Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Heard from Frank Pray..

They are still sorting things out..
Old 06-25-2024, 10:53 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

I was excited to finally get to race at Watkins Glen after only having a co drive in the enduro in an H car back in 2010. The OG SPB ran flawlessly. Only hiccups were having to double back to Harrisburg on the ride up to pick my son up after the alternator in his 944 decided to expire on his way up which led to us not getting there until Thursday night at 10;45pm so I didin't get to check in, and get the car unloaded until after the drivers meeting on Friday morning. Missed Practice 1, so didn't get on track until practice two and we discovered the transponder was dead after my son pointed out that I wasn't even on the time sheet. Went to the tower and got a loaner from PCA, and ended up missing qualifying so started at the back for both Sprint 1 and Sprint 2. Discovered I need seat time and more seat time in the the car. Had a much better grid position for Sprint 3 and had a really good start. Then attempted a pass I should not have going into Turn 11 on the first lap and had contact with another SPB that turned me sidways and had to go through the pits. Stopped at black flag to make sure the car was Ok to continue because the "bang" from the contact sounded bad, but surprisingly only left some orange paint and rubber marks on the drivers door so I re-entered the race. A lap down after the unplanned stop so Sprint 3 became another practice session. Got faster but still need seat time before NJMP. SPB racing is fun for sure and looking forward to the next one.
The following 5 users liked this post by Carrera51:
dan212 (06-25-2024), Jared Rodeheaver (06-25-2024), ProCoach (07-01-2024), Streak (06-30-2024), tgsmith4845 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 10:55 AM
Jared Rodeheaver
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Heard from Frank Pray..

They are still sorting things out..
Dan, did they give any idea on a target date for wrapping this up and having results published?
Old 06-26-2024, 11:50 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

No date promised - They have a working draft, but are still reviewing.
A LOT of hard work not just to sort out numbers but what is fair.

I was warned that we shouldn't expect final results soon though.

The following users liked this post:
Jared Rodeheaver (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 171 Posts

This is an almost impossible task - it would have been way easier for them too say "sorry, we can't really change the results." Some people may be happy; some people will surely be upset.

But let's all try and appreciate the effort and the spirit!! THANK YOU.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jas0nn:
993944S2 (06-26-2024), tgsmith4845 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 02:20 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
This is an almost impossible task - it would have been way easier for them too say "sorry, we can't really change the results." Some people may be happy; some people will surely be upset.

But let's all try and appreciate the effort and the spirit!! THANK YOU.
Jason is 100% correct. Mostly because I won my class and I'm not giving back my prize money.
wellcoached (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 02:24 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Jason is 100% correct. Mostly because I won my class and I'm not giving back my prize money.
Can't give back what you already spent!!

P.S. Gonna have to send SWAT to take back that trophy though ...
Old 06-30-2024, 09:36 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting, Race Monitor has two sets of Orange enduro results that are a lap or two apart, in light of reports that some were held in the pits too long after red flag.

Does this shed any light... pre- and post- red flag. What's the other app people use?

https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Race/144808

Old 06-30-2024, 09:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
Interesting, Race Monitor has two sets of Orange enduro results that are a lap or two apart, in light of reports that some were held in the pits too long after red flag.

Does this shed any light... pre- and post- red flag. What's the other app people use?

https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Race/144808
I would totally disregard the Racemonitor or RaceHero data at this point. Nobody was in the pits during the Red Flag and some cars are actually missing from these results altogether. The best place to look for results will be Mylaps once the final results are published.
Old 06-30-2024, 05:01 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Can they publish the sprint results? Need muh Toyo bucks!!!
Jared Rodeheaver (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 04:03 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I would totally disregard the Racemonitor or RaceHero data at this point. Nobody was in the pits during the Red Flag and some cars are actually missing from these results altogether. The best place to look for results will be Mylaps once the final results are published.
Frank, In the Orange enduro (is 65min really an enduro?) I came in the pits just prior to the full course yellow with an engine problem. There were cars there making their pit stops that exited then as well as after the full course yellow was shown. There was not a red flag at start/finish or the T1 flag station. There were others that had entered the pits just before they were closed and that after their 5 minutes, they tried to leave but were held at pit out. The first few of those were directed off the track, the rest were stopped at pit out. Cars definitly were held at pit out for multiple laps.
Old 07-06-2024, 03:19 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The letter with the results arrived. (It is similar to Race Monitor at the top, but I didn't read line for line to the back.) The comment "that's racing" doesn't substitute for the policy that cars have to wait until the pace car, which may be delayed, comes around again under yellow.* It's not what you would do at the start if you were a bit late and track is available, and it would seem just as safe to let cars out in open track and not into the back of a line. This is preferable to a line at pit out, as well. We have never been held under yellow. But it's rare and that's just me again, the PCA racing historian pining for the simpler days of Bridgehampton.

*Didn't impact me, no dog in the fight. If we just had 90-minute enduros at the Glen with its walls and length, and went home later, I think the impact would be lessened, pun intended.

In the cases posted on this board, it seems that racers (aka customers) are not universally represented. Racing rule changes should go out for comment. Or the committee(s) should have racer representatives, perhaps by race class or "Cup" (not just technical), and this can be the first policy they put out for comment! Communications could also go through that person and create better collegiality and hence, better racer understanding.

Last edited by esscape26; 07-06-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2024, 04:26 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

Racing rules changes do go out for comment!!!
There’s a very clear rules suggestion period for the racers, a review by PCA, a comment period annd if racers agree an adoption. Every racer is familiar with this process or at least they should be if they checked their emails. I am not sure why you would suggest otherwise.

if you feel a rule warrants a change you can submit it!

Originally Posted by esscape26
The letter with the results arrived. (It is similar to Race Monitor at the top, but I didn't read line for line to the back.) The comment "that's racing" doesn't substitute for the policy that cars have to wait until the pace car, which may be delayed, comes around again under yellow.* It's not what you would do at the start if you were a bit late and track is available, and it would seem just as safe to let cars out in open track and not into the back of a line. This is preferable to a line at pit out, as well. We have never been held under yellow. But it's rare and that's just me again, the PCA racing historian pining for the simpler days of Bridgehampton.

*Didn't impact me, no dog in the fight. If we just had 90-minute enduros at the Glen with its walls and length, and went home later, I think the impact would be lessened, pun intended.

In the cases posted on this board, it seems that racers (aka customers) are not universally represented. Racing rule changes should go out for comment. Or the committee(s) should have racer representatives, perhaps by race class or "Cup" (not just technical), and this can be the first policy they put out for comment! Communications could also go through that person and create better collegiality and hence, better racer understanding.

Last edited by Speeds5; 07-06-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2024, 04:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
There’s a very clear rules suggestion period for the racers, a review by PCA, a comment period annd if racers agree an adoption. Every racer is familiar with this process or at least they should be if they checked their emails. I am not sure why you would suggest otherwise.

Like the change to the 13/13 rule?

Raise your hand if you were consulted.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Jared Rodeheaver (07-06-2024), Matt Romanowski (07-06-2024), mlct (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 08:10 AM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5

Close but no cigar. The process is that yes, there is a suggestion period for racers to submit changes and new rules. PCA Club Racing then reviews all of those suggestions BUT they only distiribute for comment those that they feel are worth considering. They will include SOME that they won't consider and give reasons why. After the comment peried (not votes) they let us know which ones they will adopt for us.
Anecdotally, it seems that most of the suggested, adpoted or discarded suggestions that are emailed to us are class or car specific changes, not rules changes. Could it be better, absolutely. But this process is run by a few dedicated volunteers who are communicating with almost 2000 licensed racers about more than 40 race classes. Racers who all want just a little more hp, just a little less weight and a few trick parts for their car. There needs to be a way to separately and transparently address the big rules like changing the 13/13 to 6/6, or mandatory pace car on double yellow, or closing pit out until whenever.
The following 2 users liked this post by chartersb:
Difool (07-07-2024), LuigiVampa (07-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Zone 1 Clubrace @ WGI a.k.a "The Clash"