"safest" and "least safe" tracks for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 10:32 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,348 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
I hadn’t heard of Mark’s accident til Matt posted about it, but I found an interview with him and it sounds pretty bad. He must’ve hit the grove of trees at pit in?

Yep, those are the ones.

Mark was lapping traffic, splitting two cars coming up to the finish and the car on his right touched Mark in the right rear with their left front.

This sent Mark off on a pretty severe cross angle, way off track and into the trees, where the car split in half and caught fire. He was not able to get out on his own and was in the fire for some time. Thank God, he survived and is recovering.

This type of accident has hurt/killed more than a few drivers and instructors (I think of CMP and that HyperDrive at the Jefferson Circuit a few years ago).

Certainly, track safety has improved, but fatalities at Lime Rock, Road Atlanta and at the Glen from drivers “pancaking” the side of their cars against guardrail or walls close to the track edge are also more common than one might think.

It’s not a pleasant subject. It is a dangerous sport. Be careful out there…
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
So glad Mark’s on the mend.

Do you mean to fix it, tracks need guardrail and barriers in front of trees or they need to cut down trees, entirely?

That’s a tall order for smaller, club tracks. That said, it might have saved the instructor at CMP.
They need barriers or protection in front of trees. There are a few tracks I don't drive at because when I see where I'm pushing and have potential to go off big, I can see the tree that I'm going to collect on my way off track. A tree isn't a safe barrier IMHO.

Everyone has their own risk tolerance. I don't mind walls and I'm the odd guy that at Watkins Glen, the only wall I ever notice is the outside of T3 as I transition to the apex. For the rest of the track, if you are looking in the right place, the walls don't matter.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yep, those are the ones.

Mark was lapping traffic, splitting two cars coming up to the finish and the car on his right touched Mark in the right rear with their left front.

This sent Mark off on a pretty severe cross angle, way off track and into the trees, where the car split in half and caught fire. He was not able to get out on his own and was in the fire for some time. Thank God, he survived and is recovering.

This type of accident has hurt/killed more than a few drivers and instructors (I think of CMP and that HyperDrive at the Jefferson Circuit a few years ago).

Certainly, track safety has improved, but fatalities at Lime Rock, Road Atlanta and at the Glen from drivers “pancaking” the side of their cars against guardrail or walls close to the track edge are also more common than one might think.

It’s not a pleasant subject. It is a dangerous sport. Be careful out there…
If you are going to tell Mark's story, it should be clear of what happened and in his words. - he was knocked out in the wreck and was pulled out by other drivers. The story is here https://rockthecurb.com/2021/11/mark...BuO6r8bJU8Jp_k

I'm not claiming to know all of the accidents that resulted in death at every track, but the majority of them that I know of started with a cardiac event, not an on track accident. Peel the onion.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

NJMP Lightning has been in successful, insured operation for twelve-plus years.

Even the insurance companies don’t mandate the removal of all trees.

VIR cut back the treeline drivers left exit of South Bend (Turn 10) over 150 feet after Paul Gentilozzi’s accident practicing for Trans Am almost twenty years ago. People still hit and occasionally turn over on the tire wall in front of the treeline there.

You and I will have to disagree. Walls, trees, buildings, even tire bundles and TecPro are all hard stops, no matter where you look.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:12 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you are going to tell Mark's story, it should be clear of what happened and in his words. - he was knocked out in the wreck and was pulled out by other drivers. The story is here https://rockthecurb.com/2021/11/mark...BuO6r8bJU8Jp_k

I'm not claiming to know all of the accidents that resulted in death at every track, but the majority of them that I know of started with a cardiac event, not an on track accident. Peel the onion.
Good info in that article about safety equipment and systems.
The following 2 users liked this post by okie981:
Matt Romanowski (12-04-2021), ProCoach (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:22 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

NJMP Lightning has been in successful, insured operation for twelve-plus years.

You and I will have to disagree. Walls, trees, buildings, even tire bundles and TecPro are all hard stops, no matter where you look.
A tree is a very different thing to hit than a wall. Walls are different than tires, soft walls, and TecPro. There are big difference in the deceleration of a tree (point load), wall, or softer (tire, softwall, TecPro, etc) and how the car is folded up. In the end, everyone gets to pick their risk tolerance and drive where they want.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

One of the best ways to enhance one’s ability to assess risk is to go racing. That expands and enhances knowledge in how better to assess risk, and make better, more informed decisions, in my experience.

In the end, it’s not a thread on a discussion board or an individual’s assessment of acceptable circuit safety that counts.

It’s the decision of the insurance underwriter of the track itself and, as you point out, a personal decision on not only whether to drive that track but also what level of intensity and risk management you practice while on the circuit in question.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:22 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 101 Posts

I don’t have anything but anecdotal data, but having attended twelve to thirty DE’s a year for the last couple decades, the incident rate at most tracks appears up, substantially in the last two years. Does not seem to be track specific.

How much do you think incidents are related to horsepower? 1984 911 was 200hp and today 400hp. More power means faster and more force to dissipate in crashes more runoff needed to slow a car down.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:41 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
How much do you think incidents are related to horsepower? 1984 911 was 200hp and today 400hp. More power means faster and more force to dissipate in crashes more runoff needed to slow a car down.
Balanced out by much better car crash construction. I have seen some pretty bad hits in the newer street cars where the driver opens the door and walks away.

Peter
Old 12-05-2021, 07:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,569 Likes on 2,594 Posts

They physical safety of a track in terms of runoffs, barriers, etc. will tend to be better at tracks used for higher-end pro racing.

However, the perception of safety by drivers also influences safety. If a track appears to be safe (e.g., lots of runoff), drivers tend to push harder and take more risk, sometimes finding themselves in barriers they didn't know were there. Conversely, if a track has a reputation for being unsafe, based on lesser runoff and more visibility of barriers, drivers will tend to 'take less chances' and therefore less likelihood of hitting something.

The event organizer also has a big influence on driver behavior, and therefore safety.

I'm willing to go to just about any track, other than Dominion in VA.
The following users liked this post:
paradocs98 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 09:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Modern cars leave the paved surface a lot quicker, hence carry more force further into whatever they’re going to hit.

Bottom line is with the lesser powered cars, people had a lot more time to get out of trouble.

I think there was a benefit to “analog” cars as learning environments, as well.

I don’t think crashing, especially in an HPDE environment, is inevitable. Period.
The following 6 users liked this post by ProCoach:
daaa nope (12-13-2021), Dre01SS (12-07-2021), JTT (12-06-2021), Matt Romanowski (12-05-2021), Mike Roblin (12-06-2021), stownsen914 (12-05-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-05-2021, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Modern cars leave the paved surface a lot quicker, hence carry more force further into whatever they’re going to hit.

Bottom line is with the lesser powered cars, people had a lot more time to get out of trouble.

I think there was a benefit to “analog” cars as learning environments, as well.

I don’t think crashing, especially in an HPDE environment, is inevitable. Period.
+1 to your entire post
Old 12-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 240 Posts

Let’s add Sonoma Raceway to the “not recommended” tracks: lots of concrete walls and several turns that are very unforgiven.
the best beginner track in the West is Thunderhill 3 mile IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
PiB993 (12-25-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 12:58 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 108 Posts

Based on experience from this past weekend, I would caution those driving at Autoclub Speedway in SoCal. The track uses the infield road course along with about half of the Nascar oval. The transition from flat ground to the banking is quite abrupt at high speed which could cause loss of control, and allowing just anyone to get their cars up to such high speeds on a banked race track just feet from the barriers is a recipe for disaster. Years ago I recall them using at least one chicane on the straight to keep speeds down.
Entering a high speed turn at 155 mph and then sustaining ~120 mph gives one lots of time to think what would happen if a tire blows or anything in the suspension fails.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 152 Posts

"I don’t think crashing, especially in an HPDE environment, is inevitable. Period."

Agree 100% people have to get out of the mindset that crashing during DE is ok. This is DE unless there's a major mechanical issue its just NOT ok to crash.

For those that feel they only know they are on the limit if they exceed it and go off. Well this is just not true .

I think the organization's have to re approach the way they look at this in there programs and take notice as to the amount of crashes and realize something has to change. Club instructors have to realize that its never ok that there student crashed while he or she was being instructed. It also has to be noted if the so called instructor is crashing there own car is this really the instructor you want teaching others????

By the way just so everyone know 95% of the accidents are driver error of the basic fundamentals. 80% of the accidents are intermediate - advanced/instructors level - so if this is whose crashing and they are doing it by screwing up the basic fundamentals then what is that saying ???

Sorry I am just very passionate about the sport and its not good for the entry point into the sport have soo many incidents . It seems that since COVID drivers have gotten worse both on and off track - I call it Driving in a COVID Fog
The following 6 users liked this post by Steve113:
ANGST (12-06-2021), Dre01SS (12-07-2021), LuigiVampa (12-06-2021), M13S (12-06-2021), Matt Romanowski (12-06-2021), ProCoach (12-06-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: "safest" and "least safe" tracks for HPDE