Sponsored by:

Garmin Catalyst

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 12:43 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
That all seems like very sound advice. I am right on the edge of buying the Catalyst so I appreciate your insight, along with the others. Your last comment about the passenger dash airbag was worth noting too. That is right where my airbag is (997). I have tried using my iphone (with TrackAddict) suction cupped to the lower mid windshield, and I found it distracting (maybe I'm still not looking up/out enough?). So I had hoped to mount a new Garmin over in front of the passenger/instructor but after your comment I think I won't do that. Question - how will the Catalyst work if it is in the glove box? I also do not want the lap times displayed while driving (rules or not) - I only want the post session data and tips. Maybe I just don't know the device but won't the glovebox shield the GPS, etc?

Thanks for any guidance. I have been looking through some other threads on the Garmin but haven't seen info on this aspect.

Steve
I used a Garmin for the first time this past weekend and having the feedback from the timer while driving was *awesome*. Specifically, the delta updating live helped clearly answer line choice questions I had throughout the event. That was super powerful and I didn't even touch any of the advanced capabilities.

Probably very obvious to many, but the feedback is awesome.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 02:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The Garmin GPS doesn't seem as strong as some other products, but none would be expected to work in the glovebox.
True, on the latter.

The integral antenna of the Garmin is equally as strong as the self-contained devices from other manufacturers. It needs the same kind of placement to be effective.

Considering Garmin has built a $4B/year plus business on introducing GPS devices nearly a decade earlier than most others, they do seem to know what they're doing.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aboutgps/
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

DHI (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 03:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
True, on the latter.

The integral antenna of the Garmin is equally as strong as the self-contained devices from other manufacturers. It needs the same kind of placement to be effective.

Considering Garmin has built a $4B/year plus business on introducing GPS devices nearly a decade earlier than most others, they do seem to know what they're doing.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aboutgps/
Glad your not letting Bruce down. Based on the much longer cold and hot boot, mounting requirements, and feedback from users, I would say it's not as strong as other GPS units that are common. That's not to say it's not good or that Garmin isn't a big company with GPS experience.

https://content.u-blox.com/sites/def...V23_Online.pdf
Old 06-14-2022, 03:55 PM
02996tt
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve I met you at the Glen last month I was in the black 996 turbo parked with the other 996's. I love the garmin. I have it set up out of the way but still get glimpses of red/green. I don't look at lap times while driving but the real time feedback is helpful. I don't find it distracting at all and highly recommend it.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Glad your not letting Bruce down. Based on the much longer cold and hot boot, mounting requirements, and feedback from users, I would say it's not as strong as other GPS units that are common.
Bruce is a big boy and can make his own decisions.

The Garmin has replaced customer “other make” systems multiple times over due to ease of use. Almost never the reverse move.

As the chief fanboy for one of the other makes, that must be what gets your goat and why you feel the need to gaslight and bash.

The problem is that you don’t sell them, use them or coach from them, so if I were you, I’d stick to what you know.

I tried, Bruce…
Old 06-14-2022, 09:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Bruce is a big boy and can make his own decisions.

The Garmin has replaced customer “other make” systems multiple times over due to ease of use. Almost never the reverse move.

As the chief fanboy for one of the other makes, that must be what gets your goat and why you feel the need to gaslight and bash.

The problem is that you don’t sell them, use them or coach from them, so if I were you, I’d stick to what you know.

I tried, Bruce…
I have a Catalyst direct from Garmin. You'll notice that I never said it was a bad unit or didn't work. The Catalyst is a great tool for lots of people, just like Apex Pro is, AiM is, MoTeC is, Bosch is, and so on.

You completely missed my reference to Bruce.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:09 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by 02996tt
Steve I met you at the Glen last month I was in the black 996 turbo parked with the other 996's. I love the garmin. I have it set up out of the way but still get glimpses of red/green. I don't look at lap times while driving but the real time feedback is helpful. I don't find it distracting at all and highly recommend it.
Aye, I remember talking to you. Across the paddock from me. Thanks for your endorsement of the Garmin. I've got to pull the trigger quick since the Garmin discount expires June 16.

Cheers. Hope to see you again. I'm at Pitt Race in two weeks.

Steve
Old 06-15-2022, 06:21 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Funny you asked about that. It would not pair with my apple air pods, my beats ear buds, or my car radio. It would pair with my phone but did not recognize any other device. I went to the gas station and bought a wired pair for $10 which worked but the cord was always in the way of the shifter.
Following up on this, you can get a trac-com chaser that plugs into your helmet comms (if you have them) and connects via bluetooth to the Catalyst.

I may or may not have been listening to a podcast with this setup in my living room testing it out earlier today...
ProCoach (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 06:28 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 543 Likes on 287 Posts

Funny you asked about that. It would not pair with my apple air pods, my beats ear buds, or my car radio. It would pair with my phone but did not recognize any other device. I went to the gas station and bought a wired pair for $10 which worked but the cord was always in the way of the shifter.
We've had a few people have issues connecting their airpods to their Garmin. couple things (and I don't have airpods myself I'm just going by what they told me)
- If you're iphone is close by and 'on', the airpods will automatically connect to it and override anything else you do....they're 'helping'.... ;-) They can't be connected to both the iphone AND the Garmin at the same time and will always default to the iphone. So you need to turn your phone off or put it far away...and if you get them close together again, they will reconnect and not connect to the Garmin.
- One guy told me you have to push some button on the airpods themselves to make them open and accept connection to a new device...again out of bluetooth range from the iphone. (again, I don't have airpods so I don't know how they work).

All were eventually able to get them connected.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-15-2022, 06:41 PM
02996tt
Instructor

Thanks for the advice I will try one more time and if I am not successful I will probably just by some speakers for the helmet that I can use with the catalyst and instructors with the communicators
Locker537 (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 09:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
We've had a few people have issues connecting their airpods to their Garmin. couple things (and I don't have airpods myself I'm just going by what they told me)
- If you're iphone is close by and 'on', the airpods will automatically connect to it and override anything else you do....they're 'helping'.... ;-) They can't be connected to both the iphone AND the Garmin at the same time and will always default to the iphone. So you need to turn your phone off or put it far away...and if you get them close together again, they will reconnect and not connect to the Garmin.
- One guy told me you have to push some button on the airpods themselves to make them open and accept connection to a new device...again out of bluetooth range from the iphone. (again, I don't have airpods so I don't know how they work).

All were eventually able to get them connected.
Its pretty cool. You don’t need an iPhone nearby or paired to make the Garmin work with the AirPods. Just put them fully charged into their case and press the button on the case. Might need to do it more than once but works well. Not evident from the instructions for the AiPods.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Locker537
Following up on this, you can get a trac-com chaser that plugs into your helmet comms (if you have them) and connects via bluetooth to the Catalyst.

I may or may not have been listening to a podcast with this setup in my living room testing it out earlier today...
The Track-Com Chaser is superb, and the best solution for integrated helmet comms with the Garmin. NaroEscape May stock them. Call Bob or Nadine.
Locker537 (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 03:51 PM
02996tt
Instructor

I was able to get the airpods to pair. If anyone has issues just hold the button on the back down longer than you think and then keep holding it and when you want to stop because you think it's not working just keep holding.
ProCoach (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 08:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I was able to get the airpods to pair. If anyone has issues just hold the button on the back down longer than you think and then keep holding it and when you want to stop because you think it's not working just keep holding.
Bingo
Old 08-22-2022, 11:09 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

I have had my Catalyst for over a year now but was using it for post driving analysis and video. Yesterday I used the real-time AI voice functionality for the first time. Wow, it is freaky how helpful and actionable the feedback was. I trimmed 6 seconds off of my best time in just one session (on a 2:30 track).
The following 2 users liked this post by sonorous:
Hdizzle (08-26-2022), ProCoach (08-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Garmin Catalyst