Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 876 Likes on 542 Posts
Default Instructor Curriculum Handbook

I am cutting and pasting because Chuck Hawkes said this better than I could. From his FB post:
I can finally tal
k about this openly 'cause it's GO TIME!
I have been privileged and fortunate enough to be a part of an Industry Game Changing project this year!
It's called The HPDE Curriculum Guide: What to Teach in High Performance Driver Education - a book that is THE definitive guide on exactly what the sub-title says: what to teach in high-performance driver education!
This is a book that will be offered for FREE in electronic format and only $14.99 in print on Amazon. If you're involved in any way making HPDEs happen, this book is for YOU!
For the short & to-the-point version, go here:
http://instructorsummit.com/curriculum-guide and here:
https://event.webinarjam.com/channel/MSFWebinar
Now for the more "Chuck" version you're used to...
I was honored to be a contributor and Editor on the project with HPDE Classroom Mastermind Chuck Tucker . All in all, we had 10 (TEN!!) contributors from all roles in the HPDE and performance driving industry. Literally some of the best brainpower in the game.
It all started at last year's Instructor Summit main Expo in Indy and the Instructor Summit is a key part of the book's release and on-going project support. You know if Eric Meyer and Instructor Summit are involved, it's got to be good!
And, no the intention is not to put everyone in the industry on the same program. We understand there are different needs for every player. Instead, The Guide provides a solid foundation of standards to use in improving an existing program, or even building a new one from scratch - and make them the best they can be, whatever their goals.
We're having an Introduction & Launch Webinar on February 9th at 9PM (Eastern) / 6PM Pacific time. No registration needed! Just go here to join the party: https://event.webinarjam.com/channel/MSFWebinar
We're also going deep into the guide in another webinar on 2/21. Again, no registration needed; just go here: =AT2Aa5EPAc2lXS-UxGaIPsRWzxK6a7E6HZWv1LphsCeBJYnTo0q8tyUH3e3cn4Vnh-tMPIsl0Tk-F6Bs3554-JQ7E-cGuibmq0ZjDOgG9J7i4aYtS6DuhScd_3D50i4K1CC3O1s9lwFKqszyHpQuEfLoEwGVgOP7m_ 0STTLSNTwdMM6ozQU9Pc2v]https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83782224453
To find out more and on download your copy (d/l's available 2/9+):
=AT2Aa5EPAc2lXS-UxGaIPsRWzxK6a7E6HZWv1LphsCeBJYnTo0q8tyUH3e3cn4Vnh-tMPIsl0Tk-F6Bs3554-JQ7E-cGuibmq0ZjDOgG9J7i4aYtS6DuhScd_3D50i4K1CC3O1s9lwFKqszyHpQuEfLoEwGVgOP7m_ 0STTLSNTwdMM6ozQU9Pc2v]http://instructorsummit.com/curriculum-guide
This is going to be BIG! And even better, it's FREE!!
Well, OK it's $15 if you want the printed version (we ain't makin' any $ here folks) This is about getting the information that clubs and events have been struggling to get in one place in, well... ONE PLACE! Come join us on the 9th and learn more.
If you're wondering if this is just another one of those club attempts at doing a one-off, NO - this is a YEAR of hard work in the making and it will be a "living document," revised over time as new best practices, etc. are identified.
As it is now, we sneaked a copy to some serious people in the field to get their feedback and WHOA!
Just check out what they had to say:
"There is not a doubt in my mind, the information contained in The HPDE Curriculum Guide will be a Rosetta Stone for HPDE organizations, from new to well established." - Andy Pilgrim
"THE Guide is useful for every group, from the most seasoned to the freshest. It's a must read for any organizer or instructor." - Matt Romanowski
"The HPDE Curriculum Guide provides everything an organization needs to revolutionize the experience and education for their drivers. This is an amazing framework to work from that truly puts the students learning outcomes first!" - Andrew Rains
"I am truly amazed that you and your team were able to wrestle chaos into 220 learning outcomes, and tell it in a way that clarifies rather than obfuscates. Outstanding job." - Evan Evan Alexander Weaver
“The concepts in the HPDE Curriculum Guide are the same concepts I use when coaching my pro driver clients. They are THE fundamentals. I highly recommend this guide to any HPDE instructor looking to deliver high performance results to their students.” - Shea Holbrook Chorley
TRUST ME, YOU WANT THIS!!
And don't be bashful - feel free to SHARE!
I've seen the The Guide and think it is absolutely fantastic. It has applicability to organizers, coaches, instructors, and classroom teachers. I am really impressed with what they put together and how it's presented. It's not a recipe or must follow, but rather a great guide and possible idea generator for the already great programs that are out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
mrbill_fl (02-15-2021), ProCoach (02-04-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 07:59 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 815 Posts

Link to DL guide appears to be broken.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:35 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm not sure what happened but let's try this link https://instructorsummit.com/curriculum-guide
Old 02-05-2021, 09:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,747 Posts

It will be released February 9th, according to Chuck
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-05-2021, 10:15 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, download on the 9th, buy a print version on Amazon on the 8th, lots of supporting info in the webinars linked above. The Guide is really great and was a tremendous amount of work to put together. I think people will really like it - I know I loved it (I have a copy for review).
Old 02-05-2021, 01:43 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Matt, while we wait for the link to go hot, here's a question:

The PCA national curriculum is straight out the the FAA instructor's handbook, and focuses more generically on how students learn, and therefore best practices as instructors, There's almost nothing specific to cars and race tracks. (I didn't really recognize this until I taught the curriculum myself. It's does an excellent job about coaching in general but little about cars.)

Does the Summit document focus on the how humans learn, or automobile and event specific how to direct students' hands, feet, or eyes when this, that or the other happens?

Last edited by mhm993; 02-05-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mhm993
Matt, while we wait for the link to go hot, here's a question:

The PCA national curriculum is straight out the the FAA instructor's handbook, and focuses more generically on how students learn, and therefore best practices as instructors, There's almost nothing specific to cars and race tracks. (I didn't really recognize this until I taught the curriculum myself. It's does an excellent job about coaching in general but little about cars.)

Does the Summit document focus on the how humans learn, or automobile and event specific how to direct students' hands, feet, or eyes when this, that or the other happens?
Great question. No. This is much more a guide of a programs curriculum and ways to teach, but not the actual specific process. It has info on curriculum, goals, protocols,and some more specific track skills. It does not attempt to give you how people learn or how to teach everything in the car. It does things in a different approach that anywhere else I've seen, so I think it will be really refreshing and helpful.

If you register, you can see yesterday's presentation at https://community.hagerty.com/t5/mot...9ke1z3ZaBc#M19

If you want some more, check out https://community.hagerty.com/t5/mot...9ke1z3ZaBc#M19
Old 02-10-2021, 10:08 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As an update, the guide is available here https://tinyurl.com/msfinstructorguide

I really encourage everyone to download this and check it out. The ideas of this were started sitting around after the Instructor Summit in Indy one year ago. The guys who worked on this really did a great job and I think everyone will be have some take aways and ways they can improve their own instructing and organizations. It's really a great guide.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

Thank you for providing info on the "The HPDE Curriculum Guide". Up to this point, my go-to reference manuals have been "Going Faster!", which is basically the old Skip Barber Racing School curriculum, and "Speed Secrets" by Ross Bentley. I look forward to referencing "The HPDE Curriculum Guide" too.

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 02-16-2021 at 12:11 PM. Reason: I received the HPDE Curriculum Guide over the weekend.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

"Going Faster" and the "Speed Secrets" series are the best at foundational, fundamental skill explanation and reference, in my experience.

This Guide is a great amalgamation of a lot of folks who operate and deliver this information in HPDE settings around the country.

The guide presents tested, proven methodologies and best practices that can help club programs committed to continuous improvement.

I enjoyed the presentation of the Guide by the team principals last night on the MSReg webinar. Maybe Matt has the link. Will see if I can find it.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:50 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Scott Elkins said it takes him a day or two to get the recording up for viewing later. They had a solid attendance last night to preview the guide, but I would not say it was critical material for reading or understanding the guide. It was a lot of background and other related stuff. Grab The Guide download and take a read. It's not a one sitting deal, so start checking it out sooner than tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
"Going Faster" and the "Speed Secrets" series are the best at foundational, fundamental skill explanation and reference, in my experience.

This Guide is a great amalgamation of a lot of folks who operate and deliver this information in HPDE settings around the country.

The guide presents tested, proven methodologies and best practices that can help club programs committed to continuous improvement.

I enjoyed the presentation of the Guide by the team principals last night on the MSReg webinar. Maybe Matt has the link. Will see if I can find it.
I like when you use big words like "amalgamation" and "methodologies". Always learning from you Peter.

Gonna order it now. Thanks for posting it up Matt.

And thanks Peter for the vocabulary lesson....
Old 02-10-2021, 02:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Scott Elkins said it takes him a day or two to get the recording up for viewing later. They had a solid attendance last night to preview the guide, but I would not say it was critical material for reading or understanding the guide. It was a lot of background and other related stuff. Grab The Guide download and take a read. It's not a one sitting deal, so start checking it out sooner than tomorrow.
Yes, Scot (one "t") does a nice job. It IS nice to hear from (and about) the people who put it together. Adds context...
Old 02-10-2021, 02:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, Scot (one "t") does a nice job. It IS nice to hear from (and about) the people who put it together. Adds context...
Giving the background info is perforce in adding context and validity to anything. The team is really great. You missed some great conversation after the Instructor Summit last year.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Already enjoying the guide and want to know more? Check out a USER DIVE into The HPDE Curriculum Guide on Sunday, Feb 21 from 6:00 - 7:15 pm ET. This is Free Zoom webinar. No registration required.

Zoom Webinar link for Sunday, Feb 21st at 6 PM ET

There is no webinar registration required and we will send out a short invite reminder a few days prior to the event.

We are looking for contributors and best practice ideas to improve this Guide. Please don’t hesitate to reach out and drop an e-mail w your thoughts or comments to chuck@instructorsummit.com

We hope you join us on Sunday, Feb 21st!

Eric

Eric Meyer, Instructor Summit
InstructorSummit.com

Quick Reply: Instructor Curriculum Handbook