Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lead and Follow for Novice Drivers at DE???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020 | 07:02 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I don't disagree with anything you're saying but several groups in Texas are back to having right seat instruction. I don't think it prudent at this point but it is being done.
yeah. I think the private organizations and country club groups have more flexibility, especially in places where there are few covid positives.
Old 05-19-2020 | 02:57 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Driver8
The current PCA DE Minimum Standards do not allow for lead/follow instruction, so at this time it is not allowed at any PCA DE event. The DE Committee is working with PTX on developing a lead/follow program. They are in the beginning stages of work and it will take time to develop, updated minimum standards, procedures for the regions and training for the instructors.

Thank you for you patience and understanding while our volunteers work on this new to us program.

Aaron
Only PCA White group and above are considered solo, however many Green and Blue students get soloed for the last two sessions on Sunday. So having solo Green and Blue students on the track must be covered by the current insurance. What would prevent soloing select Green and Blue students with sufficient experience from the beginning of day one?

Personally I don't want an instructor in my car the rest of this year.

I am soloed by NASA and Track Daze at Summit Point based on my number of track days there, so they will be my alternate to PCA.
Old 05-19-2020 | 07:40 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Just got an email from SCDA that they are proceeding with lead-follow instruction at their events this year
Old 05-19-2020 | 07:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
What would prevent soloing select Green and Blue students with sufficient experience from the beginning of day one?
As far as i'm concerned Green Solo = Lazy/Bad Instructor, Blue Solo (Yellow Solo in some PCA regions) run without an Instructor but usually should have one...
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary R.:
Manifold (05-19-2020), PGas32 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020 | 10:11 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Our region (Rocky Mtn) doesn't have access to a skid pad. It'd be nice if we did, that's one of the reasons I love auto-x so much, you can drive at 11/10's and learn car control in a relatively safe environment. We got an email the other day saying most of our events are cancelled, they hope to run track events starting in late July but right now no novice groups.

I was already backing away from instructing just due to the capabilities/speed of the cars paired with the lack of capabilities of their drivers. The risk wasn't worth the reward. At this point you couldn't put me in a strangers car as an instructor, period. This is something we do for fun, not for pay. Definitely not worth the risk at this point.

There's a strong possibility that a vaccine will *never* be produced for this virus. At that point we deal with it until it's run its course...
Old 05-19-2020 | 10:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I agree that more time on the skidpad would be preferable. A lot of students in newer cars are relying heavily on the nannies. When they either turn those off or get into either an actual race car or older car without the nannies, they are sometimes ill prepared and the speeds are generally a lot higher.

I've been to 1 car control clinic put on by a PCA region, but at that time my "instructor" didn't have any interest in me finding the limits of grip (in the pouring rain no less), so it was something of a wasted experience.
Old 05-19-2020 | 10:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Skid pad is IMO some of THE most valuable training anyone can get. However, they seem to be relatively rare

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 05-19-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2020 | 10:46 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Skid pad is IMO some of THE most valuable trading anyone can get. However, they seem to be relatively rare
Agreed. I feel that time on the skid pad was one of the biggest aids to improving my car control and comfort with car sliding around.
Old 05-19-2020 | 11:06 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I agree that more time on the skidpad would be preferable. A lot of students in newer cars are relying heavily on the nannies. When they either turn those off or get into either an actual race car or older car without the nannies, they are sometimes ill prepared and the speeds are generally a lot higher.

I've been to 1 car control clinic put on by a PCA region, but at that time my "instructor" didn't have any interest in me finding the limits of grip (in the pouring rain no less), so it was something of a wasted experience.
I may have been at that CCC.

Giants Stadium maybe 4 or 5 years ago? Monsoon Rains?
Old 05-19-2020 | 11:09 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I may have been at that CCC.

Giants Stadium maybe 4 or 5 years ago? Monsoon Rains?
Is that when the fire truck ran the slalom course?
-Paul
Old 05-19-2020 | 11:12 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Is that when the fire truck ran the slalom course?
-Paul
Possibly.

It was raining pretty hard the whole time and I was drunk and high, so possibly on the fire truck...

Just kidding.

I do not remember a fire truck running the course, but that woulda been really cool to see...
Old 05-19-2020 | 11:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

In addition to skidpad, most tracks have some slower corners with plenty of runoff, where you can safely 'play around' with the car to practice car control, as long as no one is behind you. I've encouraged students to do that, and I do it myself. You can also practice car control on wet tracks (I've never skipped a wet session), but definitely be cognizant of the runoff areas when doing so.
Old 05-19-2020 | 11:58 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Skid pad is IMO some of THE most valuable training anyone can get. However, they seem to be relatively rare
+10000

Abusing a Miata on a skid pad has been some of the most useful time I have spent learning car control. It is amazing how much of it translates to driving faster on track.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020 | 12:08 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

SCDA has skid pad control clinics at Lime Rock, also Lime Rock Drivers Club offer skid pad control on the roval skid pad and wet skid car control on the Oval skid pad.
The roval skid pad provides the Best opportunity to learn car control, practicing trail braking, and looking ahead with no barriers to hit.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020 | 12:14 PM
TXE36
Drifting

I am 100% convinced I would have either hit a friend's car or the T8 flag station that infamous day at TWS when some P-Car 4 cars up dropped oil if I hadn't been playing on the skidpad at a car control school two weeks earlier. The memory for me is still very slow, but it happened quickly and I was aware of what I could get away with and what I couldn't in the moment. I figure I left the pavement sideways at about 90MPH - the skid pad stuff prevented the stuff that followed from being a lot worse than it turned out.

Quick Reply: No Lead and Follow for Novice Drivers at DE???