Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 12:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,114 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
There is just one driver as part of the steward team, correct? I think if they were all drivers the result would have been different.

Originally Posted by Akunob
Just because a decision is unpopular doesn't mean it wasn't the right one...
People are sick of Mercedes winning and want anyone else, including Ferrari, to win. However, if the places were swapped in the race, I don't think I would feel any different.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:09 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

So far, I think the racers and team reps have comported themselves pretty well in the aftermath. I did not seem to me that Seb's behavior immediately after the race was horribly untoward. After all, in the end he is a human being. With thousands of hours of media training. But still human. As are the stewards.

I was warned to watch for "something" by a friend who watched the race before I did. No issues with that. When I saw what I thought might be the something... I will be honest: my immediate thought was about Charlie Whiting (RIP). Not sure that a person in his former role would be involved at all. But Mr. Whiting was my immediate thought.

May he rest in peace.

Hopefully everyone learns from this and moves on. Not only the incident, but the weekend as a whole.

I noted how both drivers were super appreciative of the fans. I though their comments about the crowd were genuine.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Just because a decision is unpopular doesn't mean it wasn't the right one...
Correct. But when you have several former F1 drivers and multiple F1 champions come out on one side and on the other side you have only Nico Rosberg (who is still on Mercedes payroll for promotional appearances and may be a tad bid biased), I'm going with the unpopular vote based on years of experience from a wide range of drivers who have nothing to gain either way.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:22 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Here's a question to all of you who race:

If you're leading a race, and have a really good shot at your first win of the season, and go off track with second place right behind you...do you say to yourself "Damn, I just made a mistake. I'll give up my my position and let second place go through."?

If you're a racer - Hell no!! You're going to fight to hang on with everything you got.

Seb has the killer instinct. Every champion has it. If the roles were reversed, I would have expected Hamilton to do the same. Do you think Kimi, Alonso, or Schumacher would have been thinking about a safe re-entry in the same situation? Ha!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:26 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Meanwhile, IndyCar seems to be picking up slightly in popularity, or is that just my imagination?
It's your imagination. Still nobody cares, and that's why the races are empty. I tried watching Indy from first race this season, and it's a spectacularly full-on JV league. The people racing there are there for a reason and not in F1... Sure there's more overtaking (sorta) but even a boring F1 race is more exciting. The cars just seem so slow, even though I know they aren't all that much, but that's my perception on-screen. I guess I'm just spoiled watching the incredible cornering speeds of F1 and compared, there's not a lot in Indy to make it a draw.

My input on MissionSpinnow Boy is he shouldn't have run off track and there wouldn't have been an issue. The grass isn't meant to be driven on. If he'd not made the mistake none of this would have happened. So it's his fault 100%. He does not race well under pressure and it shows. I'll be glad when he's left the sport.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:29 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
OK, the tyre change was NOT made at Mercedes request, Pirelli has been very clear on that, Seb said himself he agreed with the tyre decision last year. Finally and most importantly here, there is the concept of appropriate blame.... Seb opened himself up to the BS penalty, no one created something out of nothing. If Seb doesn't blow that corner then you aren't hear complaining about penalties and tyres. But Seb did make a mistake which has now turned into an FIA conspiracy and a discussion on tyres... Funny, the tires were working fine when Seb was leading and Charles was ahead of VB.

So stop blaming everyone else and just lay the blame squarely where it belongs. Seb. Without his initial mistake none of us are here discussing anything but Ferrari's return to form going 1 and 3 and finally breaking the Mercedes 1,2 run... Once again though, it was a self inflicted mistake...

I also just want to say because it has to be said, can you IMAGINE if Lewis went storming off to his trailer, had to be dragged back to the podium pouting and then changed the numbers of the cars in the Podium... Just stop and think about how Seb's behavior has been recv'd and what the reaction would have been if it was Lewis... Nah, no bias in this sport
All 100% spot on. It's honestly sadly hilarious people talking about how the FIA is in Merc's pocketbook when we're talking about SCUDERIA FERRARI!!! The ultimate in chumps of the sport in getting their way and bending the rules to their whims... Either a lot of armchair, fairweather newbs or just clueless commentators.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

the real issue here is not whether Vettel deserved a penalty (I think he deserved it) but that the 5s penalty is inefficient and has unintended consequences (eg hamilton just hangs back within <5s as he is not being pressured by Leclerc.

a better penalty than a 5s penalty is one of the following:
  • give up a spot to any competitor who is within 4s at moment of penalty assessment
  • no DRS for 5 laps
  • 1000rpm lower rev limit for 2 laps.
the numeric part of above penalties is irrelevant and could even be adjusted per track to make them "track neutral"

any of the above examples would result in continued racing (and a potential pass as a direct result) and maybe even improved racing as Vettel would have been able to make up for the penalty by re-passing which is more attractive for the viewer
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Correct. But when you have several former F1 drivers and multiple F1 champions come out on one side and on the other side you have only Nico Rosberg (who is still on Mercedes payroll for promotional appearances and may be a tad bid biased), I'm going with the unpopular vote based on years of experience from a wide range of drivers who have nothing to gain either way.
I don't disagree with you, the 5 sec penalty WAS an unpopular decision and I wish FIA rules could have allowed the stewards to instruct Vettel to give up P1 to Hamilton and continue racing from there. All the former F1 drivers are all now FANS of the sport (just like you and me) and fans like a show and for races to be determined on the track and not in the 'replay booth'. I totally understand their perspective but it is clouded by their desire to have a good show but F1 is a sport with RULES more than it is a show. Please read below for an excellent analysis of the issue by a former F1 driver...The ruling was correct and consistent and Vettel is his own biggest problem, putting on a sideshow to mask his lack of mental fortitude to withstand pressure from Hamilton.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/48583803
Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

...I wish FIA rules could have allowed the stewards to instruct Vettel to give up P1 to Hamilton and continue racing from there.
The Race Director has the authority to make that request. The Stewards do not. If that request is made and ignored, the Race Director can refer it to the Stewards.

For all of you critics of the Stewards decision in this matter -

Can you please identify, IN ADVANCE, which rules you would like the Stewards to ignore each weekend ? Thanks k-bye.

PHT
(currently holding an FIA International Steward license, Chairman of the Stewards of a large-ish pro road-racing series, bouncing back and forth over the Atlantic)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester

For all of you critics of the Stewards decision in this matter -

Can you please identify, IN ADVANCE, which rules you would like the Stewards to ignore each weekend ? Thanks k-bye.

PHT
(currently holding an FIA International Steward license, Chairman of the Stewards of a large-ish pro road-racing series, bouncing back and forth over the Atlantic)
Not sure but I think they would like it if the stewards conducted a twitter poll/vote before they make any decision like this. That would ensure that the majority feels happy and right about the decision regardless of what actually happened, what the rules are, or who is at fault. And happy majority is always good for the sport. Come to think of it, this twitter voting could also work for murder trials too. Opinions are like a$$holes -- everyone has one. Imagine the untapped potential out there!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Well this will go on for another 10 pages but the bottom line is that F1 has become a joke,....a very boring joke.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

FORMULA 1 / CANADIAN GP / []=19]ANALYSIS

Second steering wheel movement key to Vettel penalty

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...8qWojhXRRHGgWY
Old 06-13-2019, 12:15 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I wanted Vettel to win but he's always had this problem that he throws late blocks.

It's his emotions driving him to make a move after it's too late.

If you missed the chance to block then stay on your own side of the track. Not sure he's ever done that.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Billings
I wanted (substitute any front running multi-time world champion from the last twenty years here) to win but he's always had this problem that he throws late blocks.

It's his emotions driving him to make a move after it's too late.

If you missed the chance to block then stay on your own side of the track. Not sure he's ever done that.
FIFY.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I also just want to say because it has to be said, can you IMAGINE if Lewis went storming off to his trailer, had to be dragged back to the podium pouting and then changed the numbers of the cars in the Podium... Just stop and think about how Seb's behavior has been recv'd and what the reaction would have been if it was Lewis... Nah, no bias in this sport
THIS.....is probably truest point of these 10 pages....

I think the penalty could have gone either way, but stewards deciding a race sucks. Probably should have just "let them race" in the end....

But if it had to happen, I'm giddy as hell that it happened to Seb.

Multi 21 - M*****F***er.

Quick Reply: Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards