Sponsored by:

PCA equal restraint rule + HANS/harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023 | 12:33 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Zhao
As as instructor this is what I hear when you said that:

You're prepared to pilot the car around to the point where you need a harness and hans to feel safe, but how dare that person in the passenger seat request the same level of protection. How dare their worthless life demand you compromise YOUR safety to bring it down to the same level you're offering them. How dare they assume their life even has value, let alone the same value as yours. The audacity of expecting you to spend hundreds of dollars giving them the same protection you deem to be the bare minimum for yourself. You're already spending hundreds of dollars attending the event so that they can spend their own money on gas and time volunteering to insure you have the best experience possible and they should be thankful they got to associate with you for the day rather than complain about safety. After all, you're the main character. The most important person to ever attend anything ever.

If you're not prepared to run the same safety kit as you're expecting your passenger to I'd say don't let the door hit you on the way out.
well based on this comment I hope you’re never my instructor. You’re only the instructor because I pay the money for the events. You instruct and in turn get to drive for free on the track. Not like you don’t get anything in return. But if your student is wearing a Hans, on his or her first day, and you don’t have one then some newb is obviously smarter than you. And if you’re truly an instructor why would you play down safety. Don’t try to justify yourself. You’ve obviously made your point. Instructors way or the Highway.
The following users liked this post:
mhm993 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:35 AM
Zhao
Drifting

I've also seen some complete garbage setups show up. I remember a 70s car. Bucket, harness, cage, completely gutted. The guy decided a OEM vinyl seat with a 3 point belt was good enough for the instructor. Door trim was also removed so not even a grab handle. That guy was instantly sent on his way to grab another car for the school. No person should be subjected to that bull****.

I've been in something very similar but the driver had the same level of kit, and I was the 2nd instructor to get in that car. The first one said F this, find me another student or i'm going home. I evaluated it myself and figured we weren't going to get any cornering speed out of his radial T/A tires and as long as the guy wasn't an idiot, and didn't go mach chicken we be ok at that track. The guy was very level headed so I didn't regret saying yes.

But now that I have a family I would have been the 2nd instructor that day to say F this.
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:36 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by 2024CaymanS
You’re only the instructor because I pay the money for the events.
I hate entitled people....You only get to drive because someone gives up their time to help you learn how to drive properly.
The following 5 users liked this post by winders:
bswift (07-06-2023), dan212 (07-08-2023), ExMB (07-06-2023), stownsen914 (07-06-2023), Zhao (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:39 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

You're prepared to pilot the car around to the point where you need a harness and hans to feel safe, but how dare that person in the passenger seat request the same level of protection. How dare their worthless life demand you compromise YOUR safety to bring it down to the same level you're offering them. How dare they assume their life even has value, let alone the same value as yours. The audacity of expecting you to spend hundreds of dollars giving them the same protection you deem to be the bare minimum for yourself. You're already spending hundreds of dollars attending the event so that they can spend their own money on gas and time volunteering to insure you have the best experience possible and they should be thankful they got to associate with you for the day rather than complain about safety. After all, you're the main character. The most important person to ever attend anything ever.

If you're not prepared to run the same safety kit as you're expecting your passenger to I'd say don't let the door hit you on the way out.
when I’m going 120++ down the bank of Daytona I want to be the safest I can. If I as a newbie have a harness and Hans and my instructor doesn’t then I reallly don’t need that instructor. I’ll pay more and find another one. I can’t predict when the car one length behind me looses breaks and crashes into me sending me into the wall. You and the people who have you as an “instructor” should rethink their priorities. Tracking and racing isn’t cheap. Safety is cheaper than tires and brakes and oil and fluid. And we all also just have one life.
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:39 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

As an instructor I am often confronted with a situation where I get into a car with only lap belts so I can't wear a HANS device. I could invest in a Simpson Hybrid device, which doesn't require a harness, so that is my choice.

In the OP's example it is the instructor coming without a HANS, even though they are offered equal restraints. If I forgot my HANS that day that would be on me. I think it would be the height of hubris to expect my student to downgrade in the OP's scenario.
The following 8 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
2024CaymanS (07-06-2023), bswift (07-06-2023), cbracerx (07-09-2023), CT_Peter (07-06-2023), dan212 (07-08-2023), Frank Abe (07-06-2023), raspritz (07-09-2023), steveP911 (07-06-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:42 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by winders
I hate entitled people....You only get to drive because someone gives up their time to help you learn how to drive properly.
this doesn’t make me entitled. Instructor should take safety first. If he or she can’t afford a hans and there’s a harness in a car don’t make the driver take it off. Stop being snarky
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:43 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
As an instructor I am often confronted with a situation where I get into a car with only lap belts so I can't wear a HANS device. I could invest in a Simpson Hybrid device, which doesn't require a harness, so that is my choice.

In the OP's example it is the instructor coming without a HANS, even though they are offered equal restraints. If I forgot my HANS that day that would be on me. I think it would be the height of hubris to expect my student to downgrade in the OP's scenario.
this guy gets it. Just say I don’t have my hans I’ll find you someone who does. But all these other posters playing down safety is just ridiculous.
Old 07-06-2023 | 12:53 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

I've also seen some complete garbage setups show up. I remember a 70s car. Bucket, harness, cage, completely gutted. The guy decided a OEM vinyl seat with a 3 point belt was good enough for the instructor. Door trim was also removed so not even a grab handle. That guy was instantly sent on his way to grab another car for the school. No person should be subjected to that bull****.

I've been in something very similar but the driver had the same level of kit, and I was the 2nd instructor to get in that car. The first one said F this, find me another student or i'm going home. I evaluated it myself and figured we weren't going to get any cornering speed out of his radial T/A tires and as long as the guy wasn't an idiot, and didn't go mach chicken we be ok at that track. The guy was very level headed so I didn't regret saying yes.

But now that I have a family I would have been the 2nd instructor that day to say F this.
and as an instructor. That’s your decision to make. But please don’t tell a driver with a legit car, seats, harness, I don’t have my hans use three points cause I told you so. That just makes this whole sport look bad.
Old 07-06-2023 | 01:04 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by winders
these were my first few posts on rennlist. We’re not racing. There’s no checkered flag at the end. No pay out. But if the instructors are truly going to behave and speak this way to newbies because the newbs want to be safer than I’ll think again about posting and reading here. As the saying goes a few ruin it for the rest. Safety should be the number one goal. We all have families, lives, business to go home to. This is just a hobby.
turbo36x (07-08-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 01:26 AM
bswift
Rennlist Member

That is not my understanding of the rules. You are supposed to offer EQUAL seat and restraints. If an instructor does not have a HANS device, and thus needs to use the 3-point belt, I do not think the rules provide that you have to provide that instructor with personal safety gear.

If a student has a six point restraint on the driver side, but only a three point on the passenger side, than the student has to use the three point.

I would never ask a student to downgrade if I forgot my HANS, but I could be wrong about my interpretation. If I am wrong than PCA is inviting a lawsuit if a student is ever injured because they downgraded their safety due to an instructor not having proper safety gear.

Remember, never use harness restraints without a HANS or HANS type device.
This was my interpretation of the rules initially as well however it is not how it has been enforced at the track.

I also don't expect instructors who are kind (and brave) enough to volunteer their time to sit right seat to purchase equipment they are not using in their own car to accommodate what seems to be a rare case where a student has harnesses installed.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Sorry folks, but the OP is correct in terms of the interpretation of the rules. They have been around for about three or four years:

Another reference is here:

Microsoft Word - Harness_HANS_Scenarios (clubregistration.net)
Thank you for providing this. While it doesn't cover my particular use case, it provides more color and demonstrates that the highest level "equal" system is what must be used by both occupants. In my situation that would mean that 3 points must be used if both drivers do not have a HANS to use with the harnesses, which has been my experience at events.

I would ask for my refund and be on my way. If I have a harness and Hans as a beginner and my “instructor” wants me to downgrade then sir please give me my refund for the HPDE event and I’ll be on my way. I wouldn’t sacrifice my safety for anyone else.
Not a decision that I would make, especially after driving 8+ hours to an event, but I admire your commitment to safety.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a newbie too. Only three track days in my old ford focus st. But I would never sacrifice my safety for an instructor….especially if he or she wants to be less safe than me. Why wouldn’t you wear a HANS?! So many people have this ego problem on the track.
To be fair to the instructors, this isn't really their decision and I don't fault them at all. From my experience in the paddock it's not common for a student to have harnesses and I don't expect them all to purchase one as volunteer instructors.

are both your seats with harness systems??
Yes. Both seats have the same harness setup.

Btw. I would never buy Hans as extras in my car. Instructors should be fitted for their size. I’m not responsible for them. Just ask for a new instructor who has a Hans. Most should have seen enough garbage on the track to wear one.
Thus the question on whether people are bringing multiple sizes. Most groups have been great about setting me up with an instructor who has a HANS, but that's not always possible.

well based on this comment I hope you’re never my instructor. You’re only the instructor because I pay the money for the events. You instruct and in turn get to drive for free on the track. Not like you don’t get anything in return. But if your student is wearing a Hans, on his or her first day, and you don’t have one then some newb is obviously smarter than you. And if you’re truly an instructor why would you play down safety. Don’t try to justify yourself. You’ve obviously made your point. Instructors way or the Highway.
when I’m going 120++ down the bank of Daytona I want to be the safest I can. If I as a newbie have a harness and Hans and my instructor doesn’t then I reallly don’t need that instructor. I’ll pay more and find another one. I can’t predict when the car one length behind me looses breaks and crashes into me sending me into the wall. You and the people who have you as an “instructor” should rethink their priorities. Tracking and racing isn’t cheap. Safety is cheaper than tires and brakes and oil and fluid. And we all also just have one life.
I think it's important to recognize the risk that an instructor is taking on our behalf. They are volunteering their time and putting their life in the hands of a stranger who could be a complete lunatic of a driver for the purpose of helping us learn and progress as drivers. Instruction is worth a hell of a lot more than the $50-$100 that we pay extra as students and discounted or free track fees would not be enough to justify the risk if I put myself in their shoes.

If you forgot or didn't have a HANS to begin with and your student had a HANS or Simpson in your size, would you say you'd be willing to install posts for the weekend?

Old 07-06-2023 | 01:38 AM
winders
Race Car

But if the instructors are truly going to behave and speak this way to newbies because the newbs want to be safer than I’ll think again about posting and reading here.
The old "I'll take my ball and go play somewhere else" ploy....stop being so melodramatic.

As the saying goes a few ruin it for the rest.
Yep...you should look in the mirror.

This HPDE thing has been going on for a very long time. Why don't you give it some time BEFORE you start telling everyone how it should be done. Not all instructors have 6 point belt systems in their cars so they may not all have HANS devices. Newbies probably are less likely to get an instructor with a HANS device than those in the more experienced run groups. You should not expect every instructor to have a HANS device. Yes, yes, you are entitled to this and that...I know....you have told us.....

Old 07-06-2023 | 01:45 AM
2024CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by bswift
This was my interpretation of the rules initially as well however it is not how it has been enforced at the track.

I also don't expect instructors who are kind (and brave) enough to volunteer their time to sit right seat to purchase equipment they are not using in their own car to accommodate what seems to be a rare case where a student has harnesses installed.

Thank you for providing this. While it doesn't cover my particular use case, it provides more color and demonstrates that the highest level "equal" system is what must be used by both occupants. In my situation that would mean that 3 points must be used if both drivers do not have a HANS to use with the harnesses, which has been my experience at events.

Not a decision that I would make, especially after driving 8+ hours to an event, but I admire your commitment to safety.

To be fair to the instructors, this isn't really their decision and I don't fault them at all. From my experience in the paddock it's not common for a student to have harnesses and I don't expect them all to purchase one as volunteer instructors.

Yes. Both seats have the same harness setup.

Thus the question on whether people are bringing multiple sizes. Most groups have been great about setting me up with an instructor who has a HANS, but that's not always possible.

I think it's important to recognize the risk that an instructor is taking on our behalf. They are volunteering their time and putting their life in the hands of a stranger who could be a complete lunatic of a driver for the purpose of helping us learn and progress as drivers. Instruction is worth a hell of a lot more than the $50-$100 that we pay extra as students and discounted or free track fees would not be enough to justify the risk if I put myself in their shoes.

If you forgot or didn't have a HANS to begin with and your student had a HANS or Simpson in your size, would you say you'd be willing to install posts for the weekend?
thanks for the well thought out response. But never comprise your safety again because of an instructor. You had the right setup but your instructor didn’t have a hans. Not your fault. It’s the event organizers fault. I’ll never blame someone to try to be safer. Seems like your instructor didn’t care. And crashes happen in novice groups too. 8 hours drive is 8 hours. I’m planning a trip to charlotte in October with some buddies. They all have 6 point harness systems and half cage roll bars. Street legal cars. They run in intermediate and advanced groups. I’ll be in beginner. I’m paying for the on track insurance in turn I get to use one of my friends cars for two days. No consumable cost for me. But if an instructor tells me in October take off the harness and Hans and wear a three point with my Helmet I’ll tell them to go pound sand and won’t drive. I only have one head and brain attached to one body.

Last edited by 2024CaymanS; 07-06-2023 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2023 | 03:15 AM
Ximian
Track Day

Get in touch with the HPDE event organizer and let them know ahead of time that you need an instructor with a HANS device. It's much easier to accommodate the request weeks in advance than the day of the event.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ximian:
2024CaymanS (07-06-2023), bswift (07-06-2023), Frank Abe (07-06-2023), Mike Roblin (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 07:50 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ximian
Get in touch with the HPDE event organizer and let them know ahead of time that you need an instructor with a HANS device. It's much easier to accommodate the request weeks in advance than the day of the event.
This is the correct way to do it send a notice or fill out DE registration form indicating you need an instructor with a HANS to fulfill the equal restraint national requirement and then request a confirmation from Registrar that your request was received, never down grade safety for any reason.
Rich
The following 3 users liked this post by uscarrera:
2024CaymanS (07-06-2023), bswift (07-06-2023), Mike Roblin (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 08:35 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ximian
^^^^ This - and problem solved.
bswift (07-06-2023)

Quick Reply: PCA equal restraint rule + HANS/harnesses