Sponsored by:

Questions on roll-bar, seats, harnesses - DAS Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Questions on roll-bar, seats, harnesses - DAS Sport

I attended my first DE last Fall and needless to say, I’m hooked.

My plan is to improve the safety and performance of my car with a roll-bar or cage, seats, harnesses, and HANS device. My car is a 1979 911 SC, and has a long history of being used for DE. Currently, I’ve picked out:
  1. Seats - Cobra Suzuka GT
  2. Harnesses - Schroth Flexi 2x2
  3. HANS - SHR Flex
I’ve sat in the seats and they fit me well. Any feedback on the above choices?

I am still undecided on the roll-bar / cage. I would prefer an option that can be removed and not require removing the original carpet and sound deadening material. I can see myself upgrading to a more modern platform and want to leave my options flexible. I know this is a compromise.

The only “truly bolt-in” option I have found is the DAS Sport 4-point roll-bar. I’ve spoken with PCA instructors who use this bar, and they like it for the reasons I mention. It bolts into the OE threaded seat belt locations which are structural.

Are there other, better options than the DAS Sport?

Thank you!
Old 12-30-2019, 01:59 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Lots of us have or had a DAS rollbar. Assuming it fits an SC the same as it fit my 993, its a little fiddly to install but should accomplish what you want just fine.
The “ bolt in” cages like the Safety Devices brand require modification, so they’re really not bolt in, as opposed to the das rollbar which is plug and play.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Thanks Marc. That's what I've heard about Safety Devices and AGI as well. They bolt in, but will require modification and reinforcement of the floor.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

DAS bar is really nice.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Locker537 (12-30-2019), Tom@TPC Racing (03-21-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 02:46 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a top of the line OG Racing bolt in cage that is in two pieces along with door bars.You can easily remove the front section when you drive on the street
and reinstall it when you go to the track for DE's or whatever.
It was professionally repainted with black polyurethane paint and is much better than a DAS or Stable Energies unit ...

I had it in my 89 911 sunroof Coupe when is was doing DE's with PCA and i have no use for it anymore.I listed it on and off on Pelican
in the classifieds , let me know if you're interested.

Cheers
Phil
Old 12-31-2019, 03:30 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Recently installed this DAS rollbar. Installation was little more time consuming than I anticipated, but final result was good. The bars had to be pushed over with a bottle jack to get bolted in. There are now holes in the carpet for the bolts, but carpet is still there.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:50 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

The latest Schroth FIA dated belts start shipping the first of the year so you'll get a full 5+ years use out of them. Let us know if we can help with your seat & SHR Flex setup as well!

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 12-31-2019, 07:50 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 696 Likes on 347 Posts

We have the Cobra Suzuka GT and Schroth Enduro belts in our race car and love them...and consequently sell a lot of each of them. We use HANS but do sell a lot of the Schroth Flex. Good quality. Can’t go wrong with any of your choices.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Thank you everyone for the confirmations regarding the path I'm on!

Everything has been ordered! Now comes the hard part of waiting for it all to come in.

With the six point harnesses, what is the recommended way to attach the two sub straps to the car?

Driver's side of my car currently has four eyebolts through the floor. One for either lap belt, and two for the two sub straps. However, passenger side only has three eyebolts, which would indicate a setup for 5-point harnesses. Both floor pans show some dents from the harnesses pulling on the reinforced eyebolt areas.

I'm considering a sub-strap mount from Brey-Krause. Any personal experience or recommendations here?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:18 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Why not get a seat with a halo (or removable halo) if you are going this far? IMO neck injury is the scariest safety concern with HPDE and a HANS does a 20% job of protecting you in that arena, why not cover the other 80%?

Curious as I am looking at the same path.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Why not get a seat with a halo (or removable halo) if you are going this far? IMO neck injury is the scariest safety concern with HPDE and a HANS does a 20% job of protecting you in that arena, why not cover the other 80%?

Curious as I am looking at the same path.
The car in question is still driven on the street, and driven to and from events. A halo tends to obscure visibility. The seats in question can also still be used with 3-point belts.

I can see a dedicated track car in my future with a proper full-cage, seats with halo, etc, but not yet!
Old 01-13-2020, 01:33 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a street driven dedicated track car that has a halo seat. The only visibility issues I have is that you have to lean forward a little to check your blind spots, with that I would still highly recommend a halo as I feel the pluses outweigh the negative. As Olemiss suggested, check out the Sparco Ergo that has removable halo wings, they come in 2 sizes I believe. My 3-point belts work fine with the halo seat when on the street.

Sub bars can be a real pain sometimes when it comes to mounting the seat on sliders and can hinder the mounting height and angle of the seat. I have a BK one on my passenger seat and it definitely kept me from the angle i wanted and they dont always place the anchor point of the sub-belt far back enough under you. Since you already have some eyebolts and I assume your not opposed to putting another one in your floor, that's the easiest route in my opinion.

Last edited by BFT3.2; 01-13-2020 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Hm, two votes for a halo. Go figure it's a couple days after I ordered the seats.

I'm not planning on running sliders, so I don't know how that will impact the use of different anchors for the sub-straps. I'm also not really sure how to address that til I have the belts and components on hand and can experiment.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:05 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
I have a street driven dedicated track car that has a halo seat. The only visibility issues I have is that you have to lean forward a little to check your blind spots, with that I would still highly recommend a halo as I feel the pluses outweigh the negative. As Olemiss suggested, check out the Sparco Ergo that has removable halo wings, they come in 2 sizes I believe. My 3-point belts work fine with the halo seat when on the street.

Sub bars can be a real pain sometimes when it comes to mounting the seat on sliders and can hinder the mounting height and angle of the seat. I have a BK one on my passenger seat and it definitely kept me from the angle i wanted and they dont always place the anchor point of the sub-belt far back enough under you. Since you already have some eyebolts and I assume your not opposed to putting another one in your floor, that's the easiest route in my opinion.
Did you have to change how the 3-point belts attach to the car?

The DAS Sport roll bar bolts to the lower seatbelt mount on the rocker panel. This requires different hardware. The 3-point belt pivots on a shoulder of the original hardware allowing the angle of the lap belt to change with the seating position. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I may have answered my own question: https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/produc...-brackets#2470

Last edited by Locker537; 03-17-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

As you know every seat mount, car, roll bar configuration has a number of different challenges and options for mounting belts and especially when it comes to the stock belts. On my car the stock Boxster roll bar(where the top mount for belt is) was retained but I added a BK extension unit that has a place to reattach the upper belt. I used an eyelet bolt to remount/sandwich the lower stock belt bracket while using the eyelet for the 6-point. It sounds like your DAS bar lower mount occupies the spot where the stock belt mounted. Is there no way with proper extended hardware you couldn't remount your 3-point to it? It's rarely straightforward rigging all this stuff up. Attaching some photos of what worked in my situation. I've since mounted my inside 6-point lap belt to a eyelet on the tunnel.

Last edited by BFT3.2; 03-17-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions on roll-bar, seats, harnesses - DAS Sport