Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting radical or rather a Radical - SR3 XX - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:08 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,178 Likes on 583 Posts
Default Getting radical or rather a Radical - SR3 XX - any advice?

I'm about to take a plunge and sign up for Radical Canada West Cup. I'm planning to get SR3 XX. I know many here tracked/raced Radicals, so looking for any advice on buying and driving. Some immediate questions:
- central seat or two seats? I'm leaning to two seats, for more coaching options. Or no?
- double or triple-adjustable dampers? On the one hand, triple sounds like an upgrade, but on the other, I want to fiddle less and drive more, even if it means leaving a tenth or two on the table.

I'm going to do arrive and drive with the car stored and maintained by the shop that runs the series.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:35 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on deciding to get an SR3! You are going to really enjoy it. The center seat cars have become very popular with people that only plan to use the car by themselves. However many people prefer the 2 seats for coaching and giving rides. I personally like the flexibility of a second seat but it is really an individual choice depending on how you plan to use the car. Regarding the shocks... the triple adjustable shocks can make a minor lap time improvement if you are very fast and know how to dial them in to changing track conditions. For most people they get set once and don’t get touched again.

have you had a chance to check out the Radical Sportscar Registry website? You will likely find it helpful as you get up to speed on your new car. Also if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I can give you my contact information
Old 02-11-2021, 12:07 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'm about to take a plunge and sign up for Radical Canada West Cup. I'm planning to get SR3 XX. I know many here tracked/raced Radicals, so looking for any advice on buying and driving. Some immediate questions:
- central seat or two seats? I'm leaning to two seats, for more coaching options. Or no?
- double or triple-adjustable dampers? On the one hand, triple sounds like an upgrade, but on the other, I want to fiddle less and drive more, even if it means leaving a tenth or two on the table.

I'm going to do arrive and drive with the car stored and maintained by the shop that runs the series.
If you plan to race, go with a single seat. Being centered is an advantage and it is hard to find coaches who would even be willing to ride with you in an open car. If you are serious about developing yourself as a driver, the data that the AIM PDM/logger that the car comes with coupled with video, will allow any coach to provide you with the same or better feedback as being in the car. Go with the double adjustable shocks - take the price difference and invest in a few additional sensors for your datalogger to allow for better coaching (specifically I'd add steering angle, I assume it has brake pressure, but if not, an absolute must have).

I bought a Stohr sports racer last year after graduating from a Formula Ford - there is nothing like open cockpit cars and you'll love the Radical. I am looking forward to trying to have some opportunites to get up to A27 this year.

Good luck!
Mark
Old 02-11-2021, 12:51 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I went thru many of the same questions. I had been driving a full Cayman race car for last several years. I did a Radical SR3 ride&drive at COTA in Oct, put my GT car for sell the very next week. I had been searching and watching the Radical market, both new and used cars along with availability. I ended up ordering a new SR3XX in late Oct, it is presently on the boat shipping over here, expected to arrive end of Feb.

With regard to following:
  • Seats: in my heart, I wanted center seat for comfort and safety. But, I also know of a few great coaches willing to sit for a coaching ride. Plus, I dont race, but do have a few friends/family that want to ride occasionally, so I ordered Left Hand Drive two seat.
  • Shocks: I dont really want to mess with adjustments either, but I wanted ability to and resell of Intrax triple dampers, so I got them
The following users liked this post:
DHI (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Mark, the AiM PDM/wheel combo is unique to the SR10, although AiM has been standard on the cars as long as the Life ECU has been on the SR3, back to 2012-2013. It’s all good.

Any competent coach will be able to use the AiM systems provided in Radicals for the last eight or nine years with no issue, and the power of the MXL2 dash used in the 2015 and newer cars, along with the SmartyCam HD GP, will be able to leverage all the same power as the SR10 system with the PDM32 and the Radical specific FSW.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-11-2021, 08:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Congrats. These are decisions best answered by the shop who is supporting your car in the series. I will say that it’s easy to tune yourself out of a comfortable car with triples, if you’re not careful. Doubles are plenty, IMO.
MaxLTV (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:34 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Correction, is available on new SR3XX, not unique to SR10.

ProCoach (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Raider89
Correction, is available on new SR3XX, not unique to SR10.
Sweet. Thank you! Will head over to Wisko across the street from my office at VIR and find out more.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:56 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider89
I went thru many of the same questions. I had been driving a full Cayman race car for last several years. I did a Radical SR3 ride&drive at COTA in Oct, put my GT car for sell the very next week. I had been searching and watching the Radical market, both new and used cars along with availability. I ended up ordering a new SR3XX in late Oct, it is presently on the boat shipping over here, expected to arrive end of Feb.

With regard to following:
  • Seats: in my heart, I wanted center seat for comfort and safety. But, I also know of a few great coaches willing to sit for a coaching ride. Plus, I dont race, but do have a few friends/family that want to ride occasionally, so I ordered Left Hand Drive two seat.
  • Shocks: I dont really want to mess with adjustments either, but I wanted ability to and resell of Intrax triple dampers, so I got them
Interesting - I've been debating this for a while now. Got rid of my Spec Miata, trying to decide what is next with the primary track being COTA. It seems like an SR3 is ideal, with downside being running in HPDE with larger vehicles.

What was your thought process?

I think dealership is with Esses now? Likely a larger class developing?
Old 02-11-2021, 09:26 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

It's done.

Two seats and two-way dampers. All video and data add-ons except laser ride height sensors. All race add-ons (fuel cell, fire suppression etc.) except air jacks.

The first race is in two months, which should be is enough time to prepare. A "small wrinkle" is that the track will be covered with snow almost up to that date, so in-car practice will have to be compressed in time, to put it mildly. I guess I'll have to re-define "winning" as "not doing any damage or getting kicked out" for the first few races at least.

The following 6 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
911therapy (02-12-2021), 924RACR (02-12-2021), CharleyH (02-11-2021), daylorb (02-11-2021), ProCoach (02-11-2021), thebishman (02-12-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2021, 10:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Congrats!
MaxLTV (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 10:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 876 Likes on 542 Posts

Sweat rig! You are going to have a ton of fun. If you have any AiM problems or need help, let me know. I haven't worked on the SR3 XX yet, but have a lot of PDMs in the field and have worked with them a lot.
MaxLTV (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 11:59 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It's done.

Two seats and two-way dampers. All video and data add-ons except laser ride height sensors. All race add-ons (fuel cell, fire suppression etc.) except air jacks.

The first race is in two months, which should be is enough time to prepare. A "small wrinkle" is that the track will be covered with snow almost up to that date, so in-car practice will have to be compressed in time, to put it mildly. I guess I'll have to re-define "winning" as "not doing any damage or getting kicked out" for the first few races at least.
Congratulations on the new car! What chassis number is it? Also what engine size did you get? It would be great to add your car to the Radical Sportscar Registry.

Charley
Old 02-12-2021, 12:51 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Congratulations on the new car! What chassis number is it? Also what engine size did you get? It would be great to add your car to the Radical Sportscar Registry.

Charley
Thanks! It's 01279. I got 1.3L because that's what the series races.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:14 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice, welcome to the fun of prototypes!!

Liking the graphics too... enjoy it!!

Quick Reply: Getting radical or rather a Radical - SR3 XX - any advice?