Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:26 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

CC, you recently posted data that has never before been logged in professional open wheel motorsports, and something I printed and discussed with many of the racecar engineers at work, your data plots of tire warming vs. lat or long acceleration. We all really thought it was interesting and sparked a debate with the discussion of warming brakes and how one technique warms tread surface and the other warms sidewall and carcass. We all got a kick out of it.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go again.

Don't let the door hit ya where the dog should have bit ya.

Don't you have to maximize GSum on your subwoofer or something?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
CC, you recently posted data that has never before been logged in professional open wheel motorsports, and something I printed and discussed with many of the racecar engineers at work, your data plots of tire warming vs. lat or long acceleration.
Chris
Are you suggesting that no open wheel pro teams have analyzed weaving re: tire temps? It seems like such an elementary task w/real world benefits, especially for even a moderately funded F1, CART, IRL, etc. team. Indeed, years ago IIRC there was an F1 TV side piece to the effect that weaving could maintain, but not meaningfully increase tire temps based on hard test data. Surely in mid race, with the safety car out, those F1 boys aren't haphazardly scrubbing off rubber out of boredom.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:41 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was discused this year during a F1 race. They talked about the fact that weaving does little but gas and brake will. They went on to say that weaving is good to grind off the tire marbles that will build up while driving at pace lap speeds but if you want to put heat in or keep it there you need to stop and go. Stop and go is harder to do while in a line behind a pace car so racers do what they can, weave.

It is interesting to see the data show what you butt feels.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Chris
Are you suggesting that no open wheel pro teams have analyzed weaving re: tire temps? It seems like such an elementary task w/real world benefits, especially for even a moderately funded F1, CART, IRL, etc. team. Indeed, years ago IIRC there was an F1 TV side piece to the effect that weaving could maintain, but not meaningfully increase tire temps based on hard test data. Surely in mid race, with the safety car out, those F1 boys aren't haphazardly scrubbing off rubber out of boredom.
A long time ago, Penske fitted a car with IR tire temp measuring equipment for a super speedway tire test. Back in the days when we had a tire war. This was in efforts to determine front tire temps mid corner for Goodyear. Yes, Goodyear once was involved in open wheel racing

Since then, I have never heard of any team monitoring real time tire temps. I guess getting tires up to temp is taken for granted as this is one of the drivers duties, much like quicker in and out laps. A team will give a driver the best possible car for Sunday afternoon. Once the green flag drops, the driver takes it from there

Another reason for weaving vs. the more effective accel-decel activity is that this helps a nervous driver gain a feel for the car and to burn off the butterflies in the stomach. Something to help with their timing and sync., if you will.

ALL drivers have butterflies on warm-up pace laps. They are lying if they say they dont...
Old 10-21-2005, 11:30 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chris walrod
ALL drivers have butterflies on warm-up pace laps. They are lying if they say they dont...
Nothing else like it. I don't consider myself an adrenaline junky, but I must admit few things in life compare to those breif moments leading up to a race.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Not that I can imagine anyone cares, but this is so very true. The rush from a competive activity is intoxicating, and addictive. The trick for me has been to channel the energy into a productive direction. Repeated 60 mph 360s on a snow-packed Interstate highway in a blizzard are not productive uses of this energy, but it can be fun.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:52 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Being the only level headed guy on this board ( ), I'll feel the need to add my $.02. Each of us plays at this in a free country, on a free forum representing a free exchange of ideas. All of this, IMO, should be held sacred. One thing to bear in mind is that in this venue unless you transgress the rules, you can not and will not be silenced. Humilated, debased, perhaps, but our individual right to speak, whether foolishly or with infinite wisdom lies in each of our own hands to exercise as we see fit.

I personally owe CC for a debt of kindness related to him sending me some fomulae, including the infamous G-Sum for my DAS. While I'm not a G-Summer, I still appreciated this kindness. Equally, Sunday was very helpful to me when I was contemplating the setup of my car this spring and I was very glad to see him return to these pages. Call me a hippy commie pinko idealist, but I 'd like to think we're all friends and comrades in arms on this board. We might have knockdown drag out disagreements, but at the end of the day, its my hope that we can all remain so.

Tim, while its true that you worship at the altar of a different God from many here, I, for one, would hope that you will not excommuncate yourself. Yes, the G-Sum debate does seem to degenerate into flame wars with you being the primary target as the result of holding, at least from the majority perspective of this board, a radical minority opinion, but I'd ask you to recalll that in the last week or so you equally received much praise for your thread on tire scrubbing. Diversity of thought is strength, not something to be feared. If you do choose to avoid these pages in future, I truly wish you the best of luck and hope you find the best path to your own enlightenment.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey RJ -
You're a hippy commie pinko idealist!!

Cheers!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:47 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack667
Hey RJ -
You're a hippy commie pinko idealist!!

Cheers!
Absolutely! How else could I be friends with a turncoat "Jack"-booted fascist like yourself!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:15 AM
78SC
Instructor

I would have to agree with RJay. I followed a post CC dealing with, of all things, DAS. As it turns out I have the same DAS system that CC uses. I asked about some formulas he referenced in a post and he emailed them to me within the hour. I have not figured out how to apply them yet but I appreciate the quick response. Would be a shame to see CC leave the board as he been helpful to me while also making for threads that I have enjoyed following.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I didn't mean to imply that I disagreed with RJay, I just wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to call him a "hippy commie pinko idealist"

Now, back to this rivoting thread...
Old 10-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Quote by RJay Yes, the G-Sum debate does seem to degenerate into flame wars with you being the primary target as the result of holding, at least from the majority perspective of this board, a radical minority opinion, but I'd ask you to recalll that in the last week or so you equally received much praise for your thread on tire scrubbing.

I could not agree less. The reason CC is the primary target of the flaming war is because he annoys the crap out of everyone that does not agree with him. If you offer any challenge to CC's contention, you are of low character. That's always a reliable way to start the flaming.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:59 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
Quote by RJay I could not agree less. The reason CC is the primary target of the flaming war is because he annoys the crap out of everyone that does not agree with him.
Hmmm...
So, while I've found some of CC's comments childish and his style combative at times, it is an overstatement, at least by one, to say "everyone" is annoyed, as I'm not, just occasionally embarassed. I've been called an ******* many times in my life. Often, I get very pissed, occasionally, I'd just laugh about it. I always feel better when I do the latter.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

RJay,

Point taken. So perhaps not "everyone" is annoyed by his inability to carry on a civil debate without CC making an issue of someone's character. My point is that the flaming is a result of his childish comments and combative style, not his dearly held belief in G-Sum analysis.

Quick Reply: Adios