Sponsored by:

Biggest field of E cars this year...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 12:47 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Niels e46 m3
Didn't seem slower based on our times at the past race @ Road Atlanta......

Dan tried, had a blast. Put the personal issues away and come try yourself.
Let's make sure to note that you were a lot lighter than E weight when you were running those bias plys.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:23 AM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Let's make sure to note that you were a lot lighter than E weight when you were running those bias plys.
Well this is important - but not a deal breaker. BoP can still be achieved through weight. I'm not sure how/if D can be helped enough, but truth is there aren't many D cars. I think there are likely more non-911 E cars. And to be clear - this proposal would effectively kill E, in favor of giving air cooled 911s one place to race together.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
^^^ this^^^

less wear and tear on the cars
Sorry but I'm not buying this argument. I don't know how you can get any better than at least one season per set of OEM rotors, and 2 race weekends per set of PFC pads. I replace wheel bearings once a season and never had any problems. Cracks in the chassis? To me that is just the cost of doing business while racing 35 year old street cars. Big deal.

If the less wear and tear vintage bias ply tires are just as fast as the R7, then run em. In E class. With the other E class cars on whatever tire they wanna run. I just don't understand the push to create a "spec" class on a "spec" tire. E class was just fine (ie the best class) the way it was. Save E Class!

But I digress... I'm semi-retired...
Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think the bias ply tires are as fast as the Hoosiers. The times are similar because of the weight reduction.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:21 PM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
yup, 150 lbs , 911 cup weight.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:23 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Sorry but I'm not buying this argument. I don't know how you can get any better than at least one season per set of OEM rotors, and 2 race weekends per set of PFC pads. I replace wheel bearings once a season and never had any problems. Cracks in the chassis? To me that is just the cost of doing business while racing 35 year old street cars. Big deal.

If the less wear and tear vintage bias ply tires are just as fast as the R7, then run em. In E class. With the other E class cars on whatever tire they wanna run. I just don't understand the push to create a "spec" class on a "spec" tire. E class was just fine (ie the best class) the way it was. Save E Class!

But I digress... I'm semi-retired...
The issue with stress cracks in the chassis is that PCA rules do not allow gussets or plates to reinforce or repair the chassis so if it cracks I think all you can do is weld the crack but that doesnt stop it from growing.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 AM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 182 Posts

Interesting rules proposal that could help D cars - allowing carbs to be a Prepared mod with a single class jump (v. two under the current rules). Would that help enough? Lower R&P would then be allowed, as well as bigger brakes, hwihc could help. Prepared would also allow a wing, metal flares and wider wheels (but having been down that route myself, I don't think they add any pace).
Old 07-31-2019, 11:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Interesting rules proposal that could help D cars - allowing carbs to be a Prepared mod with a single class jump (v. two under the current rules). Would that help enough? Lower R&P would then be allowed, as well as bigger brakes, hwihc could help. Prepared would also allow a wing, metal flares and wider wheels (but having been down that route myself, I don't think they add any pace).
Not unless you raise CR from the current 8.5:1 to a Euro 9.x:1 and match the cams.. Just tossing carbs on will do nothing but make your wallet $5k lighter. Running 15's is already like a 7:31 R&P, and bigger brakes are not needed. I agree, adding tire will slow a car with that amount of power down.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:29 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

.... As Gary says... neither do big brakes, nor a R&P, nor a wing. Guys with D cars should build out engines that max the rules envelope, using the 1980 US model spec, then get 200 pounds of relief.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
neither do big brakes, nor a R&P, nor a wing. Guys with D cars should build out engines to the full extent of the rules, using the 1980 US model spec, then get 200 pounds of relief.
Full extent of what rules buddy, current is 0 mods... to create a legal Euro is way over $10k (unless full DIY) regardless of what Clarke says. Have Bela price out a real Euro FD, lines, injectors, distributor and then price out changing to euro pistons and your almost there... After all that you have a 75lb reduction from a 3.2.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:47 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Just drive the D car faster
Old 07-31-2019, 04:40 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Just drive the D car faster
I'm thinking about just changing the letter on my car back to D and see if anyone notices
Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I'm thinking about just changing the letter on my car back to D and see if anyone notices
I won't. You're still a target.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:42 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I have no dog in the fight other than a desire to see big air-cooled car counts in the race track. I’ll offer this perspective:

from my eye eye the big andr growing classes in racing are SPB, SP1, SPC, Spec Miata, Spec E30, ... IndyCar and NASCAR are spec series also to a larger extent. I don’t know if you guys want a spec class or not, but consider maybe some of the things that make these series successful. Less classes, simplified and enforceable rules, and cost containment.

Feel free to ignore or roast this.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Forgot about this, what was waiting for me after dinner at TBolt...
Originally Posted by good hands
I won't. You're still a target.

He is having Bela decal his car up as you type!

Quick Reply: Biggest field of E cars this year...