Burning Brakes

http://www.yodelers.com/happytrails.htm
Old 08-17-2004 | 06:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Even being called an idiot and a liar, I hold no grudge towards you. I dont demand apologies because we all get emotional and irrational at times. Yes it wasn't appreciated and was uncalled for as I was just adding my .02, but we all forgive and forget.

Dont go away, I feel you do have positive things to add to this community. This is a great forum, with great people for the common good. Hang around 'other' forums and you'll see what I mean by this..
Old 08-17-2004 | 11:22 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Chris W:
Your claim of a simple error on your part by meaning something other than what you wrote (using a stopwatch when you never meant using a stopwatch but in fact using segment times generated by the DAS) is at best a very poor post on your part and a overreaction on my part. Considering you have yet to explain how you analyze driver performance (beyond the level of segment times), I am waiting to see if you can explain it in any other way than using g-sum (or some other form of g analysis). If you do, I will definitely apologize. If you do not, I will stand by my statement and you are 1 of the 2 choices (or some combination of both) I listed. I hope you offer an explanation so that I can learn.
Old 08-17-2004 | 11:23 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Jim: Are you serious? I just can't tell here anymore. Also, I am not advocating my approach for anyone else. Just out of curiosity, what do you hope to learn?
Old 08-18-2004 | 01:17 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Jim: Are you serious? I just can't tell here anymore. Also, I am not advocating my approach for anyone else. Just out of curiosity, what do you hope to learn?
Sure. I never get tired of watching track videos. I'm interested in learning how quickly you achieve your goals of low 1:30's at Gingerman (or similar times at other tracks) without taking full advantage of instructors. I suspect your method will take quite a bit longer, but it will be very interesting if you prove us all wrong.
Old 08-18-2004 | 01:56 AM
Geo
Race Director

Chris W:
Your claim of a simple error on your part by meaning something other than what you wrote (using a stopwatch when you never meant using a stopwatch but in fact using segment times generated by the DAS) is at best a very poor post on your part and a overreaction on my part. Considering you have yet to explain how you analyze driver performance (beyond the level of segment times), I am waiting to see if you can explain it in any other way than using g-sum (or some other form of g analysis). If you do, I will definitely apologize. If you do not, I will stand by my statement and you are 1 of the 2 choices (or some combination of both) I listed. I hope you offer an explanation so that I can learn.
Wow. What an arrogant person you are.

G-sum? In a professional environment? No way. I told you what my friend said about FC plots. Well, I didn't tell you all of it. He said (very similar to what Chris said) that teams expect a professional driver to be professional and be on the friction circle. They only might consider something like that if they thought the driver had his head firmly up his ***.

He further went on to say that what teams use is plots along with track position, usually comparing either the driver to his/her teammate or to other plots and compare one with another. They are looking for time. Usually sector times and what one driver is doing vs the other or a driver vs another session. So, as Chris explained, it's the "stopwatch."

Chris, do you perhaps know the name Doug Gerard? He's my buddy. He wrote most of the current software for CDS and now works for Roehrig Engineering with shock dynos and 7 post shaker rigs. Doug has clients in every major race series in the world from F1 on down.
Old 08-18-2004 | 02:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geo
Chris, do you perhaps know the name Doug Gerard? He's my buddy. He wrote most of the current software for CDS and now works for Roehrig Engineering with shock dynos and 7 post shaker rigs. Doug has clients in every major race series in the world from F1 on down.
George, no I dont know Doug, sorry to say. We have used the Ohlins 7 post shaker in North Carolina, but have not hear of Doug. Our shock dyno is made and supported by SPA in the Indy area, so no luck knowing the good folks at Roehrig..
Old 08-18-2004 | 09:59 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

"Considering you have yet to explain how you analyze driver performance (beyond the level of segment times), I am waiting to see if you can explain it in any other way than using g-sum (or some other form of g analysis). If you do, I will definitely apologize. If you do not, I will stand by my statement and you are 1 of the 2 choices (or some combination of both) I listed. I hope you offer an explanation so that I can learn."

CC: Call me crazy, but at the last race I ran (Rennsport Reunion II) the results were determined by TIMES.

You can spend all the money you want on DAS and other electronic gizmos, and HP upgrades for your car, but the bottom line is that they way to get faster on a track is instruction and seat time. If you don't think the PCA instructors are good enough to teach you properly, then go to Skippy School. To relate this to golf, Tiger Woods is the best player in the world, yet even he has a coach/instructor, and he practices. I read an article about him where one of the people at Nike who designs their golf clubs said Tiger has unbelievable feel.

I really think that Chris W (since he works on a race team) knows a little more about this stuff than you do (10 tracks days or whatever). Calling others "idiots, liars, morons" because they have opinions that differ with yours is bad form.
Old 08-18-2004 | 10:45 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

...If you do not, I will stand by my statement and you are 1 of the 2 choices (or some combination of both) I listed.
What we are presented with here is a classic "false dilemma". Anyone old enough to construct an argument beyond the "did...didn't...did...didn't" stage knows that this is basic hooey that is used by the uneducated or the pathologically dishonest, when they're losing ground on their position. For those of us with a basic education in logic and rhetoric, the 'false dilemma' is out of bounds. For those who are either jack-booted thugs or just spectacularly stupid, it is a useful tool.

Please see: http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/distract/fd.htm

So...was is used because the poster was trying to be a bully, or was he just too stupid to understand how to craft a debate ?
Old 08-18-2004 | 11:41 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

In one of my military units we had a squadron saying that went: " Nothing you say is too cruel...as long as it is funny!" Reading back over the thread I don't think I would have taken too much offense at what has been written. Everyone has an opinion and you are still free to do things any way you see fit!

Remember...pretty soon it will be someone elses turn in the barrel!

Hang around and contibute.... if you get everyone else thinking, it can do nothing but benifit all of us!!
Old 08-18-2004 | 03:23 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Don't go. Every day that I peruse this board I look for your posts. You are amusing at the least and informative at best. Just like anything else in life, I listen, think, then filter out the useless info and keep the useful.

Keep it lively!

Quick Reply: Adios