Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lead and Follow for Novice Drivers at DE???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:36 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have been watching this tread develop. First, the Ross Bentley Webinar was interesting, some very basic information, long-winded though. In my opinion, this will be what WE will need to do as a community dedicated to giving back.........HOWEVER< just because you are a good (in car) instructor doesn't simply translate to being a good lead follow instructor. Different skill set.....it will take some time to dial it in, and pre & post feedback for students will enable the effective communication needed to help them being to understand that driving on the track is not simply highway driving at higher speeds (for novices). It would also be helpful to limit laps, as it will be difficult (for instructors and students) to remember on lap 2 or 3 that the silver Cayman missed the apex on turn 6 by 3 feet....if they are doing 10 laps. It will take some time and preparation by the organizer to monitor the set-ups and make it work. Including handling student feedback about instructors...

RE: Safety belts: Since street cars don't have (time out) requirements, but harnesses due, in account of their mfg tags, what would anyone be able to say, if I simply removed? Technically, there would be no way to know if they were out of date.........?????????

RE: Lead follow:as someone who pedals a cup car... it is hours that matters ($$$$$) .......not that I am so fast (to the contrary, actually) BUT, I would need to decide if I wanted to pedal the car twice (?) as much as I would normally pedal my car, in a normal DE............

Old 05-22-2020, 10:45 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Been saying that all along.
It's the Greens and Yellows that fund these DE's and keep the $$ flowing. They are the future of our sport.
If we don't get the newbies, the sport will die as the rest of us age out, or worse...
Once we have a vaccine, I believe it will take a season or 2 to try and get things back to normal in terms of in car instruction for the newcomers.
It's really a matter of how long before we can instruct in car again.
Lead-follow is NOT a long term solution. I don't even see it as a short term solution. Don't think we will get the number of instructors necessary, especially at the higher prices they are going to have to pay. Not saying all instructors, but def some......or most.
Luigi's post above shows how many instructors are concerned with these issues. Need that vaccine...
Vaccines would be a game changer, but no one really knows how long it will take to have vaccines which are proven effective and safe, widely available, and used by enough people to make a difference.

If we can get treatments which are proven effective and safe, and widely available, that would also make a big difference if they drop the mortality rate substantially. That might happen sooner than vaccines.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:52 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup

RE: Safety belts: Since street cars don't have (time out) requirements, but harnesses due, in account of their mfg tags, what would anyone be able to say, if I simply removed? Technically, there would be no way to know if they were out of date.........?????????
Except all us Tech Inspectors know there should be dated tags on harnesses, so if you roll up without them, we'd just fail you right away...
Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Vaccines would be a game changer, but no one really knows how long it will take to have vaccines which are proven effective and safe, widely available, and used by enough people to make a difference.

If we can get treatments which are proven effective and safe, and widely available, that would also make a big difference if they drop the mortality rate substantially. That might happen sooner than vaccines.
All true....
Old 05-22-2020, 11:47 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
That is my feeling as well. I also get the impression that lead follow is used in many places simply because there is no alternative, i.e. open wheel cars and motorcycles. While I haven't tried it, it seems like the jump in skill set between being a right seat instructor and instructing from a car that I have to drive in front of my student is a pretty big jump especially because I don't race (I assume seasoned racers have much better rear view mirror skills beyond being good enough to recognize when someone is there).

Compared with the event sizes I'm accustomed to, I have a hard time seeing lead-follow scale to that size and associated cost.

I miss the track pre-Kung Flu, but ya gotta do what you gotta do, so I get the motivation.
Having raced, and having done rear view mirror lead follow -- there is a huge difference.

If I'm trying to instruct from the rear view mirror -- the amount of time I'm watching that mirror is frankly way too much -- I've done a lot of laps ay COTA, but the ones through the rear view mirror were pretty damn hard :-)

When racing you take a snap shot of what's behind you and you focus forward. When instructing through the mirror -- it was basically the opposite.
How often can you peak in the mirror and then remember exactly where everything and one is behind you -- now try that the other way around.

I felt like I was playing that kids memory card game at 80MPH through the Esses!

The lead car pretty much has to be leading -- and not instructing. The rear instructor is doing the critiquing -- because frankly -- what's in his/her vision profile is both the track and the students.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:47 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

I for one would love to give back and instruct on a lead follow basis. I do not have the risk appetite to ride in the right seat but would be pleased to help out in another way to more people going in the fantastic sport. Sign me up!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Maybe we need to recalibrate expectations and assume that the lead car in lead/follow would be setting a pace, showing the line, and telling the students in the following cars about things to look for and do - a "guided tour" of the lap - but NOT trying to observe and critique the driving of the students. That critique could be done after the laps based on video/data analysis, and education on general aspects of driving (braking technique, throttle application, hand positioning, etc.) could be done through other formats such as virtual classrooms.
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 01:04 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I have read through this entire thread. I guess I am struggling to understand why there is the need for lead follow? As mentioned here, and in the other thread about solo only, the social aspect of a DE weekend is probably 50% + of the enjoyment most people get out of the event. Obviously, the driving part is what brings us out initially. But I would argue that the social side is what keeps us coming back in the long run. It is also the social side of it that poses the greatest risk in the current environment. Being in the car on the track is not the threat zone. Sure, it can't be done exactly as it has been normally. There needs to be some accommodations certainly. But in many cases, those are already in place, or easy to add. Many students already wear full face helmets. Simply adding the requirement for everyone to wear balaclavas, and putting on driving gloves is better than 98% of circumstances you are around daily in public at the moment. Having sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizers available seems reasonable. I posted the comments below on the other thread.........

"IMHO, there is no reason they can't do like they always have. with the addition of having some hand sanitizer available, and masks if they are going to brief/de brief. for fox's sake, most everyone has full face helmets on, if not they need a balaclava. I have spent the last three months in most of the hot spots, being with another person for at least a week at a time in a cockpit. use some common sense and all will be well. if someone is higher risk, or concerned, then they should not participate. during this pandemic, some of the idiots that think this is fake need to be a bit smarter and some of the chicken little's need to grow a pair. sorry for the mini rant......"

For the last several months, I have been in cockpits flying in and out of the hottest zones for the virus.....Italy, Spain, NY, France. Regularly crossing paths with guys arriving from China. Wiping down the cockpit and headsets between flights, discipline with hand washing, and just general awareness has allowed us to keep operating safely. Frankly, sitting in the car with a head condom and full face helmet on is WAY lower threat. Those that are at higher risk, caring for those who are, or those who generally are fearful at the current time, should not attend. That shouldn't stop the events for the rest. IMHO, the conversation should be about how do you handle everything OUTSIDE of the in car instruction. That is the tricky part. Trying to develop a lead/follow program seems fraught with unintended consequences. Even racers tend to get target fixation when behind another driver on the track, instead of focusing on braking point, turn in, apex, track out, etc. Many new students are just not going to do well in this setup. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the lead.

Quick Reply: No Lead and Follow for Novice Drivers at DE???