Sponsored by:

Open VS Enclosed trailer and safety on the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, too bad - I'd've thought it'd make a lot of sense to fly into Houston where the car is, and start back with the truck/trailer.

You know I'm ALWAYS there for you when you need help spending the extra cash.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:07 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a old open trailer for my towing.

I used to tow my car behind my 98 Jeep cherokee, but that only worked OK around town. I wanted to take longer trips and out of state tows so I decided to add a bigger truck.

I got a used 99 Dodge 2500 V10 2wd. It has worked like charm. Due to security reasons I added this contractor grade shell. It has a storage big on the driver's side and huge door over the passenger's side. Also are rear doors. I can stick all my parts and gear inside the truck bed completly secured. Tire are left open and I use a bike cable to lock them down.

Tow at an average of 70-75mph I get 9-10mpg and the tow is very low stress. Rear visiblity is poor with the shell, but I really can't see past the tires anyway.

If I want an enclosed trailer I can upgrade to one and the truck will beable to take the extra load.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:51 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an enclosed and switched to an open. Enclosed was Shadowmaster 26' (3600lbs, 7000 GVW). Open is a 16' Big Tex wood deck (1600 lbs, 7000 GVW). Tow vehicle is a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 ltr. (7500 tow capacity). Car is 2550lb '83SC.

The pros and cons:

Mileage: Enclosed: 6-7. Open: 11-12

Braking: Barely notice the open is there. The enclosed required much greater room between vehicle in front of me.

Size: your overall rig is small with an open. You need space inside an enclosed to crawl around and lash the car down. I think the bare minimum is 18' but 20' is probably the smallest you want if you want to be comfortable inside it.

Speed: Open is capable of 80+ mph if I want to. Enclosed was practically full throttle and I was only going 60-65 (see mileage above)

Security: I have a lockable tonneau cover so all my spare parts go back there. No trailer provides better trailer-theft security than the other. I would consider someone stealing the car itself to be tough...and it's basically like stealing a car out of a parking lot...but harder.

Space: Enclosed had much more space but you need more than 7000 lb capacity or you will come close to maxing the trailer. With my '83SC, a set of wheels, an awning, 150lbs worth of tools, there wasn't room for cabinets, etc without being right at the limit. I didn't want to tow a trailer that was at the limit. Admittedly a 20' would have provided more leeway for "stuff".

Weather: For personal weather protection and car protection enclosed is obviously the right choice. For ease of towing in windy or inclement weather the open is by far the better choice. Buying an inexpensive but durable EZup pop-up tent thingy will set you back a couple of hundred $$ but remember how much more you would have spent on the enclosed.

Price: Open was $2000 used (1 yr old). Enclosed was $4500 (3 yrs old). With open I needed to spend $600 on tonneau and $300 on EZupIf you have a great tow vehicle then enclosed is fine. I have a 2002 Dodge 1500 4.7 and although it could pull it fine it was hard to stop and I got 6-7 mpg.

Other: I am space limited with my set up. With an Ez up (which I often leave home), spare wheels, 2 Rubbermaids of parts and supplies, trailer ramp extensions, chairs, tools, gas can, etc it's about at capacity. I have a quad cab so I have some overflow there. I also do not have a rolling changing room or place to sleep in a pinch. I can also appreciate the earlier comment about packing and unpacking.

I agree that one should buy right the first time if you can afford it. In my book the two options are either an open or a fifth wheel/gooseneck enclosed being pulled by a 3500 or better truck. If you can really afford it then yes the aluminum enclosed is a good option. With a light race car it can be pulled by some of the bigger SUV's on the market.

I also like to get where I am going. Some of my tows are 7+ hrs. If I can safely travel 10 mph faster and stop for gas less often I will get there 60+ minutes sooner.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great write-up. Sounds like you either needed to get a bigger truck, or a smaller trailer. Did you take the downsizing route on a purely economic basis, or were there other factors at play? (The issues like mileage and braking would have been helped by the larger truck)
Old 06-28-2004, 11:09 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Economics. I didn't have the extra $10k to put into my car project (bought my car for that much)..... it was either $10k for an aluminum enclosed or that same amount to upgrade to a diesel dualie. Also owning a truck like that is not something I would enjoy because right now it's my daily driver. So for me, the enclosed is not really an option until the truck is a fourth vehicle and I can do it the way I ultimately want to...dualie plus nice enclosed trailer with the bells and whistles. However then it's almost worth it for me to put the car at a race shop year round and have them transport it to and fro. The depreciation on the truck and trailer would pay for several transports a year with my local race team. Oh but then I am only a step away from doing a full arrive and drive program like Racer's Group. Maybe I should just jump right to that I'll go talk to the wife....
Old 06-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a solid analysis. Hey, you're not an accountant, are you?
Old 06-29-2004, 01:43 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

He does make some good points ha? Thanks Chris for the other perspective on things...

BTW Ford is coming up with an all new F Super Duty series as an 05 model so hopefully there are going to be some really good deals this September on 04's!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:29 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

7 hour tow!?! I guess I am spoiled, because I complain about the 2.5 hours it takes to get to Sebring (the farthest track I run at)! If I had to go 7 hours, I would think seriously about arrive (jet) and drive!

That brings up a valid point about towing. It probably makes more sense to get an easier towing rig if your drives are longer. But then, the farther you go from home, the more stuff you need to bring.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

True - my home track is only about an hour away (and I use a flyweight open trailer & a Ranger). Just thought of another data point: when you race Spec Racer Ford, a CSR (SRF dealer, basically) shows up for every race with a trailerful of spares & advice. It's like paying local Porsche dealer prices for parts instead of SunCoast/MindoverMotorsports prices, but you don't have to buy the bigger truck/trailer to haul all your own spares, you don't have to worry about your trailer getting broken into & emptied out by thieves, etc ...
Old 06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Accountant!!!!!! Bite your tongue

I am a geologist by schooling and a Product/Brand Manager by profession. So, I often think of all the pros and cons (always with a financial twist) before I do something.

My move to Rhode Island made the hauls that much longer. Lime Rock used to be 1:15..now it's 3:30. Pocono used to be 3:00...now it's 5:30. The Glen is now 7:00. Hoping to fix all of this with a move back to CT soon.

Quick Reply: Open VS Enclosed trailer and safety on the road