Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Garmin Catalyst (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1304853-garmin-catalyst.html)

02996tt 06-08-2022 07:39 AM

Garmin Catalyst

I just purchased a Garmin Catalyst and I have a DE this weekend at Palmer. I am installing it in a 2002 911 Turbo. I plan on installing the remote camera behind the rearview mirror and the main unit on the passenger side of the windshield. Any suggestions for locations and getting started would be appreciated.
Thanks
Todd

sonorous 06-08-2022 09:41 AM

Congrats on the Garmin and your upcoming Palmer event. It's such a fun track.

First, I'd recommend reading through this long thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-coaching.html It has a lot of information about usage and mounting.

One of the great things about the Garmin is how easy it is to mount and move between vehicles. My wife and I share ours and often move it to arrive and drive vehicles. It is really easy to mount once you have done it a couple times. It is nice to have in direct view but not necessary. If you will have an instructor I'd recommend to mount it far right on the passenger side. This is how I usually set it up for my wife. She does not want to look at it or know her time while driving. She only wants the post session review data. Here is a typical location for my wife. She has the instructor hit start for her.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ca16ebd53a.jpg

I personally do like to see my time while driving so I prefer a central mounting. Here is a typical mounting for me in a rental Miata (at Palmer too). The camera should be as centered as possible but does not need to be perfect. It does need to be level and calibrated but that is done with the unit at setup. I typically tuck the camera wires in the headliner and A-pillar or zip tie it to the roll cage and run it around the windshield to the main unit.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...312b5ce8bc.jpg

For power you can use a 12V outlet, hardwire it, or just use a USB power bank (like for phone charging). That is what I do when I put it in a racecar.

If you don't have an instructor, the Garmin has great real-time audio coaching features. You can pair it will Bluetooth earbuds or integrate it with helmet electronics. There is more discussion of those options in the previous thread.

Have fun!

Veloce Raptor 06-08-2022 10:01 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4d44d5ff7.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...463688eb8.jpeg

ProCoach 06-08-2022 10:11 AM

Without the benefit of a Catalyst…

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 18186241)

ProCoach 06-08-2022 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 02996tt (Post 18186071)
I just purchased a Garmin Catalyst and I have a DE this weekend at Palmer. I am installing it in a 2002 911 Turbo. I plan on installing the remote camera behind the rearview mirror and the main unit on the passenger side of the windshield. Any suggestions for locations and getting started would be appreciated.
Thanks
Todd

@sonorous gave good advice. I prefer a center mounting for the tablet for feedback and operation when seated in the drivers seat (confirmation, start and stop recording). The top third of the tablet should be above the dash cover and under the vertical plane of the windshield glass outline, GPS antenna needs that.

Camera mounting is super important and good advice there too. Forward of the rear view mirror and as high and centrally mounted as possible.

These devices are very sensitive to current supply, so use the supplied cig lighter power transformer (2.2A) into the center console or passenger side footwell outlet. Build up the OD with tape if it’s loose.

Two ways to get benefit. Equally valuable is the real-time audio feedback and the post session analysis.

Make sure to enable “Advanced Race Coaching” under audio options in set up. Then pair to BT AirPods, the vehicles PCM or some other audio solution. Even 3.5mm hard wire extension cord to foam earbuds works ok.

Post session analysis is prioritized according to potential improvement. Basically supplies what, where, when and why you went faster than you did USUALLY, which allows you to find and focus on your demonstrated areas of exceptional performance.

Veloce Raptor 06-08-2022 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Haha truth!

LuigiVampa 06-08-2022 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 18186254)

Are you saying the Garmin Catalyst can un-douchefy Ferrari drivers? What kind of black magic programmers do they employee at Garmin to cure that?

Does the Catalyst work on Mustang drivers as well?

I was instructing at LRP on Monday and at the end of the day my student said he had a Catalyst. I asked where it was and he said he thought I wouldn't allow it so he never hooked it up. Not only would I have been fine with it I would have appreciated seeing him use it as a sign that he is taking his driving progression seriously! He knows better for next time.

NaroEscape 06-08-2022 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 18186884)
I was instructing at LRP on Monday and at the end of the day my student said he had a Catalyst. I asked where it was and he said he thought I wouldn't allow it so he never hooked it up. Not only would I have been fine with it I would have appreciated seeing him use it as a sign that he is taking his driving progression seriously! He knows better for next time.

Many instructors do not want their drivers to have data systems in their car while they are riding right seat. Primarily, they don't want to end up arguing with the student about "well, the Garmin said this and you said that". or "well, what you told me just got me a slower lap time" when what you're working on is getting the driver smooth first, not to set lap records. We run into that a lot while we're at the track selling this stuff.

As a right seat instructor, it does take a different approach when having some sort of data system in the car when you're trying to instruct.

Matt Lane 06-08-2022 08:52 PM

Yup, it is really dependent on the situation. I instructed with one of the local clubs in May, and it was somewhat painful. Not a disaster or unsafe, but a long day. Student had spent tons of time and money wrenching his older project M3 to be 'ready' for his 1st ever track event. Multiple attempts to cure failing axles, new big brake kit, lowering springs, short shift kit, 2 sets of tires ready for the day... it was a long one.

Yeah, all for data, but in context. This was not the day :)

Our local PCA doesn't permit 'timing' visible in the car at speed and I'm OK with that. Truthfully, there is nothing that a novice/early intermediate student will get from data that a good instructor can't provide immediately (and urgently), and then again in the pits during debrief.

Cheers

Matt

ProCoach 06-08-2022 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Lane (Post 18187609)
Yup, it is really dependent on the situation.

Yeah, all for data, but in context. This was not the day :)

Our local PCA doesn't permit 'timing' visible in the car at speed and I'm OK with that.

Truthfully, there is nothing that a novice/early intermediate student will get from data that a good instructor can't provide immediately (and urgently), and then again in the pits during debrief.

Cheers

Matt

Not, it doesn’t “depend,” in my experience. Novices probably don’t need this stuff. But beyond this, anyone can benefit.

Most of the issues stated are because many instructors are not aware of “how data works” and blow it off or their regions prevent it’s use, which is short-sighted.

If a driver has a data system in the car, both the driver and the instructor can use the system to validate what is happening.

Need I remind folks that Porsche SportsChromo, BMW M-App, SRT data and GM Performance PDR are already in many of these cars???

DON’T USE THE LAP TIMING DISPLAY.

DO USE THE PREDICTIVE LAP TIMING DISPLAY.

The latter will tell you, the instructor, an objective measure on whether what your asking the driver to do is WORKING. Or not.

It’s all about constructing the RIGHT expectations. Bob alluded to this, but these are tools, just like anything else.

OF COURSE, lap timing is of little use in early days. In my opinion and experience, it’s too gross a measure to tell ANYTHING about a driver’s smoothness, skills or execution of those skills, in ANY detail, AT ALL.

Instructors who are not at least familiar with (or able to use specific features to reinforce their instruction by) these tools by now are not keeping up, let alone getting ahead of what is going on.

There is no substitute for right seat instruction early on, although plenty of people progress beyond.

Key is to use all the tools at your disposal to help instructors or coaches (or drivers) to coach themselves more effectively.

LuigiVampa 06-08-2022 09:23 PM

Lap timers and video is up to the discretion of the instructor with our region. I will generally allow it so long as it does not prove a distraction.

I've only had to tell one student no more video because I felt like he was being overly aggressive to get some "YouTube moments" and was no longer learning.

ProCoach 06-08-2022 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 18187655)
Lap timers and video is up to the discretion of the instructor with our region. I will generally allow it so long as it does not prove a distraction.

I've only had to tell one student no more video because I felt like he was being overly aggressive to get some "YouTube moments" and was no longer learning.

Good advice, period.

If it's a distraction or prioritized higher than the advice or choices made to influence a "number," then it is not contributing to learning.

jmimac351 06-08-2022 09:34 PM

I don't recall getting into a debate with a student pointing to their data about why something I was asking them to do was wrong. I have experienced, MANY times, that something I ask the student do is confirmed by them via a visceral feeling of being "right". I also don't mind a student having data running in the car, but I'm also very mindful of whether they are paying more attention to that vs what I'm asking them to do. On that note and after a lot of observations of "events", I would say that the much bigger issue is whether any particular driver allows their lap timer to take control of their steering wheel. In classroom sessions, I'll often ask who has a lap timer... and I caution them about allowing it to push them into bad judgment by chasing that time. This hobby attracts many type A people... and people need to coach themselves about keeping that under check. Are type A people good about coaching themselves back from the edge? I have observed several instances, unfortunately, where chasing a lap time among friends leads to offs / wrecks - even among very experienced, competent drivers. That timer can help build confidence in students; however, like anything else on track, judgement is very important - and good judgement usually requires experience...and an instructor.

I'll add that one issue I've seen the with Catalyst, from a right seat standpoint, is mounting toward the right side of the car, because of size. I've seen it hanging from the right side of the windshield down in front of the dash installed airbag. If it's like that, I make that go away and into the glove box. I don't want a Garmin logo on my forehead with an airbag deployment.

ProCoach 06-08-2022 09:40 PM

I think an instructor, an in-car one, can best determine whether the student is capable of good judgment.

I hear MUCH more banter concerning "lap times" from advanced solo and instructors than novice and instructed intermediates.

As a matter of fact, I don't remember being queried about lap times by students early in their learning ladder, data present or not.

It's the upper middle that is the most dangerous. Chasing times without having mastered the fundamentals.

Reach not equaling their grasp, or something like that.

Do instructors and region CI's KNOW that the lap time function can be turned completely OFF in the Garmin Catalyst?

I thought not...

jmimac351 06-08-2022 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 18187684)

I hear MUCH more banter concerning "lap times" from advanced solo and instructors than novice and instructed intermediates.

I have seen this many times... especially if the car is shared / driven among several drivers. The topic always comes up... usually only if the time is considered good, of course. :)