Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlisters at Summit Point Oct. 23/24 PCA Potomac DE ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 11:15 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Originally Posted by amurph182
Dammit, looks like I missed a great weekend. I blame dgrobs, car is in the shop getting roll bar, seats and harnesses installed because he wouldn’t leave me alone all year about safety equipment.
The day will come when you will thank me for getting on your a$$ about safety in the car.
I hope that day never comes, but eventually, as you get smoother and you get faster and you get better, that day will come.
Unfortunately, it will come. It doesn't have to be your fault. Matter of fact, it probably won't be your fault, but it's going to come.
When it does, you can thank me then.
Until that day, let the money you spend on this new safety equipment be the worst investment you ever make....
Old 11-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
The day will come when you will thank me for getting on your a$$ about safety in the car.
I hope that day never comes, but eventually, as you get smoother and you get faster and you get better, that day will come.
Unfortunately, it will come. It doesn't have to be your fault. Matter of fact, it probably won't be your fault, but it's going to come.
When it does, you can thank me then.
Until that day, let the money you spend on this new safety equipment be the worst investment you ever make....
That day won't necessarily come, but the safety gear should be based on the assumption that it will come. On average, there's a crash about every 150 to 250 track days, so the odds of going way over 100 days without a crash are low, and some people have crashed with a lot less than 100 days, whereas others have gone longer without crashing (I'm at around 240 days, no crash yet, but have had a couple scary moments).

A driver can greatly reduce their chance/rate of crashing by working on their driving and making sure the car is properly set up and inspected and maintained, but some crashes result from factors outside a driver's control, such as fluids dumped by other cars (as happened at this event).

Fortunately, the likelihood of serious injury or death resulting from a crash at the track is very low (partly due to safety equipment), but it can and does sometimes happen (I know one instructor who was killed, and another who was so badly injured that he probably wishes he was killed). This is inherently a risky sport (which is part of the reason we do it), and we should do what we can to reduce the risks - we want the exhilaration, not bad outcomes.

Last edited by Manifold; 11-02-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:52 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Take it from me safety matters
Hit someone's oil at 132mph....on my right side tires only.
3 roll overs...doors and roof are fine and never touched the ground..
man I miss that car..
But am thankful to still be in this sport.

Last edited by Der ABT; 11-02-2021 at 10:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (11-03-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Take it from me safety matters
Hit someone's oil at 132mph....on my right side tires only.
3 roll overs...doors and roof are fine and never touched the ground..
man I miss that car..
But am thankful to still be in this sport.
Exactly!!!

I as well lived to drive another day. I owe my life to my safety equipment. Car was a 100% total. Claim paid. Car was replaced because cars can be replaced. People, not so much.
Yes indeed, safety matters.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (11-03-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 02:49 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 108 Posts

Anyone know if there are / will be any "on track" photos of this event ?

Quick Reply: Rennlisters at Summit Point Oct. 23/24 PCA Potomac DE ?