Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA equal restraint rule + HANS/harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023 | 09:40 PM
bswift
Rennlist Member

Default PCA equal restraint rule + HANS/harnesses

I am a relatively new driver that generally runs beginner/intermediate solo, but occasionally runs in an instructed group with new regions/groups. I've had a number of situations where instructors jump in for a checkout or an instructed day and they do not have a HANS, which then requires me to tuck away harnesses, downgrade my safety and run with 3-points only.

Arguments on the rule or the safety of the devices themselves aside, how are those of you with harnesses/cage/HANS setups handling situations where one occupant of the vehicle does not have a HANS device?

Carrying spare HANS devices in various sizes to ensure that you have a match for any passengers? Simpson Hybrid for yourself when you are forced to run 3-points?
Old 07-05-2023 | 10:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bswift
I am a relatively new driver that generally runs beginner/intermediate solo, but occasionally runs in an instructed group with new regions/groups. I've had a number of situations where instructors jump in for a checkout or an instructed day and they do not have a HANS, which then requires me to tuck away harnesses, downgrade my safety and run with 3-points only.

Arguments on the rule or the safety of the devices themselves aside, how are those of you with harnesses/cage/HANS setups handling situations where one occupant of the vehicle does not have a HANS device?

Carrying spare HANS devices in various sizes to ensure that you have a match for any passengers? Simpson Hybrid for yourself when you are forced to run 3-points?
That is not my understanding of the rules. You are supposed to offer EQUAL seat and restraints. If an instructor does not have a HANS device, and thus needs to use the 3-point belt, I do not think the rules provide that you have to provide that instructor with personal safety gear.

If a student has a six point restraint on the driver side, but only a three point on the passenger side, than the student has to use the three point.

I would never ask a student to downgrade if I forgot my HANS, but I could be wrong about my interpretation. If I am wrong than PCA is inviting a lawsuit if a student is ever injured because they downgraded their safety due to an instructor not having proper safety gear.

Remember, never use harness restraints without a HANS or HANS type device.
The following users liked this post:
2024CaymanS (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023 | 10:33 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

as posted PCA requires equal restraint systems for both sides AND they require a HANS devise if using 5 or 6 point harnesses. so if you have them then anyone who rides in your vehicle are required to use a HANS. the rule has been around for at least 2 years, maybe more, and typically isn't a problem at events. speak to the event organizers and tell then your setup and that you would like an instructors who uses a HANS. problem solved.
The following 2 users liked this post by nineball:
2024CaymanS (07-06-2023), ZnZBar 986S (07-25-2023)
Old 07-05-2023 | 10:34 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
That is not my understanding of the rules. You are supposed to offer EQUAL seat and restraints. If an instructor does not have a HANS device, and thus needs to use the 3-point belt, I do not think the rules provide that you have to provide that instructor with personal safety gear.

If a student has a six point restraint on the driver side, but only a three point on the passenger side, than the student has to use the three point.

I would never ask a student to downgrade if I forgot my HANS, but I could be wrong about my interpretation. If I am wrong than PCA is inviting a lawsuit if a student is ever injured because they downgraded their safety due to an instructor not having proper safety gear.

Remember, never use harness restraints without a HANS or HANS type device.
This is correct. Just offer equivalent safety equipment. You don't have to downgrade your safety because it is refused.
2024CaymanS (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023 | 11:49 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry folks, but the OP is correct in terms of the interpretation of the rules. They have been around for about three or four years:

Another reference is here:

Microsoft Word - Harness_HANS_Scenarios (clubregistration.net)
ZnZBar 986S (07-25-2023)
Old 07-05-2023 | 11:50 PM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

I would ask for my refund and be on my way. If I have a harness and Hans as a beginner and my “instructor” wants me to downgrade then sir please give me my refund for the HPDE event and I’ll be on my way. I wouldn’t sacrifice my safety for anyone else.
Old 07-05-2023 | 11:53 PM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a newbie too. Only three track days in my old ford focus st. But I would never sacrifice my safety for an instructor….especially if he or she wants to be less safe than me. Why wouldn’t you wear a HANS?! So many people have this ego problem on the track.
Old 07-05-2023 | 11:56 PM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

are both your seats with harness systems??
Old 07-05-2023 | 11:57 PM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Sorry folks, but the OP is correct in terms of the interpretation of the rules. They have been around for about three or four years:

OP makes it seems as if he’s got two seats with harness and his instructor chooses not to wear a HANS device. We have to know how his car is setup.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2024CaymanS:
cbracerx (07-09-2023), LuigiVampa (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:03 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

This matrix does not cover the OP's scenario. His scenario is that both seats have both harness and three point and the instructor failed to bring a HANS device.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
2024CaymanS (07-06-2023), cbracerx (07-09-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:04 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Btw. I would never buy Hans as extras in my car. Instructors should be fitted for their size. I’m not responsible for them. Just ask for a new instructor who has a Hans. Most should have seen enough garbage on the track to wear one.
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:05 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

This matrix does not cover the OP's scenario. His scenario is that both seats have both harness and three point and the instructor failed to bring a HANS device.
this is what I’m thinking
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:06 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by 2024CaymanS
this is what I’m thinking
we need OP to chime in about his setup. To make it clear
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:24 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

I reRead OP original post. Looks like he had to tuck away the harness and use 3 points because of his instructor. Epic Fail. We all only have one brain attached to our body. Be safe out there.
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:26 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2024CaymanS
I would ask for my refund and be on my way. If I have a harness and Hans as a beginner and my “instructor” wants me to downgrade then sir please give me my refund for the HPDE event and I’ll be on my way. I wouldn’t sacrifice my safety for anyone else.
As as instructor this is what I hear when you said that:

You're prepared to pilot the car around to the point where you need a harness and hans to feel safe, but how dare that person in the passenger seat request the same level of protection. How dare their worthless life demand you compromise YOUR safety to bring it down to the same level you're offering them. How dare they assume their life even has value, let alone the same value as yours. The audacity of expecting you to spend hundreds of dollars giving them the same protection you deem to be the bare minimum for yourself. You're already spending hundreds of dollars attending the event so that they can spend their own money on gas and time volunteering to insure you have the best experience possible and they should be thankful they got to associate with you for the day rather than complain about safety. After all, you're the main character. The most important person to ever attend anything ever.

If you're not prepared to run the same safety kit as you're expecting your passenger to I'd say don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Quick Reply: PCA equal restraint rule + HANS/harnesses