go with an enclosed trailer, and I might lost $1,000 on my open trailer, but that is cheaper than renting a u-haul or other trailer, and it'll be more convenient. If you buy a used open trailer, and pay a fair price, you should be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it. I decided not to buy the tow vehicle twice, though - so I bought one that can tow 10,200 pounds. Overkill for now, but it should be just right when I uprade to the box.

Quick Reply: Open VS Enclosed trailer and safety on the road