Sponsored by:

Toyo RA1 or Kumho Victoracer

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:42 PM
eugene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo RA1 or Kumho Victoracer

For street and track days. Should they be shaved ?

Ultimate grip is not a priority. Which tire (Toyo vs Kumho) is a better choice

Thank you for your input.

Eugene.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:55 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a big VictorRacer fan... my experince they don;t last long and can fade even in a 20 minute DE session.... that said, I didn;t shave them.... maybe shaving will help.... so take that on advisement....but if it were me, I'd try something else first.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Toyo RA1 or Kumho Victoracer

Originally posted by eugene
For street and track days. Should they be shaved ?

Ultimate grip is not a priority. Which tire (Toyo vs Kumho) is a better choice

Thank you for your input.

Eugene.
For a 944 Run Toyo's Unshaved. Unshaved toyo's are probably ok on the street. New Kumho's are as well. Once used Kumho's don't have the tread for the street.

Toyo's also last 2 or 3 times as long as Kumho's. This is from my experiece racing an DE multiple sets on my 944-spec car.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:13 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with M;

Toyo RA1s represent arguably the best dollar value in an R-tire that is available. I bought a used set and ran them for three years. I could not wear them out, and they still stick better than a street tire even if they are cycled to death.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure why you're planning to run a track tire on the street. In my experience this is a bad idea unless you're just talking about driving to and from the track. With that said, I find the Toyo RA-1's far superior to the Kumho Victoracers in almost every respect. Since ultimate grip isn't a priority, and since you're planning on running on the street you should leave the Toyos unshaved. That way you'll have the flexibility to run in wet weather.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

From the track guys I've spoken to and from what I've read here, RA-1's are the better choice if you're comparing them to the Victoracers.

I prefer the MPSC's over both.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:53 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto Jim C... generally full "R" spec track tires s**k on the street... very stiff sidewalls will hammer you and the car... track compounds are designed to work hot... doubt you will ever get them up to temp on the street (and if you ever do you should probably be arrested....just kidding)... in cold weather they can be downright trecherous.

Other than a trip to the track (if you can't talk a friend into taking your tires up for you), get a second set of wheels and put good street tires on your nice wheels.

If money is an issue, you can get sound but shabby Fuchs for about $400-500 a set.... track can be cosmetically hard on wheels....these are great for track use.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:55 PM
BierGut
5th Gear

I don't know about trecherous, but if it's anything like treacherous, I might say that's a little strong wording for the Toyo RA-1 and cold weather. I am aware of a number of Northeast drivers who have been having great luck with the Toyo RA-1 tire both on and off the track this Spring, and it's been anything but warm. They seem to be very happy using them as low mileage, duel purpose tire.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:00 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bier... a genralization... haven't driven RA-1, but I've used Yoko A008-R (yes, I'm that old), Bridgestone RE-71R, Goodrich R-1, and Hoosiers and found the experience wanting greatly... I was getting some nasty brake lock-up in cold weather at normal driving speeds.... plus I got absolutely stuck in about half an inch of snow and a cute soccer mom in a Volvo had to push me... talk about humiliating.....

RA-1 may have a better compound...
Old 04-14-2004, 06:31 PM
BierGut
5th Gear

... More about the cute soccer mom ......
Old 04-16-2004, 07:25 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yoko makes a decent "2-way" R compound tire - not bad tires for the money (tires.com currently has a sale).
Old 04-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Al P.
Pro

Hi Gene,

Strange question from you, what's up?

No, my turbo is still not done but the race car is just about finished for Rennsport

best
Old 04-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Ted Drake
Advanced

For street driving and rain racing I would suggest the Toyo RA 1. It has a deeper tread pattern than the Victoracers.

I have used both tires at the track. Though not at the same track so I am not sure if these tires can run the same lap times. I have feeling the Victoracers may be a little quicker.

I would say the RA 1 will last longer. So even though it cost more than the VR it may be a better value. If everyone was running the RA 1 in competition that would be great...but when lap times are important I might stay with the VR.

Can anyone say how much quicker the Victoracers are than the RA 1?
Old 04-18-2004, 11:21 AM
eugene
Racer

Hello Al.

The tires are for my GF's 89 C4.

I had bought a set of Yoko 032R for her which is in need of replacement.
(old age and very worn)

Wanted something better (relatively better grip than the 032R) and also O.K. for some street miles, including back and forth to the track. (She has a separate set of wheels/tires for the street)

My personal experience have mostly been with Hoosier, Goodyear GSCS and Pirelli slicks and had no experience with Kumho and Toyo R tires.

Ordered a set of RA1's. Thank you very much everyone for your input and suggestions.

Al, Enjoy your trip to the Reunion at Daytona,and have a good racing season.

Eugene
Old 04-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Ted Drake
Can anyone say how much quicker the Victoracers are than the RA 1?
Yes. Not much. In my experience the Victoracers are only about .5 seconds faster than a shaved RA-1, and only for their first few heat cycles.

Quick Reply: Toyo RA1 or Kumho Victoracer