Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2024, 01:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,579 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
An alternate opinion: this thread is largely pro-PCA and is coming from a place of wanting PCA and, by extension, PCA CR to:
  • adhere to its own rules
  • have rules that make sense
  • treat its members as the actual owners/stewards of the culture and raison d’etre of the club
  • not become a top heavy, bureaucratic nightmare organization run by people primarily focused on their own positions of power in the club
I 100% agree those goals, and I agree that there are problems in those regards, but I don’t think this thread is going to help achieve any of those goals, and it has clearly done harm to Luigi, whether he admits it or not.
Old 09-22-2024, 01:44 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I 100% agree those goals, and I agree that there are problems in those regards, but I don’t think this thread is going to help achieve any of those goals, and it has clearly done harm to Luigi, whether he admits it or not.
I’m willing to bet that there’s going to be more consideration from PCA bureaucrats about whether a particular interaction could go public. Maybe that will be enough to avoid some of the issues that many have experienced.

You sound fairly closeminded about how you think any individual person should interpret this overall situation, and I don’t see your efforts to “create balance” as being effective—it comes across more as pontificating.

Hopefully you continue to enjoy PCA, I prefer other organizations. And one great benefit of this thread is that others will have another datapoint to factor in as they make their own determinations.
The following 3 users liked this post by NightBlueTTS:
Larson E. Rapp (09-22-2024), LuigiVampa (09-22-2024), thebishman (09-23-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 02:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
I’m willing to bet that there’s going to be more consideration from PCA bureaucrats about whether a particular interaction could go public. Maybe that will be enough to avoid some of the issues that many have experienced.

You sound fairly closeminded about how you think any individual person should interpret this overall situation, and I don’t see your efforts to “create balance” as being effective—it comes across more as pontificating.

Hopefully you continue to enjoy PCA, I prefer other organizations. And one great benefit of this thread is that others will have another datapoint to factor in as they make their own determinations.
You're right that this thread may cause PCA National to be more careful about being abusive towards its members in the future. That would be a positive result.

I have my complaints about PCA, which I've expressed repeatedly in this thread, but I do think that, on the whole, PCA is a 'force for good' in our car world and I consider myself more a supporter of PCA than a detractor. Many of my best memories have been created through PCA experiences, and I've made many friends through PCA. If you drive a Porsche and are a car/driving enthusiast, PCA can be 'home' in the car community. It is for me.

All of that said, I've talked with a friend about forming a racing team, and don't feel inclined to race with PCA, mostly because of this thread.
Old 09-22-2024, 02:25 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Trying to provide some balance, since the thread is largely an anti-PCA campaign in which Luigi continues to throw fresh gas into the fire.
I want to know whose butt at PCA you are kissing here....because you have doing it for pretty much the whole thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by winders:
LuigiVampa (09-22-2024), Zhao (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 02:52 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Even if the PCA doctor is an *******, we can see that the strategy of refusing to provide the CPAP data, arguing that the latest sleep study report says a CPAP is no longer needed (the report doesn't say that), and escalating the dispute to a public fight with multiple leaders in PCA has not worked out well for either Luigi or PCA. Luigi may never race with PCA again, and there's no indication that there will be any significant reform in PCA policies and practices, nor anyone being fired, as a result of this fight.
All this does is highlight how poorly managed PCA is for not seeing the big picture. They ban hammered one racer and I am sure in their little inner circle they feel like they won, but allowed a very public and very unpopular position to get completely out of control and alienate a lot of new blood from ever joining at the same time by showing exactly who is in control of PCA. A bunch of old men who don't give a crap about anything but their own personal agenda and insuring people respect their authority even if it ruins the rep of the club. Doubling down, tripling down, quadrupling down at every step that they could have changed tacks and made it go away.

You gotta pick your battles, and they chose poorly, all for absolutely zero gain on their end. This did not make racing any safer, they probably didn't protect the club from any sort of liability, and it caused the club great damage. It caused every PCA racer damage by causing new blood all over the continent to turn elsewhere and will have a ripple effect for years because the entire door to door racing sport is mostly built on word of mouth (this thread was brought up at the last PCA DE I was at among instructors, and everyone thought it was just another example of bureaucracy gone overboard like a bad HOA). Good job PCA leadership.

Luigi may be done with PCA as a punishment, but he has tons of other options for places to race so he lost virtually nothing.

Whoever is above the medical committee really dropped the ball on this one on protecting the club.
The following 6 users liked this post by Zhao:
CT_Peter (09-22-2024), dbf73 (09-23-2024), Larson E. Rapp (09-22-2024), LuigiVampa (09-22-2024), Mike Roblin (09-22-2024), thebishman (09-23-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-22-2024, 03:39 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
All this does is highlight how poorly managed PCA is for not seeing the big picture. They ban hammered one racer and I am sure in their little inner circle they feel like they won, but allowed a very public and very unpopular position to get completely out of control and alienate a lot of new blood from ever joining at the same time by showing exactly who is in control of PCA. A bunch of old men who don't give a crap about anything but their own personal agenda and insuring people respect their authority even if it ruins the rep of the club. Doubling down, tripling down, quadrupling down at every step that they could have changed tacks and made it go away.

You gotta pick your battles, and they chose poorly, all for absolutely zero gain on their end. This did not make racing any safer, they probably didn't protect the club from any sort of liability, and it caused the club great damage. It caused every PCA racer damage by causing new blood all over the continent to turn elsewhere and will have a ripple effect for years because the entire door to door racing sport is mostly built on word of mouth (this thread was brought up at the last PCA DE I was at among instructors, and everyone thought it was just another example of bureaucracy gone overboard like a bad HOA). Good job PCA leadership.

Luigi may be done with PCA as a punishment, but he has tons of other options for places to race so he lost virtually nothing.

Whoever is above the medical committee really dropped the ball on this one on protecting the club.
You forgot to mention one more thing, this also showed many of us just how dirty national is when you challenge them with logic and reasoning resulting in several of us here publicly proclaiming that we will be leaving PCA when our membership expires. Who knows how many more are going to silently do the same. Is that really what they hoped to do?

Had PCA leadership simply been transparent instead of being almost totally silent (except for when handing out emotional punishment) I think things could have gone much better.

Last edited by Mike Roblin; 09-22-2024 at 03:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lgusto (09-23-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 03:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
I want to know whose butt at PCA you are kissing here....because you have doing it for pretty much the whole thread.
No, I haven't. I think I've complained about PCA enough in this thread to not be accused of being an agent for anyone at PCA. Luigi knows that.

I'm a PCA member and a PCA instructor. I don't have any other role in my PCA region, and the only PCA national people I know are the DE chair and safety chair (both from my region), neither of which has been involved in this fight between Luigi and PCA.
Old 09-22-2024, 04:01 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,525 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
An alternate opinion: this thread is largely pro-PCA and is coming from a place of wanting PCA and, by extension, PCA CR to:
  • adhere to its own rules
  • have rules that make sense
  • treat its members as the actual owners/stewards of the culture and raison d’etre of the club
  • not become a top heavy, bureaucratic nightmare organization run by people primarily focused on their own positions of power in the club
Bingo. PCA runs the show like a bunch of oligarchs beholden to no one.

Originally Posted by Nowanker
While still entertaining, this thread has pretty much devolved into restating the same positions ad infinitum.
Luigi's PCA race license is gone, and it ain't coming back.
He's immune from further abuse, freeing him to continue poking (the?) PCA in the eye.
Futile, but fun nevertheless!
New things in the works but they take time. I'm patient.

My goal is to make sure this goes wider than Rennlist to effect change. PCA is rotten at the top and needs a change. Some people have been there for decades and that is a huge part of the problem. They think they are PCA.

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
You forgot to mention one more thing, this also showed many of us just how dirty national is when you challenge them with logic and reasoning resulting in several of us here publicly proclaiming that we will be leaving PCA when our membership expires. Who knows how many more are going to silently do the same. Is that really what they hoped to do?

Had PCA leadership simply been transparent instead of being almost totally silent (except for when handing out emotional punishment) I think things could have gone much better.
I didn't demand the result I wanted - all I wanted was to be heard and my position considered. From the president, to the club race chair, to the medical committee, to the audit committee, to the executive committee, to the board, they all spent 100% of their time telling me to F off and not one moment considering my position.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
mlct (09-23-2024), thebishman (09-23-2024), Zhao (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 04:06 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin

True, very important point. If they're being deliberately obtuse when they're going against what seems logical and stone wall with a communication blackout with no recourse, imagine what they'd do when it is a topic with a grey area. Or IMO when it's you vs one of their buddies. That is probably the most infuriating thing to deal with because it speaks to the whole organization being rotten and/or incompetent at the top and not functioning properly. They're just volunteers and are not anymore important than anyone else in the club that volunteers, and are probably instantly replaceable if they ever stepped down.

Last edited by Zhao; 09-22-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2024, 06:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,525 Likes on 1,977 Posts

True, very important point. If they're being deliberately obtuse when they're going against what seems logical and stone wall with a communication blackout with no recourse, imagine what they'd do when it is a topic with a grey area. Or IMO when it's you vs one of their buddies. That is probably the most infuriating thing to deal with because it speaks to the whole organization being rotten and/or incompetent at the top and not functioning properly. They're just volunteers and are not anymore important than anyone else in the club that volunteers, and are probably instantly replaceable if they ever stepped down.
That's the problem - they think they are.

This is George Orwell 1984 - all PCA members are equal but some are more equal than others.

Think about it - Aaron Ambrosino, our current PCA president, is running unopposed for a second term. He thinks he is doing a good job and I got suspended in part for criticizing his leadership. The truth is criticizing his leadership would imply leadership. Instead, all decisions were made by the ad hoc medical committee and the PCA general counsel. That is who is running the show. He just shrugged his shoulders and told me he couldn't do anything.

I guess leadership is sipping mai tais on the veranda of whatever location the PCA parade is held each year.
Old 09-22-2024, 07:47 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 626 Likes on 371 Posts

Stating "The emperor has no clothes on" gets you banished from the empire.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
That's the problem - they think they are.

This is George Orwell 1984 - all PCA members are equal but some are more equal than others.

Think about it - Aaron Ambrosino, our current PCA president, is running unopposed for a second term. He thinks he is doing a good job and I got suspended in part for criticizing his leadership. The truth is criticizing his leadership would imply leadership. Instead, all decisions were made by the ad hoc medical committee and the PCA general counsel. That is who is running the show. He just shrugged his shoulders and told me he couldn't do anything.

I guess leadership is sipping mai tais on the veranda of whatever location the PCA parade is held each year.
As discussed many times in this thread, often the main reason someone will seek or take an unpaid volunteer high-level leadership position in an organization like PCA is to get the feeling of power and status, not for the purpose of service. The kinds of problems Luigi has experienced are common, and I'm doubtful that anything can be done to make the problems go away. That may sound cynical, but I think that's the reality of it.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:30 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 780 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
My goal is to make sure this goes wider than Rennlist to effect change.
Seems like a really bad idea.

Maybe thread lurkers and posters who use CPAP daily can comment on their experiences when not using it.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,228 Posts

I’ll say it again.

This is a bad idea.
peterp (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 02:08 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 626 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I’ll say it again.

This is a bad idea.
Why?
Should Luigi be worried that there will be more fallout with (the) PCA?
Worried that the 'Sh*t Disturber' label will taint his relationships with other groups?
Or perhaps they will mistake it that he's just cranky from lack of sleep, and should be blackballed there too...
LuigiVampa (09-23-2024)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license