Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 09:31 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

I like LeClerc and think he's a good driver who will be competitive and deliver decent results. But I really do think he lacks the killer instinct and makes unforced errors when under heavy pressure. Like a QB with happy feet. Since someone mentioned him, LeClerc reminds me of Kirk Cousins. Nice QB who can put up decent numbers, but he's 1-4 in the playoffs and has zero rings.

I know, I am just a club racer but that's how I see it.
The following users liked this post:
Ksdaoski (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 11:52 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,274 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Sure can relate to that- went to first Indy F1 race in 2000. First day sitting across from the pits and telling my friend with me (we raced together for years in karts and spec Miata) we weren't wearing any damned ear plugs- first practice session Schumie was the only one who went by on the straight and didn't do an installation lap and go back in the pits. ONE car went by and we had ear plugs the rest of the weekend. I too miss those days...
Yes, earplugs were mandatory!

My buddy and I would always sit in the grandstands exiting Turn #10, the 180 at the end of the long straight at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Think it was Grandstand #25 pictured on the right in the photo below.

You could watch the cars hit the brakes and the brake discs glow bright orange under braking as the drivers slowed from 185 mph down to 35 mph in order to make the turn.
Then, they would rocket back up the track. During one practice session, Jean Alesi aborted his lap and found the gravel trap in this tight turn. The "gravel" was essentially large river rock.
Since his lap and session was done, he decided to keep the engine running and made his way back onto the track surface where he conducted the most glorious burn-out I'd ever seen!
Dude lit those tires up and kept the engine screaming and the crowd went absolutely BONKERS!

About a minute later, one of the other racers came by and gave him a lift on the side-pod back to the pits.
These engines popped, crackled, and just plain shrieked in the most primal way. Really miss them. The turbo engines don't even come close.
Just amazing stuff!

Gilles Villeneuve Circuit: F1 Track Map Layout & Lap Record (f1-fansite.com)

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 04-28-2024 at 02:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
Carrera51 (04-28-2024), skl (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 01:02 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
My first F1 race was also at Indianapolis just a few days after 9/11 in 2001. The sound was something I wasn't prepared for both in terms of how awesome it was and the fact the best TV Surround Sound system could never capture the essence of it. I was hooked and went to Indy another 3 times and Montreal once during the V10 era. Like you, after the first lap, I turned to my more seasoned F1 buddies who went with me to Indy and asked what in God's name was that thunder.... it was the downshifts pre-double clutch days. The sound from those gearboxes downshifting literally sounded like thunder in the sky. We couldn't believe how these gearboxes managed to stay intact with that kind of rumble!

Mix in the sound of 22 F1 cars at 18,000-20,000 rounding the final corner going onto the main straight against the metal bleachers at Indy, and their presence was felt in your chest. What a glorious experience we will never forget!
F1 cars do not, and have never used “double clutch” gearboxes.

Agree with all on the sound of the V10s. We went to Indy for the first F1 race there and were walking to the circuit when the cars started practice. The sound literally made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! Oh, and like an idiot I didn’t wear earplugs; probably lost a significant amount of my high frequency hearing that weekend! lol
Diablo Dude (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 05:08 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Btw: if you can, catch at least the last 5 laps of the MotoGP Spanish GP. It is everything that is missing in today’s F1, unfortunately!
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
500 (04-29-2024), Diablo Dude (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 05:38 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thebishman
Btw: if you can, catch at least the last 5 laps of the MotoGP Spanish GP. It is everything that is missing in today’s F1, unfortunately!
So true!
Epic racing between Pecco and Marquez.
And if you have HBO Max, you can watch MotoGP for FREE.

thebishman (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:18 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by ranlor79
How do you explain the drop in performance by Hamilton?
Age/loss of focus/too many distractions - fashion, music, celebs... Russell wouldn't be beating him if he still had the same level of intensity he had early in his career. Not criticizing, just stating facts.

Compare to Verstappen, whose downtime is spent sim racing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nizer:
multi21 (04-29-2024), skl (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:30 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Age/loss of focus/too many distractions - fashion, music, celebs... Russell wouldn't be beating him if he still had the same level of intensity he had early in his career. Not criticizing, just stating facts.

Compare to Verstappen, whose downtime is spent sim racing.
I would say age but the rest is hogwash. Plenty of top athletes at the complete pinnacle of their careers balance all that extra stuff and do plenty of things outside their profession. To say because HAM is into fashion blah blah blah and that is reason, not a chance. Also remember 80-90% is the car (facts from F1 gurus). His cars over that last couple of years have not been WDC worthy so I would say the 2 reasons are mostly the car and a little of age. Although ALO is actually defying that argument as well so I would say the car. That is the reason.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:21 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

Gotta go with the frustration of an uncompetitive car, along with too many other-than-racing pursuits. I can't think of very many other high level athletes with that much distraction.
Let's see how well Travis Kelce focuses on football next year...
Old 04-29-2024, 12:26 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Gotta go with the frustration of an uncompetitive car, along with too many other-than-racing pursuits. I can't think of very many other high level athletes with that much distraction.
Let's see how well Travis Kelce focuses on football next year...
That's the dumbest take I've heard, such a bad comparison. Dude won the super bowl with no drop in focus.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
Diablo Dude (04-29-2024), goin2drt (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I would say age but the rest is hogwash. Plenty of top athletes at the complete pinnacle of their careers balance all that extra stuff and do plenty of things outside their profession. To say because HAM is into fashion blah blah blah and that is reason, not a chance. Also remember 80-90% is the car (facts from F1 gurus). His cars over that last couple of years have not been WDC worthy so I would say the 2 reasons are mostly the car and a little of age. Although ALO is actually defying that argument as well so I would say the car. That is the reason.
Typically those top athletes do it in the off season. HAM is flying all over the world between races. HAM has had the dual advantage of being a very pgifted natural driver who has put very little work into his craft as well as having a car so fast he could turn down the engine after lap #3. The moment he was actually challenged by a fast driver in a car close, but not on par with the Merc, he finally went into the SIM room (2021).

It’s common knowledge that if HAM doesn’t have the fastest car, he gives up. He wants to retire the car, he makes excuses and “says” he’s experimenting with set ups.

I would never put HaM in the same category as Alonso or VER for several reasons but primarily due to the latter’s commitment, work ethic and ferociousness to extract the most out of the package they have been given. The term I would use to describe HAM is “front runner”.
The following 7 users liked this post by multi21:
9.5 Degrees (04-30-2024), George P. (04-29-2024), LuigiVampa (04-29-2024), MiamiBlue (04-30-2024), Mufflerbearing (04-29-2024), PeteAZ (04-29-2024), skl (04-29-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2024, 01:10 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Typically those top athletes do it in the off season. HAM is flying all over the world between races. HAM has had the dual advantage of being a very pgifted natural driver who has put very little work into his craft as well as having a car so fast he could turn down the engine after lap #3. The moment he was actually challenged by a fast driver in a car close, but not on par with the Merc, he finally went into the SIM room (2021).

It’s common knowledge that if HAM doesn’t have the fastest car, he gives up. He wants to retire the car, he makes excuses and “says” he’s experimenting with set ups.

I would never put HaM in the same category as Alonso or VER for several reasons but primarily due to the latter’s commitment, work ethic and ferociousness to extract the most out of the package they have been given. The term I would use to describe HAM is “front runner”.
Oh good lord. That is all I can say to this. As they say here in the south. Bless your heart.
The following 2 users liked this post by goin2drt:
Diablo Dude (04-29-2024), thebishman (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 01:49 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Huh?

During his world championship runs he was often beset with mechanical issues that he was challenged with and had to overcome.
He didn't give up. In fact, he dealt with the hand he was given (tires, poor pitstop strategy, etc.), overcame these issues and won.
Anyone actually watching his races would be aware of this. Toto Wolf certainly was and he doesn't "sugar-coat" anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
goin2drt (04-29-2024), thebishman (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 02:33 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,561 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Old 04-29-2024, 04:43 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Yes, earplugs were mandatory!

My buddy and I would always sit in the grandstands exiting Turn #10, the 180 at the end of the long straight at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Think it was Grandstand #25 pictured on the right in the photo below.

You could watch the cars hit the brakes and the brake discs glow bright orange under braking as the drivers slowed from 185 mph down to 35 mph in order to make the turn.
Then, they would rocket back up the track. During one practice session, Jean Alesi aborted his lap and found the gravel trap in this tight turn. The "gravel" was essentially large river rock.
Since his lap and session was done, he decided to keep the engine running and made his way back onto the track surface where he conducted the most glorious burn-out I'd ever seen!
Dude lit those tires up and kept the engine screaming and the crowd went absolutely BONKERS!

About a minute later, one of the other racers came by and gave him a lift on the side-pod back to the pits.
These engines popped, crackled, and just plain shrieked in the most primal way. Really miss them. The turbo engines don't even come close.
Just amazing stuff!

Gilles Villeneuve Circuit: F1 Track Map Layout & Lap Record (f1-fansite.com)
Yup ! This is where I sit as well (at the exit of the hairpin, although a bit further left in the grandstands where the kink is. This will be year 33 for me (first race was in 1989 with Thierry Boutsen winning in the rain). They didnt hold the race 2x since then and I missed one you for some family event. Great place to watch from.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELange0322:
Diablo Dude (04-29-2024), goin2drt (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 04:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Huh?

During his world championship runs he was often beset with mechanical issues that he was challenged with and had to overcome.
He didn't give up. In fact, he dealt with the hand he was given (tires, poor pitstop strategy, etc.), overcame these issues and won.
Anyone actually watching his races would be aware of this. Toto Wolf certainly was and he doesn't "sugar-coat" anything.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/2...-radio-message

https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/29/...-taking-ninth/

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...o-retire-spain

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1...avio-briatore/

“He is one of those drivers who doesn't put much effort into it if the car isn't good,” the Italian told RAI. Schumacher agrees with that sentiment, saying: “Hamilton has to feel like he can win to be able to drive fast.”Mar 15, 2024

winders (04-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season