Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are numbers for racing LOWER??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 11:14 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 171 Posts

I really don't think its the cost, to be honest. The series that are growing are very, very expensive. There is a lot of wealth out there. Which obviously don't sound very inclusive - but at the end of the day, its an expensive hobby!! And we are talking about racing expensive cars. The racers are out there ...

Try and rent a seat in WRL GTO today. It's 2015 pro series $$$.

Now try and go "pro" racing. MX5 Cup (note the use of lowercase @LuigiVampa ) is big $$$$. Everything in the racing world has gotten expensive. Even top SM builds are $60k today.

Within PCA, we've seen CUP grow pretty steadily these past few years. But we're not talking the $16k car that I bought 10 years ago, anymore; today, that's donor motor dollars. We're talking the same $$$ for CUP as you would pay for a 6/7Cup. Granted, some of the running costs are much lower (tires and most consumables), but the biggest costs - cost of entry, rebuilds - are at a similar level. Which is to say: we have a great counterpoint to the argument that costs are the problem. Unfortunately, that means that there are not too many brand new racers coming into CUP - so we've had to look elsewhere to find drivers with the right mindset ...
Old 04-04-2024, 11:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,210 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I should have clarified.

I was referring to only PCA events.
I understand. Germane to the question because obviously, a rising sea does NOT float all boats. So that would point the "opportunity for improvement" squarely back to the administration, marketing and operation of PCA only events.

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Porsche Club Racing in particular, not total events. It is decreasing on the CR and DE side. The numbers show that.
I can’t speak for racing, talking strictly about the HPDE side. Just from this thread, it’s obvious that CR is following the same trend.
Talking specifically about PCA.
Cost has become a HUGE factor.
Ditto. This is the same kind of argument where 65% of people think their own financial standing is good, but the same 65% think others (and the country's) is not. Big disconnect.

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
I really don't think its the cost, to be honest. The series that are growing are very, very expensive. There is a lot of wealth out there. Which obviously don't sound very inclusive - but at the end of the day, its an expensive hobby!! And we are talking about racing expensive cars. The racers are out there ...

Now try and go "pro" racing. MX5 Cup (note the use of lowercase @LuigiVampa ) is big $$$$. Everything in the racing world has gotten expensive. Even top SM builds are $60k today.

Within PCA, we've seen CUP grow pretty steadily these past few years. But we're not talking the $16k car that I bought 10 years ago, anymore; today, that's donor motor dollars. We're talking the same $$$ for CUP as you would pay for a 6/7Cup. Granted, some of the running costs are much lower (tires and most consumables), but the biggest costs - cost of entry, rebuilds - are at a similar level. Which is to say: we have a great counterpoint to the argument that costs are the problem. Unfortunately, that means that there are not too many brand new racers coming into CUP - so we've had to look elsewhere to find drivers with the right mindset ...
Agreed. Most important point (for PCA DE and Club Racing organizers. marketing folks and operations) is in bold.

Saying simply that in a diluted market, PCA Club racing (and some, but not all DE's) needs to become more relevant and more compelling to capture/recapture those lost to other venues. The people who think the opportunity (hence financial) costs of racing provide value are out there...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2024, 11:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

PCA has the most passionate, successful and performance focused membership of any of all of the different marque clubs out there.

The accessories and service market, the dealership and PMNA initiatives and outreach, it's all growing.

PCA driving events appear to be stuck in time...

Now, SOME Regions (and again, shoutout to just some of the exceptional examples) run programs that people WANT to be part of. Niagara, Potomac and several others. They look outward, invest in their participants, run well-oiled machines.

It can be done.
The following 5 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Carlo_Carrera (04-05-2024), Carrera51 (04-04-2024), erliuic (04-07-2024), Jas0nn (04-04-2024), tgsmith4845 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Porsche Club Racing in particular, not total events. It is decreasing on the CR and DE side. The numbers show that.
I can’t speak for racing, talking strictly about the HPDE side. Just from this thread, it’s obvious that CR is following the same trend.
Talking specifically about PCA.
Cost has become a HUGE factor.
My comment to your post was in reference to the last sentence. Missed the edit time.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:22 PM
Nicks2
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree, I guess the attraction of WRL (and to some extent any A&D) type effort is that an affluent (funded) driver does not have to pay for a 150-250k porsche unless they write it off, the $ can stay in its investment fund earning interest (that helps pay for the seat in a very similar car). Arrive and drive is now much more normal and accessible for those with the means, and could be argued has a lower risk, easier to get in and get out. It kind of alienates self support people who buy a car for $$$, show up without professional setup, testing, knowledge and track perks (food, massages, pep talks, coaching etc). FWIW i very much like the philosophy behind 911CUP, perhaps something could be done along the lines of “BoxsterCUP” which has a lower entry price, but i wouldn’t hold my breath that it works out when a nice SPB is still a 40-50k entry price. I am not sure that PCA’s target for new drivers are those attending champ or nasa or even gridlife events, but if it were there would need to be a big shift towards what makes those seem better value (in both time and $) to get folks more excited to sign up.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:41 PM
Adam144
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Why then is the TOTAL number of track event and competition event participants across the country and around the world increasing?
Because they're using cheaper cars?
Old 04-04-2024, 12:46 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Something else to consider as a counterpoint to the $$ excuse: PCA has a much larger concentration of drivers with pro track support most Clubs. Those services cost big $$$$.

I prep my own car; trailer it down; and do my best to keep it running during the weekend with minimal help (sometimes with one friend helping out all the cars in our 2/3 car paddock). Normal grassroots stuff. That's the only way I can afford to race as much as I do - that and one set of tires/race weekend!

Obviously the definition of "grassroots" has changed over time: I've heard the stories, and am in awe, of Gregg Wilson driving 10 hours in his race car with his race wheels strapped to the car only to show up at the track, swap wheels, win the race, and then drive home. The cars have changed over time - and so too has the notion of what constitutes "grassroots" - but this kind of self-supported racing is definitely NOT the norm in PCA (at least on the East Coast) as it is in CCA and NASA, for example.

I'd argue the norm is to have full track support - which is just one more point showing that there are plenty of people spending the $$$ ...

Last edited by Jas0nn; 04-04-2024 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jas0nn:
9114609048 (04-04-2024), tgsmith4845 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Something else to consider as a counterpoint to the $$ excuse: PCA has a much larger concentration of drivers with pro track support most Clubs. Those services cost big $$$$.

I prep my own car; trailer it down; and do my best to keep it running during the weekend with minimal help (sometimes with one friend helping out all the cars in our 2/3 car paddock). Normal grassroots stuff. That's the only way I can afford to race as much as I do - that and one set of tires/race weekend!

Obviously the definition of "grassroots" has changed over time: I've heard the stories, and am in awe, of Gregg Wilson driving 10 hours in his race car with his race wheels strapped to the car only to show up at the track, swap wheels, win the race, and then drive home. The cars have changed over time - and so too has the notion of what constitutes "grassroots" - but this kind of self-supported racing is definitely NOT the norm in PCA as it is in CCA and NASA, for example.

I'd argue the norm is to have full track support (at least on the East Coast) - which is just one more point showing that there are plenty of people spending the $$$ ...
I did that for years. Then I went to partial support. Then full support. The older I get, the more I like arrive and drive. You can't take it with you.
Manda Racing (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 01:09 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Originally Posted by sbelles
I did that for years. Then I went to partial support. Then full support. The older I get, the more I like arrive and drive. You can't take it with you.
Don't get me wrong: I'd love it! But we all have budgets - and self support means I can (sprint) race 5 times a year v. 2 times a year if I used support. I also appreciate that not everyone has the time/skills/tools to do it themselves. But I tell myself there is satisfaction in doing it yourself - just not at 2:00am the night before you're supposed to leave, and you find yourself upside down underneath the dash ...
The following 4 users liked this post by Jas0nn:
9114609048 (04-04-2024), ldamelio (04-04-2024), Manda Racing (04-04-2024), ProCoach (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,595 Likes on 832 Posts

Why then is the TOTAL number of track event and competition event participants across the country and around the world increasing?
I blame hookers and blow
The following 3 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
ProCoach (04-04-2024), stownsen914 (04-04-2024), supercup (04-15-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:35 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Nicks2. There are plenty of decent SPBs out there for well under $40-50K. $25-30K will buy you a good one. Done that. One of the fastest SPB guy in the country and definitely on the East Coast isn't racing a $40K SPB. His doesn't even have the current MCS shocks on it and he holds a couple of east coast track records. The driver of the Carebear SPB.
tgsmith4845 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 03:16 PM
Adam144
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Nicks2. There are plenty of decent SPBs out there for well under $40-50K. $25-30K will buy you a good one. Done that. One of the fastest SPB guy in the country and definitely on the East Coast isn't racing a $40K SPB. His doesn't even have the current MCS shocks on it and he holds a couple of east coast track records. The driver of the Carebear SPB.
Many many drivers have learned the lesson that the price of admission is the cheapest part of the whole endeavour.

Running costs, replacement parts, and upkeep for racing aren't cheap. They're even more costly when there's a Porsche crest involved.

The increase in car value, rarity and cost of parts is killing the 944. That all just moves up the chain each year.

Last edited by Adam144; 04-04-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Carrera51 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 03:44 PM
will968
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

"I'd argue the norm is to have full track support." I'd second that Jason. But we have way more fun for less $$$.
993944S2 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 04:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,362 Likes on 1,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicks2
Agree, I guess the attraction of WRL (and to some extent any A&D) type effort is that an affluent (funded) driver does not have to pay for a 150-250k porsche unless they write it off, the $ can stay in its investment fund earning interest (that helps pay for the seat in a very similar car). Arrive and drive is now much more normal and accessible for those with the means, and could be argued has a lower risk, easier to get in and get out. It kind of alienates self support people who buy a car for $$$, show up without professional setup, testing, knowledge and track perks (food, massages, pep talks, coaching etc). FWIW i very much like the philosophy behind 911CUP, perhaps something could be done along the lines of “BoxsterCUP” which has a lower entry price, but i wouldn’t hold my breath that it works out when a nice SPB is still a 40-50k entry price. I am not sure that PCA’s target for new drivers are those attending champ or nasa or even gridlife events, but if it were there would need to be a big shift towards what makes those seem better value (in both time and $) to get folks more excited to sign up.
Your post reminds me of a thread a few years back where the discussion was about track support and Swedish fish or maybe it was Norwegian fish…IDK, maybe the increase cost of Scandinavian seafood is the problem.. I’d ask Luigi, I think he was big into this 😀
ProCoach (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 05:39 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, I was talking to a couple of fellow coaches and IMSA teams now running WRL. They shared freely that WRL could become a victim of it's own success. The type of car required to excel, and the resources required in people/team/expense to support each of those entries, is now much closer to SRO and IMSA levels than where they were just a year or two ago.
Yup, this is what happened to the '12 hr at the Point', 'Longest Day' and 'Charge of the Headlight Brigade' SCCA enduros that were an absolute blast in the early 2000s BUT everyone just kept raising the game. History will likely repeat itself. Champ Car seems to have a bit better of a handle, may be?
ProCoach (04-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Why are numbers for racing LOWER??