Sponsored by:

Check my jacking sequence please

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 11:53 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 547 Posts
Default Check my jacking sequence please

I'm just starting to do my own basic mechanical work - pad changes and flushes. Car is a 2018 Cayman S with the standard four jacking points.

I've purchased 2 Jackpoint jack stands , 2 round top Esco jackstands, and a set of lift pucks. My goal was to get the car up on all 4 without having to jack anywhere but the 4 factory corners. I have done my Googling and YouTubing, but I'm still not 100% clear. Here's what I think is correct. Which side to start on seems arbitrary, but I'll use the right just to keep my description clear.

1. Set parking brake

2. Chock left side tires

3. Lift right rear with Jackpoint puck; right front will also come up

4. Place conventional Esco jack stand under right front lift point with puck inserted

5. Lower right rear onto Jackpoint jack stand

(Right side of car is now up on two stands)

6. Lift left rear with Jackpoint puck also elevating left front

7. Place conventional Esco jack stand under left front with puck

8. Lower left rear onto Jackpoint jack stand

9. Gentle rock to make sure everything stable.

Is this OK? The part I'm unclear about is step 6. With the right side of the car up, is it safe to jack at the left rear? The left front will be transiently unsupported and need to be lifted an inch or so above level to get a jackstand under it.

Anything else I'm missing? (I will use pads under jack stands to avoid denting hot asphalt).
The following users liked this post:
wingless (06-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 12:05 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
I'm just starting to do my own basic mechanical work - pad changes and flushes. Car is a 2018 Cayman S with the standard four jacking points.

I've purchased 2 Jackpoint jack stands , 2 round top Esco jackstands, and a set of lift pucks. My goal was to get the car up on all 4 without having to jack anywhere but the 4 factory corners. I have done my Googling and YouTubing, but I'm still not 100% clear. Here's what I think is correct. Which side to start on seems arbitrary, but I'll use the right just to keep my description clear.

1. Set parking brake

2. Chock left side tires

3. Lift right rear with Jackpoint puck; right front will also come up

4. Place conventional Esco jack stand under right front lift point with puck inserted

5. Lower right rear onto Jackpoint jack stand

(Right side of car is now up on two stands)

6. Lift left rear with Jackpoint puck also elevating left front

7. Place conventional Esco jack stand under left front with puck

8. Lower left rear onto Jackpoint jack stand

9. Gentle rock to make sure everything stable.

Is this OK? The part I'm unclear about is step 6. With the right side of the car up, is it safe to jack at the left rear? The left front will be transiently unsupported and need to be lifted an inch or so above level to get a jackstand under it.

Anything else I'm missing? (I will use pads under jack stands to avoid denting hot asphalt).
In my Cayman, I can Jack up the rear (both sides) with 1 jack. With a 2nd jack, I can lift either side of the front and at that point, all 4 wheels are off the ground for rotation or pads or new rubber.
I have not used jack stands since a horrific paddock accident I saw at The Glen a few years back involving jack stands. That’s just me. I’m not saying not to use them. Just my preference after seeing what I saw.
Safety first always….
Old 02-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

How are you getting the rear jackstand under the rear jack point since its on the jack? Are you using the frame? I normally do each side at a time when I change wheels, rotors or pads. I place a jack stand under the rear suspension for safety. If I put on all four jack stands, do the front as you describe. Lower the car on the front jack point and then jack from rear engine pan cross brace. Placing two short stacked 2 x 4s under the rear tire helps with stability. You can buy an after market rear jack point, but they are $100.

My only reason to do four jack stands was a brake flush. Got to be too much work. Now I pay every six months for new Motul 660 which I supply since I track my 2013 Boxster S.

Since you are DIY you might consider brake caliper studs. If you are not tracking the frequency of rotor replacement and front pads (have to remove the caliper) won't be that often. Porsche recommends new brake caliper bolts each time for corrosion. The opportunity to damage the aluminum threads exists every time.

Old 02-04-2023, 01:23 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
How are you getting the rear jackstand under the rear jack point since its on the jack? Are you using the frame?
Jackpoint jack stands - that's the whole point of them and the specific questions in my sequence and post.

https://jackpointjackstands.com/

They are different than standard jack stands and allow you to replace the jack as a lift point. I don't want to jack anywhere on the frame or install one of the aftermarket rear center jack points..

I agree re jacking one side at a time for tire and pad changes, but I also want to do my own flushes with all four up; I'm also a Motul 660 fan. I am tracking 20+ days a year (that's why I posted in this forum) and pads and fluid will be frequent. If I were just street driving, I'd just pay an indy to do all this every couple of years.

I have front caliper studs (Tarret), prior to them I did use new bolts every time.

Anyone here with Jackpoint familiarity that can verify my sequence?

Last edited by ldamelio; 02-04-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:58 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

Apologizes. The "Jackpoint" brand did not register. Fantastic produce. If I were still doing my own flushes would most likely have a set. You and Jay Leno.

Where and what do you track?
Old 02-04-2023, 02:58 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

My dirty mind went somewhere completle different from the title.... sorry i cant be more help
Old 02-04-2023, 03:15 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
My dirty mind went somewhere completle different from the title.... sorry i cant be more help
Lol..well played
Old 02-04-2023, 04:22 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Apologizes. The "Jackpoint" brand did not register. Fantastic produce. If I were still doing my own flushes would most likely have a set. You and Jay Leno.

Where and what do you track?

No apology necessary! I'm halfway between NJMP and Pocono but I prefer the former, especially Lightning. I also get to the Glen and Summit, hoping to hit mid-Ohio and VIR this year.
Car is a 2018 Cayman S with track wheels/ tires, minor suspension work and brake upgrades. For now.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:23 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
That I leave to the pros..............
Old 02-04-2023, 04:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ldamelio
No apology necessary! I'm halfway between NJMP and Pocono but I prefer the former, especially Lightning. I also get to the Glen and Summit, hoping to hit mid-Ohio and VIR this year.
Car is a 2018 Cayman S with track wheels/ tires, minor suspension work and brake upgrades. For now.
You can do all of those with NNJR…fyi.

Happy to have you.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:42 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 191 Posts

I think your sequence makes sense. Have you tried your JackPoint stands yet? I have a pair and they're an ingenious product, but I ran into clearance issues with them with my GT4. Even though I use a low-profile aluminum "racing" jack, and I bought the specific low-profile aluminum discs/pads from JackPoint, there wasn't enough clearance to get the jack and disc combo under the car to start the lifting process. So if I was jacking the passenger rear, I would have to start with the passenger front with a second jack and lift that whole side a bit to get enough clearance to get the first jack and JackPoint disc under the passenger rear jacking point. My GT4 track setup was on 19" Forgelines, so the car sat lower than stock--your Cayman S might have adequate clearance, but this is a workaround if you have the same issue. Where the JackPoint stands were a huge help was when my wife's BMW 3 series had a screw in the tire last summer. I was able to quickly get a JackPoint stand under the affected corner of the car, remove the wheel/tire, and let the car sit safely on the stand in our driveway while I took the wheel and tire to a local tire shop to get repaired.

Another thing to strongly consider, given your frequency of tracking and planned maintenance, is a QuickJack system. People rave about it. Probably the best $1300 you can spend, and it will easily pay for itself with your DIY labor cost savings.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:10 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I think your sequence makes sense. Have you tried your JackPoint stands yet? I have a pair and they're an ingenious product, but I ran into clearance issues with them with my GT4. Even though I use a low-profile aluminum "racing" jack, and I bought the specific low-profile aluminum discs/pads from JackPoint, there wasn't enough clearance to get the jack and disc combo under the car to start the lifting process. So if I was jacking the passenger rear, I would have to start with the passenger front with a second jack and lift that whole side a bit to get enough clearance to get the first jack and JackPoint disc under the passenger rear jacking point. My GT4 track setup was on 19" Forgelines, so the car sat lower than stock--your Cayman S might have adequate clearance, but this is a workaround if you have the same issue. Where the JackPoint stands were a huge help was when my wife's BMW 3 series had a screw in the tire last summer. I was able to quickly get a JackPoint stand under the affected corner of the car, remove the wheel/tire, and let the car sit safely on the stand in our driveway while I took the wheel and tire to a local tire shop to get repaired.

Another thing to strongly consider, given your frequency of tracking and planned maintenance, is a QuickJack system. People rave about it. Probably the best $1300 you can spend, and it will easily pay for itself with your DIY labor cost savings.
Thanks - someone verified the sequence on another forum and I also found something buried in one of the 911 forums that concurred. I have used the QuickJack at a friend's garage and liked it; I may consider it at some point. My Cayman S has no PASM/SPASM and is not lowered so I'm pretty sure everything will fit, but I will keep your advice in mind.

Last edited by ldamelio; 02-04-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:58 PM
Tigers10
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

I know this doesn't answer your question but quickjack and catalyst (from your other thread) have been the two purchases I've been happiest with since starting HPDE.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:40 PM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

I'll second the QuickJack, it was a game changer for me, I haven't touched my stupid jack stands in months, that and the simplest thing, the Milwaukee lithium battery impact, I never go anywhere without it now.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:30 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Personally I'd prefer to jack one end of the car and put two jackstands under before repositioning the jack. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a car in the air supported by one jackstand and a jack. Probably OK 98% of the time, but it's the 2% I'd worry about.

Quick Reply: Check my jacking sequence please