Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlisters at Summit Point Oct. 23/24 PCA Potomac DE ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 04:36 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony42hat
I think teleporting is his thing now. He did it to me at Pitt and has done it a few times at Summit, absolutely stupid how fast that thing is...makes cup cars look like slugs. I wish I was going to be there this weekend but I lost my motor at Porschefest and just found a replacement last week. Y'all have fun.
Well dangit Anthony, I thought you were back in the saddle by now! I guess I can keep the Japanese Whiskey safe at home this weekend. Any chance you're doing VIR with Audi Nov 6-7?

-KJ
Old 10-20-2021, 04:37 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Any chance you're doing VIR with Audi Nov 6-7?

-KJ
If he does, make sure his hood pins are engaged......
Old 10-21-2021, 08:57 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yikes ...

Jay, what are your lap times at SP in that thing? And most importantly, are you having fun?
I’m still learning how to drive the car, it is a handful, and it doesn’t like 7/10’s. I’ve been on Summit one weekend, was running 1:15’s steady with a few 1:14’s on scrub tires and no trail braking (working the brake has been the biggest challenge, it moves about 1/4” and takes 300 to 400 pounds to engage it… then your eyeballs pop out!). Smooth brake release has been my recent training regiment. As of now I have 9 track days in the car.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:41 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,327 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I’m still learning how to drive the car, it is a handful, and it doesn’t like 7/10’s. I’ve been on Summit one weekend, was running 1:15’s steady with a few 1:14’s on scrub tires and no trail braking (working the brake has been the biggest challenge, it moves about 1/4” and takes 300 to 400 pounds to engage it… then your eyeballs pop out!). Smooth brake release has been my recent training regiment. As of now I have 9 track days in the car.
Sounds like it should be able to run with a 991 cup once you get the hang of it. Real question: while it may be a handful, is it fun?

The only remotely comparable car I ever drove was a 996 cup, and I was too slow to get the measure of the car. My dream car is a 991 cup, and a former student once offered me the chance to drive his at WG, but I bowed out because I didn't want to have to write a big check if I put it in a wall. I probably should have driven it, even if slow.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:27 AM
69911s
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Run with a 991 cup? At 200 pounds lighter and nearly 100 more horsepower I would hope he could.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:33 AM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Well dangit Anthony, I thought you were back in the saddle by now! I guess I can keep the Japanese Whiskey safe at home this weekend. Any chance you're doing VIR with Audi Nov 6-7?

-KJ
Hey KJ! Just been tough finding a good motor. I have one now but just got it last weekend so no way we were going to get it buttoned up for Summit. I'll be in North Dakota killing ducks during the Audi event. I'll have my eyes peeled for something after I'm back to try to do a shake down. Have fun this weekend and I'll miss getting to hang out.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:36 AM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
If he does, make sure his hood pins are engaged......
i'm just going to run with no hood, one less thing to worry about....
Old 10-24-2021, 09:18 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

That was an awesome event . I had a ton of fun , learned some stuff .. oh and most importantly was safe.

Good meeting some of you in person . Especially thanks to @Jabs1542 for the checkout ride this morning so I could get out of green

I also think I borrowed a torque wrench form you to change my paddock neighbor’s brake pads .

Old 10-24-2021, 09:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that was fun. I'll take the cool weather any time over hot summer. I was surprised to find myself in a mood to drive 'aggressively' (can't say that while you're a Safety Chair!), and was happy with my pace, even on the crappy street tires. 991.1 GT3 is a helluva car, still impresses me six years after getting it (though it's on its third engine, second transmission).

Jay's car seemed to get faster over the weekend - too fast for DE, but what a sight to see!

Last edited by Manifold; 10-24-2021 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Patrick3000 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 10:46 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ANGST
That was an awesome event . I had a ton of fun , learned some stuff .. oh and most importantly was safe.

Good meeting some of you in person . Especially thanks to @Jabs1542 for the checkout ride this morning so I could get out of green

I also think I borrowed a torque wrench form you to change my paddock neighbor’s brake pads .
I think I was paddocked near you guys. I was close to Jabs' car so I think we may have been paddocked near each other.

I think you had a different instructor for 1 session when you moved into Blue (congrats on that by the way).

I think it was the session right after you got moved into Blue but your assigned instructor got hung up with a different student due to your schedule change when you moved into Blue.

How was that instructor who was in your right seat that session? He looked familiar. Did he help you at all? I know it's kinda tough for an instructor to jump out of his students car and into another students car to help the original instructor out.

I think you then got your original instructor back. Is that what happened?

Anyway, how did that guy who instructed you for that first session in Blue work out?

Did he help you at all?
Old 10-25-2021, 10:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 69911s
Run with a 991 cup? At 200 pounds lighter and nearly 100 more horsepower I would hope he could.
You're right. That car is a beast.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:24 PM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 60 Posts

Good meeting you - congrats on your promotion to blue! Are you rolling down to VIR with the rest of us?
ANGST (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 02:48 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I think I was paddocked near you guys. I was close to Jabs' car so I think we may have been paddocked near each other.

I think you then got your original instructor back. Is that what happened?

Anyway, how did that guy who instructed you for that first session in Blue work out?

Did he help you at all?
Yes, I think it was difficult for an instructor to jump in. He did start telling me ( showing me ) a completely different line around SPM than I am used to . He was focusing on me apexing later , and more the "racing line" as I was doing the "DE line" We were going through 6,7,8,9 in a completely new way for me . When Jay did my checkout ride he said I was doing that really well , then to have someone jump in my car and show me differently was a little, well, different. He explained what we were doing in the debrief , so it made sense. We also worked on sooner on the throttle in 10 , I really liked how I was doing 10 after that.

Then my original instructor's (Bill M) blue student cracked a rotor , so he was available to ride with me in the next blue session .

In monitoring my tire pressures I was starting out at 32 and ending around 36 in green. When I did my bluck check out I came into the paddock at around 42 and that wasn't even the full session .

I do wish I started the event in Blue , but I understand they want to make sure .

Last edited by ANGST; 10-25-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:52 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mr.t0fu
Good meeting you - congrats on your promotion to blue! Are you rolling down to VIR with the rest of us?
That would be fun , but I think I am done for the season , putting the car back into "street mode" this week .
Old 10-25-2021, 03:06 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Yes, I think it was difficult for an instructor to jump in. He did start telling me ( showing me ) a completely different line around SPM than I am used to . He was focusing on me apexing later , and more the "racing line" as I was doing the "DE line" We were going through 6,7,8,9 in a completely new way for me . When Jay did my checkout ride he said I was doing that really well , then to have someone jump in my car and show me differently was a little, well, different. He explained what we were doing in the debrief , so it made sense. We also worked on sooner on the throttle in 10 , I really liked how I was doing 10 after that.

Then my original instructor's (Bill M) blue student cracked a rotor , so he was available to ride with me in the next blue session .

In monitoring my tire pressures I was starting out at 32 and ending around 36 in green. When I did my bluck check out I came into the paddock at around 42 and that wasn't even the full session .

I do wish I started the event in Blue , but I understand they want to make sure .
You are a blue driver for sure. Ask me how I know that.....

IIRC, your pressures were 41/43 up front and your rears were 42/43 when we came in after your first blue run.

You were carrying much more speed in blue than you were in green, and I recognized that right away. That's why I showed you a line that might have been a little more "aggressive" than you were used to.

The key to that line is being smooth at turn in, apexing later, and smoothly opening your hands as you rollback to throttle MUCH sooner coming out of a corner. Remember, slow in fast out.

Jays line is fine as well. He knows what he's talking about and he has more laps at that track than anybody I know.

It was very tough for me to shift gears jumping out of your car (with very little debrief time) and jumping into my students car without him losing any track time. He has to be priority 1 for me. I apologize for that. That debrief, as long as it may take, is key for the student. Circumstances were what they were.

You def belong in Blue. You are coachable and eager to learn. Get more seat time and get more instruction. You have the tools. Seat time seat time seat time.

Pleasure being in your right seat. I'd gladly instruct you anytime as long as it's for a whole event. Nice meeting you.....lol.
ANGST (10-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Rennlisters at Summit Point Oct. 23/24 PCA Potomac DE ?