Sponsored by:

Tire Pyrometer - any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 12:56 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tire Pyrometer - any suggestions

I want to increase my level of sophistication at track events. We are installing a video/data aq system in one of our cars. I like to purchase a few more tools to dial in set of car and a tire pyrometer comes to mind. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Phil
Old 06-03-2020, 11:51 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

Longacre Tire Pyrometer is the model but the sensor is a temp probe inserted into the tire surface. To get accurate and meaningful tire temp data, requires taking the temperatures in the pits and then taking tire pressures in the pits. So, you need a pit person to take the readings.

The suspension setup and driver inputs and cold tire pressures are all factors influencing the data. Depending on your car and your mechanical skills, the minimum adjust is to set cold tire pressures based on tire temperatures. The maximum adjustment is to adjust suspension, camber and toe, and cold tire pressures based on tire temperatures at the track.
Or, use the data for adjusting suspension at the shop.

Tire temperatures can also help to adjust compression and rebound on shock settings if adjustable.

If you are a new driver, tire temperatures are not helpful because you driving inputs are giving "false" inputs to tire temperatures. Stick with tire pressure cold vs hot and feel to make initial cold tire pressures
Old 06-03-2020, 01:19 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Some guys have tire temp sensors hooked to their data system
You might want to look into that since you're installing a data system
Old 06-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

If you are putting in a data system, seriously consider the upgrade to include IR sensors. It removes the need for anyone to help, gives better data, and you can see what the car is doing in the corners without influence of the straights or cooling.

If you want a pyrometer and have a good helper, I suggest the larger memory units that record three measurements per tire. Those make the tracking and viewing of everything much easier. If you have variable helpers, get a regular single reading pyrometer and good luck.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I use a Longacre probe and usually take the temps myself after getting the tires hot and going into the hot pits. I just check the Left side. Seems to work. You must be driving hard enough to get reasonable temp into the tires like 180 degrees.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:15 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Thanks, I would probably be the the pit guy taking the data with my older son doing the driving. I understand the value of being able to have real time data but for now will probably buy a pyrometer with data storage capability. I've gotten pretty good at getting tire pressures set correctly but would like to peel the next layer of the onion. My focus has been to get my kids behind the wheel as much as possible and wanted them to focus on driving and did not want to get too distracted with video data etc. They've both developed in to good solid drivers so it's time start adding more information to mix.
Phil
Old 06-03-2020, 05:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Thanks, I would probably be the the pit guy taking the data with my older son doing the driving. I understand the value of being able to have real time data but for now will probably buy a pyrometer with data storage capability. I've gotten pretty good at getting tire pressures set correctly but would like to peel the next layer of the onion. My focus has been to get my kids behind the wheel as much as possible and wanted them to focus on driving and did not want to get too distracted with video data etc. They've both developed in to good solid drivers so it's time start adding more information to mix.
Phil
lucky kids!
Old 06-03-2020, 06:14 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Lucky Dad too
The following 2 users liked this post by pu911rsr:
Frank 993 C4S (06-03-2020), Paul Solk (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a Prisma and love it, once you get it all set up with burst mode it is great... I wish you could download the data too but that's not available yet.
https://www.prismaelectronics.com/en...n-needle-probe
Old 06-04-2020, 05:02 PM
kiwiflavored
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I share a Joe's pyrometer and it does the job. Yea, it would be nice to be able to save all the numbers but those are almost double the price it seems
Old 06-05-2020, 11:16 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

At the track this weekend and talked this through with a race shop on-site. I'll get both cars professionally corner balanced and aligned - we'll grab some temp profiles after cars are correctly aligned and we can dial things in from there. I appreciate everyone weighing in.

Phil
Old 06-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Poster: Thinking about buying a pyrometer, any recommendations?

Rennlist: Yes buy a complete data acquisition system with 3 infrared sensors on each tire.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:02 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Any good affordable IR systems? Don't rocks and tire turds destroy the sensors? Im surprised how turds can stick hard on things and rocks just beat the heck out of stuff
Old 06-07-2020, 07:53 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cory M

Rennlist: Yes buy a complete data acquisition system with 3 infrared sensors on each tire.

Rennlist squared - hire the guy that sets up Mercedes F1 chassis -
Old 06-07-2020, 08:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M

1 each tire shooting 16 channels. 3 spots per tire is simply not enough.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Any good affordable IR systems? Don't rocks and tire turds destroy the sensors? Im surprised how turds can stick hard on things and rocks just beat the heck out of stuff
No. I've had the same ones on my car for over 5 years and they are fine.

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Rennlist squared - hire the guy that sets up Mercedes F1 chassis -
The Mercedes guy is tied up, but that doesn't really matter. You want Manny from Pirelli. He designs the tire and knows more

Quick Reply: Tire Pyrometer - any suggestions