Sponsored by:

Second time HPDE question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Message me if you need any ideas or thoughts on your build. Been 2 years since I completed my 400whp e36 ls1 racecar and it has been DEAD reliable.
looks nice. Apex wheels? Whos fender flares? The rear wing is my issue. Not sure i can get on board with the "big wing gang". I was thinking a e36 light weight wing.

This is my 2 for inspiration

Old 02-10-2020, 09:34 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Good advice above.
personally I never liked the NT01, I found the sidewall too soft. So when you push car in corner the side rolls a little and you feel like it won’t stick. You have to learn to trust the tire. For a beginner, that may be too much to ask.
a better tire would have been R888r as they have a much stiffer sidewall.

also, if you have SPASM, consider getting a DSC box from DSC sport.com
Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tgavem
Good advice above.
personally I never liked the NT01, I found the sidewall too soft. So when you push car in corner the side rolls a little and you feel like it won’t stick. You have to learn to trust the tire. For a beginner, that may be too much to ask.
a better tire would have been R888r as they have a much stiffer sidewall.

also, if you have SPASM, consider getting a DSC box from DSC sport.com
So far i agree with you opinion of the NT01 but i am hoping it was just too low of air pressure. Before i got tires i consulted with the guys on the Turbo forum. Almost everyone had to the same opinion of get the NT01 and not the R888R. There are several threads on the rear tires in the R888R de-laminating and separating in the turbo sizes. The general consensus was that it was due to the weight of the wide body cars and the rear engine. If it was only 1 person i would have shucked it up to a one time thing but in fact their was many many people with the same reports and pics. However i do think i may try them once these wear out just so i can feel the differences in tires.

As far as PSM. DSC doesn't make anything for the 996. PSM was on the 996, PSAM was on the 997 and DSC makes a controller. I am leaning more towards this was a lack of driver skill issue more than a nannie taking over prematurely
Old 02-10-2020, 11:05 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

A new option is Nankang AR1. Go to Phil’s tire service. Not sure if they have your width.

I used to drive a 996 GT3 with R888 and never experienced delimitation

Old 02-10-2020, 11:14 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tgavem
A new option is Nankang AR1. Go to Phil’s tire service. Not sure if they have your width.

I used to drive a 996 GT3 with R888 and never experienced delimitation
Saw some reviews on those.....Looks like Phils tire is the only place to find them. looks like they have my sizes in 245/40R18 and 315/30R18. for $1048.00 for a set i may consider them when the time comes. Also the Nankang website shows info Nitto won't give out. Nitto will not give tire pressure recommendations. This is the info from Nankangs website on their suggest Hot inflation.

HOT Pressure settings

<800kg 23-27.5psi

800-1000kg 24-32psi

1,000-1,400kg 27.5-37psi

1,400kg> 34-42psi <------ I am no expert. But my car weighs in about 200lbs over this rating. So i think my instructors suggestions of dropping the pressures down to 30psi hot may be the issue.

Were you running the R888 or the R888R. The R888 never had a problem and had a loyal following. It was when they redesigned the tire and it became the R888R that the issue happened.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:45 AM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Cool to see you started building a dedicated track car! I just came to a peace with leaving my 996 on the street. I would not change anything on your car except maybe tire pressure for the next event unless you just really hate the Nittos. The next time out you will feel more comfortable with the setup you have now that you just ran on. What helps me is to do a lot of iracing laps on a track I have not been to using the practice mode. I actually use it before going to track any, but definitely before new track. I got an iracing setup at the beginning of 2019 and I use it a lot to prepare myself. It allows me to find a good line and see how changes in the line have different effects. I also watch youtube videos of other similar specced cars. I take note of what works and does not work with the videos and iracing and then apply to driving. When I get to the track I feel prepared and ready. On the track I make minor adjustments through the weekend where I am struggling or see that I am leaving a lot on the table. I will also pay attention to what is working for other drivers. So I guess my advice is more pre-track preparation for yourself and not your car if you are not doing these things already. I know you have done a lot to your car so just start doing a lot for you now. Maybe take a set of pads with you though to next event. I would definitely buy track pads, but being that it is going to change how the car feels I would wait til have to use them to put them on though.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JSETarga
Cool to see you started building a dedicated track car! I just came to a peace with leaving my 996 on the street. I would not change anything on your car except maybe tire pressure for the next event unless you just really hate the Nittos. The next time out you will feel more comfortable with the setup you have now that you just ran on. What helps me is to do a lot of iracing laps on a track I have not been to using the practice mode. I actually use it before going to track any, but definitely before new track. I got an iracing setup at the beginning of 2019 and I use it a lot to prepare myself. It allows me to find a good line and see how changes in the line have different effects. I also watch youtube videos of other similar specced cars. I take note of what works and does not work with the videos and iracing and then apply to driving. When I get to the track I feel prepared and ready. On the track I make minor adjustments through the weekend where I am struggling or see that I am leaving a lot on the table. I will also pay attention to what is working for other drivers. So I guess my advice is more pre-track preparation for yourself and not your car if you are not doing these things already. I know you have done a lot to your car so just start doing a lot for you now. Maybe take a set of pads with you though to next event. I would definitely buy track pads, but being that it is going to change how the car feels I would wait til have to use them to put them on though.
good to hear from you. Kinda sad to hear your 996 isnt going full monty but i guess i understand. I really dont hate the Nittos. Just really really think we went the wrong direction with hot tire pressure. Buts its all part of the learning curve. I suspect i now know what it feels like to run low psi and have the tires start to overheat and get slippery , what do i know though. I havent gotten into sim racing at all. Guess its almost time to open that pandoras box. Been playing F1 2019 on playstation that the wife got me for xmas so i guess thats kinda similar but it would be nice to be able to race a virtual sebring before i go. I just dont know crap about the sim world. I def dont plan on making any car changes before sebring. Only 2 thing i have to do is fix a broken front cv axle boot and i do have to buy track pads. My last tech inspection the guy had made a comment about them getting close to replacement for sebring. I disagree as i have easily have life left but its better to have them and be prepared. Suncoast Tech sheet says min 3/16 pad life and i have way more than that.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
looks nice. Apex wheels? Whos fender flares? The rear wing is my issue. Not sure i can get on board with the "big wing gang". I was thinking a e36 light weight wing.

This is my 2 for inspiration
Yes, Apex 17 x 10.5 with Maxxis RC1 275/35/17 square setup. Fender flares are *universal* and work fine with some special trimming.
It's a blast tinkering with her and the wing is probably more aesthetics just to try to fit in with my buddies. We have a bit of a wing competition going on hehe....
Old 02-11-2020, 07:57 PM
cobradvm
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I run NT01s on my M4 that is rated around 1500kg - it seems to like 37 to 38 psi. Anything above that they start to feel greasy and the car is sliding around.

I'm not that familiar with PSM, but if I'm driving on the track, all the nannies are turned off. I would wonder about developing bad habits that the PSM is covering up? I'm certainly no instructor, but I think there's no substitute for learning how to catch oversteer than doing it with the nannies turned off. You may not be as fast knowing that the computer is not going to save you, but you will probably progress faster.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:40 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobradvm
I run NT01s on my M4 that is rated around 1500kg - it seems to like 37 to 38 psi. Anything above that they start to feel greasy and the car is sliding around.

I'm not that familiar with PSM, but if I'm driving on the track, all the nannies are turned off. I would wonder about developing bad habits that the PSM is covering up? I'm certainly no instructor, but I think there's no substitute for learning how to catch oversteer than doing it with the nannies turned off. You may not be as fast knowing that the computer is not going to save you, but you will probably progress faster.
Sounds like everyone agrees about the air pressure situation at this point....

I had the same inital thought on the nannies. Figured i would get a few events under my belt before i risk it though. I thought it would be best to learn the ropes before i try to hang myself.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:23 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I thought i recognized the Olemiss540 name from bimmerforums :P

30psi is way too low. That's your problem. Especially if you were running on them on stock width wheels. I've run a LOT of NT01s and i've always liked them at 36psi hot (245/40/17 on a 9" wheel)

NT01s are very well behaved r comps, i don't think the switch to them is that big a deal.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:43 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

PM sent
Old 02-12-2020, 11:12 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
good to hear from you. Kinda sad to hear your 996 isnt going full monty but i guess i understand. I really dont hate the Nittos. Just really really think we went the wrong direction with hot tire pressure. Buts its all part of the learning curve. I suspect i now know what it feels like to run low psi and have the tires start to overheat and get slippery , what do i know though. I havent gotten into sim racing at all. Guess its almost time to open that pandoras box. Been playing F1 2019 on playstation that the wife got me for xmas so i guess thats kinda similar but it would be nice to be able to race a virtual sebring before i go. I just dont know crap about the sim world. I def dont plan on making any car changes before sebring. Only 2 thing i have to do is fix a broken front cv axle boot and i do have to buy track pads. My last tech inspection the guy had made a comment about them getting close to replacement for sebring. I disagree as i have easily have life left but its better to have them and be prepared. Suncoast Tech sheet says min 3/16 pad life and i have way more than that.
In fairness, Sebring isn't Roebling... Which is why it's explained in this way.
3/16, or approx 5mm out of 11-13mm new is a minimum standard for PCA (some clubs state 50%). It doesn't mean you have enough to make it through a weekend there, especially if using factory/street pads. Track pads are a different animal, with a wide spectrum of wear and use rates. When it comes to Sebring, over estimate what you will need.
And as far as tire pressures, I personally ran NT01s for years with a similar set up. Approx 33 to 34F, and 36R full hot is where you need to be on these cars.
And, I have personally seen 3 different customer cars (all 911s) with rear R888R failures. Some aggressive track setups, others not as aggressive, but all experienced DE drivers using correct pressures. Wouldn't trust them on track until proven otherwise, even after waiting for a 305/35/18 set for 3 months while out of stock for my street wheels (wanted the right 18" fitment). I assume they were re-engineering after known issues.
Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions, especially if at an event with us, always happy to help!

Simon
Old 02-12-2020, 11:28 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ptech1
In fairness, Sebring isn't Roebling... Which is why it's explained in this way.
3/16, or approx 5mm out of 11-13mm new is a minimum standard for PCA (some clubs state 50%). It doesn't mean you have enough to make it through a weekend there, especially if using factory/street pads. Track pads are a different animal, with a wide spectrum of wear and use rates. When it comes to Sebring, over estimate what you will need.
And as far as tire pressures, I personally ran NT01s for years with a similar set up. Approx 33 to 34F, and 36R full hot is where you need to be on these cars.
And, I have personally seen 3 different customer cars (all 911s) with rear R888R failures. Some aggressive track setups, others not as aggressive, but all experienced DE drivers using correct pressures. Wouldn't trust them on track until proven otherwise, even after waiting for a 305/35/18 set for 3 months while out of stock for my street wheels (wanted the right 18" fitment). I assume they were re-engineering after known issues.
Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions, especially if at an event with us, always happy to help!

Simon
well, i guess we will be talking in person soon. I am going to call tomorrow to make an apt for tech inspection for the sebring event. Just got my parts to fix the cv axle today and Linda and Clarke @ Apex hooked me up with a great deal on a Simpson Hybrid and track pads. Should have those installed before the end of the weekend. I assume i will need to have my track wheels and tires installed for tech?
Old 02-13-2020, 04:41 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 667 Likes on 322 Posts

I will be at the Sebring DE and would be happy to help you with pressures and tire temps sure we can get car dialed in for Sebring.
Rich

Quick Reply: Second time HPDE question