Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on roll-bar, seats, harnesses - DAS Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 09:34 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

BFT3.2 - you nailed it. There's probably more than one way to handle this and I'm looking for options.

Schroth has a sleeve for this application that I think may be perfect, otherwise I will look for extension like you have from BK. Thanks for weighing in and sharing your setup.

Last edited by Locker537; 03-18-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:38 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Locker537
BFT3.2 - you nailed it. There's probably more than one way to handle this and I'm looking for options.

Scroth has a sleeve for this application that I think may be perfect, otherwise I will look for extension like you have from BK. Thanks for weighing in and sharing your setup.
Yes, Schroth has a lot of brackets, bolts etc etc that really help in rigging things up. To be clear about the "BK Extension", it's a roll bar extension that gives Boxsters a few more inches of headroom/protection in the event of a roll over(see photo). If you have a air-cooled SC then the top pivoting mount for the seat belt is on the B pillar.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:57 AM
Locker537
Instructor

That makes sense! Thanks
Old 03-18-2020, 08:25 PM
Locker537
Instructor

The small sleeve did not work as expected. The fastener in question calls for 55 ft*lb final torque, which deformed the sleeve.

Maybe the seatbelt being able to pivot is not that important? I notice in most people's pictures and setups if they kept the stock 3-point belts they are not riding on a shouldered bolt. They mount is pinched.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:43 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Yes right or wrong, where I did not have the option of being able to have one of the stock points be able to pivot freely, I "aimed it" in the proper direction as per my seating position and torqued it down.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:20 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
Yes right or wrong, where I did not have the option of being able to have one of the stock points be able to pivot freely, I "aimed it" in the proper direction as per my seating position and torqued it down.
That's my current game plan. Thanks for your input! I'm still waiting on my seats and harnesses to be delivered and decided that in the meantime the roll bar and stock seats are going in so I can enjoy the car amidst everything going on.

The sleeve didn't work, and sent me on a detour. When it deformed, it mushroomed and was stuck in the 3-point belt bracket (of course).
The following users liked this post:
BFT3.2 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 11:52 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Bars for Cars

"The only “truly bolt-in” option I have found is the DAS Sport 4-point roll-bar. I’ve spoken with PCA instructors who use this bar, and they like it for the reasons I mention. It bolts into the OE threaded seat belt locations which are structural." This is a nicely made bar, I have had several for various cars. In addition to DAS-sport, if I were in the market, I'd check out Cantrell, out of WA state.

The ideal brand depends on what car you are installing the roll bar in. If it's a Porsche, is it a 78 to 83 SC or a 84 to 89 Carrera, a 993, a 99 and later 996, 997, 991 car? There are different solutions for each model.

And realize, that bar that is your "friend" on the track, can knock you out in a crash on the street. One could conclude that in a roll bar equipped street/track car, you should wear your helmet.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Locker537
Instructor

The minor challenges keep coming. It's tricky to torque the bolts without having the 3-point bracket continue to rotate and throw off the angle. I need to figure out a way to hold it tight enough to prevent it from rotating.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:18 AM
Locker537
Instructor

To conclude this chapter, I took BFT3.2 advice and positioned the seat belt bracket where I wanted it and locked them down into place.

I originally was using wavy washers with the hardware, which I am rather confident is unnecessary, and it was causing the bracket to rotate when tightening. Swapped to flat washers and it was much easier to torque while maintaining the proper angle.

Next challenge was the stock seat rails hit the foot of the roll bar. I ended up grinding down an allen wrench to fit in the seat rail in order to properly tighten the bolts. I never intended to put the stock seats in with the roll bar, but I'm waiting on my Cobra seats still. With current events, I don't foresee a track day any time soon, so the stock seats let me get back on the road.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Sad but true...

Sad but true..."I don't foresee a track day any time soon, so the stock seats let me get back on the road."

Getting to the track in May would be sweet.....PCA has Willow Springs on May 30/31 for Time Trial and DE. I am registering for this as soon as it opens up.

Got to drive my "Baby" today, she must be getting lonely all tucked away in her garage. These cars need to be driven. Fortunately, the CA Central Coast area has many, many untraveled back roads.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Sad but true..."I don't foresee a track day any time soon, so the stock seats let me get back on the road."

Getting to the track in May would be sweet.....PCA has Willow Springs on May 30/31 for Time Trial and DE. I am registering for this as soon as it opens up.

Got to drive my "Baby" today, she must be getting lonely all tucked away in her garage. These cars need to be driven. Fortunately, the CA Central Coast area has many, many untraveled back roads.
I went for a nice hour long drive on Saturday and then another on Sunday.

Yesterday, Monday, it snowed.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:19 PM
Locker537
Instructor

My Cobra Suzuka seats arrived and I've run into a new issue.

My plan is to mount the seats without sliders in order to maximize headroom. However, I can't mount the seats back enough. The side mount hits the "foot" of the DAS roll bar where it attaches to the rocker.

Here are a couple pictures.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:49 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

I think you can safely "remove some material" from the seat bracket without effecting its structural integrity, of course Im not an engineer. I had to do the same.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:14 PM
Locker537
Instructor

I think you can safely "remove some material" from the seat bracket without effecting its structural integrity, of course Im not an engineer. I had to do the same.
That was my first thought as well. As I move the seats farther back, less of the side plate mount on the seat is in contact with the floor mount of the car. Ideally, I'd like for the two parts to overlap as much as possible but I suppose it is likely a structural improvement over the factory sliders.

I'll admit, with all the research I did I never considered that it was possible the seats would not fit. These challenges aside, they do fit but it sure it tight! The shoulder bolster touches the door card and the inside shoulder bolsters of the passenger and driver seat almost touch each other...
Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Locker537
Instructor

The saga continues...

I purchased planted seat brackets and Cobra seat sliders. The sliders give me the clearance between the roll bar "foot" and seat bracket in order to get the seating position correct. However, I've run into a new challenge.

I can't shift into second gear. It hits the thigh bolster on the seat.

Quick Reply: Questions on roll-bar, seats, harnesses - DAS Sport