Beaverun PCA race cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Beaverun PCA race cancelled

Whats up with the Beaverun Club Race being cancelled? Last year Allegheny Region did a great job. Fun event, exciting track and good turn out for the first year. Did they move the date? Summit Point Club Race is the week before I think.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News to me. I just downloaded the registration packet from their website yesterday. Good think I procrastinated on mailing it. Maybe they got some feedback that it was too close to the SP event but registration just opened, so it couldn't be because not enough people signed up.

Oh well, I guess LRP will have to fill that hole in the schedule.

Karl
Old 06-17-2004, 05:15 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know for me it was too close to the Summit race.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two races a week apart can be tough. I would drop Summit to race Beaverun for two reasons. 1) I have other races at Summit and two Alllegheny throws one hell of a party http://www.arpca.com/Photo%20Gallery...cP1010061b.jpg
Old 06-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well that sucks. I was just getting ready to mail in my registration. Now I have to scramble to find a replacement race that fits my work schedule.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:12 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is too bad. I has some email discussions with the organizers because I was so disappointed. I enjoyed the BeaveRun race last year.

The Summit date killed it. Most of us cannot do two races in a week, and the organizers knew this, but had already committed the date. Apparently, Potomac moved the Summit date to accommodate a VIR date change, which was done to accommodate a Pro race... etc, etc, just how things go... dominos falling....

Nobody set out to do mischief, but by the time all the accommodations were made by all the parties, Allegheny Region was screwed. They appealed to National, but I guess, each region really is somewhat autonomous in promoting the races so there wasn't much National could do but offer sympathy.

I do think concerned racers should take this as an object lesson back to National... we can always make things better and rationalize the schedules.... this year was something of a shambles for us in the NorthEast, IMHO.

Perhaps schedules should be managed regionally... NE, Mid-South, Deep South etc, as most racers stay within their area. PCA in total has alot of clout with track owners, and has access to alot of track dates. We could lock down "sacred days" that are fixed for each race each year. Any Region who wants to change does so at their own peril.... no last minute shuffles.

The interests of the Regions committing to races should also get some protection... I have been involved with this in the past. Believe me it is expensive and alot of work... too many of these incidents, and the program could start to dry up.

My sympathies to the organizers and hope they don;t give up for next year
Old 06-21-2004, 08:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well having clout when negotiation dates at tracks is huge. Around here if you just want a track once per year you are on a different list from the folks that rent it 5-8 times per year.

Thus you tend to get stuck with dates that don't work as well. This is especially hard when a race close by is doing the same thing. Then before you know it you have races too close and limited attendance.

It would be nice to have PCA National Step in someway to try to coordinate at least regionally and try to add some muscle with the tracks.

Then again I am not sure what PCA national could use as muscle.

Too bad..., but I it far better for them to cancel than to take it in the shorts moneywise. I hate to say, but alot of you said "I was just going to mail in my entry" Well had you done that a month ago they may have had enough number to run the race. Problem is that as the race gets close and you have only 10 racers registered and you figured you needed 70 to cover costs. Well you naturally start to panic when tens of thousands in costs are involved.

PS... I know that you don't always know if you can run a race so wait to later on commit, but risk of that is everyone does that a race could get canceled.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I doubt that PCA has any clout at MidOhio. Try to get a weekend at that track.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:11 AM
John Brown
Instructor

Spectator events have clout. Period.

If NASCAR wants Watkins Glen at the last minute, they get it. If SCCA Run-offs needs a different date at Mid Ohio, they'll get it. Simple. Not whining. Just stating a fact.

Which brings to mind a question. This months PANO had the interesting insurance explanation. Clearly states that PCA does not have insurance for specatator events. So, how do (the few) PCA events which are run as specatator events manage to do so?

Back to Beaver Run. On the other hand; PCA Regions must be blessed by national for a club race. So as a practical matter national has the ability to rationalize dates. National, (could have?/should have?) 'protected' Allegheny if they had the date first?? Not setting out to do mischief is a poor substitute for doing something positive.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

The track supplies the spectator part of the insurance. That is the reason National needs to review the track's insurance agreement prior. They want to verify that PCA is held harmless.

I know that many racers have asked for a VIR race date. While PCA has alot of 'clout' with tracks to include VIR, business is business. VIR is booked every weekend. The only 'in' that PCA has currently at VIR is with the Grand Am weekend. Trouble is, in 2002, the Grand Am folks took their time releasing their scheduling for 2003 and by the time they did, the race date for VIR fell on the same weekend as the Summit Point race. Potomac investigated different avenues to avoid the conflict, but at that point in time, it was too late. This year, the schedule came out earlier and Potomac was able to help out which they did (kudos to the Potomac BOD). I know that VIR is still trying to find a suitable stand alone date for a PCA club race, but PCA is not their only customer. I'm betting that the pro schools carry more weight than PCA.

Did Allegheny send out a plea this year for registrations? I know that last year they did and it seemed to work since they got enough to hold the race.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Allegheny sent last years participants e mails announcing changes to the track and event. All very upbeat looking forward to another fun sprint and enduro . Two weeks later cancelled shows up on the schedule.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:04 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't blame Allegheny, really. They could have lost tens of thousands of dollars if the registrations didn't come in, and there was no way they could overcome the date conflict. They have the exact same pool of drivers as Summit. THey had to make a tough business decision.

Big thing is asking a Region to give up a DE date for a Race. DE dates are hard to come by, make alot of profit, and allow broader participation by the Region's members.

Hopefully it will work out for BeaveRun next year.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:16 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's not everyone's favorite venue but what ever happened to the Pocono PCA race? It has not been run there for a few years.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Al P.
Pro

The date was taken by a spectator event and as has been said it's tough to get a region to kill a DE and use the date for a race.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:04 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

OT but, just got back from Beaverun ... still no bathrooms ... and the last 100 feet from paddock to the pits is still unpaved. Easy for me to spend their money, I know ... but how much could it cost to pave the last little bit of road so that every session doesn't begin with tires full of rocks?

Quick Reply: Beaverun PCA race cancelled